Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tarte - Lights, Camera, Lashes! Mascara Review

If there is one makeup item I cannot live without, it is, without a doubt, a tube of mascara or rather, tubes of mascara. There are different types of mascara formulas, ranging from the very wet to the very dry. I haven't explored mascara as much, as I've never had a preference.  When I made my little Sephora haul in November, my Tarte kit came with a mini mascara that I didn't opened until my most recent trip to LA.

Needless to say, I am in LOVE with it! The formula is on the drier side, which many of my bloggie friends swear by because it doesn't weigh down the lashes.




Tarte describes this mascara has a "push up bra" of mascaras - meaning, it lifts, volumizes, lengthens and curls. 

I would describe my lashes as short, sparse and minimal. So I appreciate any volumizing properties that mascaras have. 


The wand is thin and prickly to get the most stubborn of lashes. The formula reminds me very much of the Lancome Hypnose Doll Mascara (see review here!) and the Benefit Bad Gal Lash, which I love.


I'm really liking it a lot. I think this mascara really holds the curl well and since it's lightweight it also dries fast so I haven't had issues with smudging. 







It does a fantastic job in holding the curl and it volumizes fairly nice. It lengthens a lot though so I am thoroughly impressed with that alone. I also like that it's non-waterproof so it washes off very easily. 

Overall, I am very satisfied with this mascara! It does retail for a steep $19.00 for a full size and that's quite expensive for me to splurge. I am going to keep this mascara in mind the next time I need to purchase but it would be awesome to find a dupe.

Do you have any recommendations for mascaras with drier formulas? It can be drugstore or high end. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts! :)



You guys can also follow me on Facebook  and Twitter for blog updates! 








21 comments:

miemiemie said...

I love mascaras with dryer formulas! I think it works best on my asian lashes too! I love love love maybelline's lash stilleto in the red packaging! Next I'll try the l'oreal telescopic since its been highly raved recently :)

Amyboo said...

This sounds soooo nice! I haven't been really particular about my mascaras because I haven't tried enough of them...but I really want to try this one now! :)
Thanks for sharing!

Sheila said...

Oooo nice review!!

xo – Sheila

Enter
to win Dr. Hauschka Regenerating Eye Cream!

Lisa Chen said...

OHHH!! i will have to try this your lashes look AMAZING!! so high and lifted!! i want that hahaha :p

www.lisalovescoco.blogspot.com

mandy said...

The results look great! I don't wear mascara often but this sounds like one that fits my eyelash needs: lengthening & volumizing. If you find a dupe...do share :D I still can't justify spending so much on a mascara :X

Alimackin said...

I will have to try this. I issue is clumping I hate it@Amyboo:disqus  I did a post on mascaras that do not clump. Ugh no clumps allowed!
 
Ali of

www.dressingken.com

Cassandrapamela said...

wow it looks like a really nice mascara! your lashes look curled and full. I'd love to try this, but tarte isn't available in Germany :/

Mishi said...

This is one pricy mascara! I like how it lengthens the lashes though. I recommend Maybelline's Falsies. I've been using it almost daily because the gel texture seems to do a great job in lengthening and curling the lashes without it looking lumpy. Def. give that a try =) Also, this is super waterproof too. ^_^ 

mayaari said...

I like using this mascara with Benefit's They're Real mascara - the combination makes me look like I'm wearing false lashes :) and both mascaras work well on their own if I only have time for one coat. Most waterproof mascaras have a drier consistency - for drugstore mascaras, I like L'oreal

Joyceee said...

I love how black the mascara looks on you ^_^

Joyce @carouselstreet.com   

munchzilla said...

OoOo this sounds interesting I just threw away a couple of my older mascara so I am definitely in the market for a new one! So I am quite intrigued about tarte haha because I love how dark it looks on your eyelashes.

two plicates said...

your eyelashes kind of remind me of maybellines full and soft! it doesnt hold curl as well as your tarte one but its a fraction of the price!

xx M & L

Lisa Wong said...

I can't live without mascara either, but most formulas are hit-and-miss for me and smudge easily. The ones I keep going back to are Cover Girl.

Raimar Guevara said...

Wow this mascara looks absolutely georgus I need something for Volume and this looks georgeus. Btw now I´m following you i hope your follow me back.

xoxo

http://www.sakuranko.com/

Lily said...

Gorgeous!! I like Diorshow New Look mascara. Have you tried that? Tarte is not available here, so I haven't tried any of their products except the blush. I hope the brand will expand so I can get my grabby hands on some of their stuff :-)

miloberry blog said...

I love me some drier formulas too, which is why I usually stick to waterproof formulas or let the formula dry out if it's too "wet".  Seriously, I'm a major mega mascara junkie!!! LOL
For drugstore if you haven't tried Physician's Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Mascara, I can actually wear this without being waterproof and the formula is actually pretty dry- I've been enjoying this recently...
OR the Maybelline Mega Plush is another good one.  http://miloberry.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-maybelline-mega-plush-mascara.html
Come see my mascara reviews as well: http://miloberry.blogspot.com/search/label/Mascaras

laura said...

I have straight lashes, so I definitely need mascara that holds a curl! This looks great on you, Jen! My favorite right now is Urban Decay supercurl!

Sophie Bowman said...

Hey gorgeous, I am currently having a giveaway over on my blog at the moment, I would love for you to check it out :)

My Giveaway to win some glasses of your choice!



xxxx

Christine said...

i really love that mascara! i've been wanting to get my hands on it because i've heard ALOT of great things about it, and looks like it does the job for you too! your lashes looks so fab! :)

I hope you're having a beautiful day ~ XO
NEW POST: www.chriissydollxo.com

7% Solution said...

I love the way you put that pearl necklace in the photo!

Kathy said...

I'm a little slow to reply as I am catching up on reading blogs. Like you, I prefer drier mascaras because my lashes are stick straight. If I use lash curler to curl my lashes, I find that with wetter formulas, they uncurl very easily. Ideally, I'd like to use a curling mascara where I don't have to put my lashes through the torture of being curled by an eyelash curler but it's been a long time since I've found a mascara that does that. Something that I have used off and on throughout the years is Shiseido's eyelash primer. I apply it after curling my lashes and it holds my curl, even if I use a wetter formula mascara. The only thing is that it acts like waterproof mascara in that you need a good remover to completely remove it. It's an almost clear formula. My current personal favorite is Covergirl's Clump Crusher by Lashblast. The formula isn't waterproof but is smudgeproof and doesn't flake. I have found that if I apply it slowly and add several layers, my lashes will curl without using an eyelash curler and it lasts throughout the day. I don't use mascara often but this has to be my HG mascara for now.