Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dooney and Bourke Florentine Satchel

Hello friends!

I want to show you guys the newest edition in my bag collection! This is the D&B Florentine Satchel in Natural (small). I've been eyeing this bag for months and months because I really wanted to make sure my purchases now (whether big or small) are justifiable since I really want to invest in things that I won't regret. So far the new year has proved to be stable and pretty easy and I'm just in love with this bag. I feel like when I buy things I love, I don't have an urge to buy other stuff.


Isn't this satchel gorgeous? It comes from the Florentine line, and Dooney & Bourke describes the line as: 

Soft, supple Florentine Vacchetta has the look and feel of fine saddlery leather. And like saddle leather, it will develop an even richer patina with time and use. Matte finish brass hardware adds authenticity to the vintage style of the collection.

It's incredibly sturdy and the leather is fragrant and shapely. At first I was debating which bag to get because there are 3 sizes - a large/medium, small and the mini. After reading reviews about the large one and the small one, I decided to get the small bag because it fits me proportionally with my height and stature. I'm about 5'4" and the strap is still a bit too long even adjusted at its shortest but I'm going to get one of those puncher things online to make more holes in the bag. Even this "small" satchel is quite big. I'm surprised they would call this a small! It's more of a medium bag and i think it's also the most fitting for gals of any height.

This satchel measures at 13" L, 5.75" W, and 8" H. 


The leather is incredibly nice to start. It is made of saddle-like Vachetta leather, which means it is untreated (naked) leather and will likely darken on its own from wear and exposure to sunlight but I wouldn't complain. It is also durable, high quality and ages nicely. I would just need to protect it from getting stained and getting wet. I think there are sprays that can make it 'waterproof', to maintain its original form as much as possible. 



The bag is a tad on the longer side. I'm thinking of getting those leather hole punchers to add more holes to the strap. For reference, I am about 5'4" and even with the satchel slung around my torso like that, it doesn't look or feel out of place or awkward.

I absolutely love the look and feel of the bag. It is roomy inside and has compartments and I love the secure gold zipper. The hardware on this bag is built with such quality that I really can't see any flaws with it. The arm handles are great and the detachable strap is also convenient and stylish. I might look into the Smith bag (from the same line) for work.

Sorry for the bad pictures. I was really eager to snap pics of the bag regardless of whatever I was wearing. 
This bag retails for $368.00, which I think is a fair price for the quality and hardware but I was able to snag a brand new one from a reputable seller on eBay for $199.00 shipped! 

You can check out the Florentine satchel here - and eBay

What do you guys think of this bag? Or D&B in general compared to labels like Coach?





  


20 comments:

reneerx said...

I have two of their bags and compare to Coach, I like them better. I am never a fan of Coach bags. My complain about D&B is most of their bags are quite heavy, and most of their designs are formal looking. But I think their price is very reasonable, and quality is very good and durable. 

Cassandrapamela said...

oh beautiful bag!!!!
I love the color and the fact that you can wear it on your hand or as cross body with the longer straps, practical but chic!
handbags are my weakness! I just can't get enough of handbags ;))

Joyce said...

I have this bag too!! I bought it about a year ago when Dillard's was having a 30% off Family & Friends Sale and love it cuz it matches with almost any outfit and it's perfect for work! 

It darkens and softens with age and especially if you carry it in the rain (which I prefer not to). I use the Apple Rain Stain Repellent by LeatherStuff to protect it.I'm 5'2" and didn't want to get the large version because it's too big for my stature and heavy. I'm really happy with the small one and I agree that it's very roomy inside.It does scratch easily, but it can be easily fixed by rubbing your fingers on it because of the natural oils produced by your fingers.

Jamie Panganiban said...

Love it! I've been wanting a bag in that color and I had no idea d&b has one! Thanks for sharing :) 

mandy said...

If I didn't already have a satchel I'd really consider saving up to get this one. It doesn't look small at all! What a great price you got it for too :D

Janet said...

the bag looks so pretty, I have a similar one to from Charles & keith ^_~

Stephanie Lau said...

Comparing D&B with coach... I'd say your purse is much more laid back! I love purses with a shoulder and arm strap... very convenient :) 

BeautyReflections said...

I love it! Is it heavy though? I find their bags a tad on the heavy side.

Stephanie said...

This satchel is so cute! I love the construction and satchel bags have always been a favourite of me one :) I'm glad your new year's resolution is going well, and to save so much money getting this too! What a fantastic steal!! Vachetta leather are very durable :)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Thanks Steph! :) I agree, it was a steal! =P

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Not super heavy but it's pretty hefty from the leather :p

Mandy T said...

wow!!  what a cute bag!  Something I would definitely buy and love!

Larie said...

I like the color! And it looks like a great bag - roomy enough to put stuff in, but small enough to manage.

Julie said...

This bag is lovely! Great colour. xx

Anna said...

I love the color it's gorgeous! <3

laura said...

OOOOOOOOH! I love that bag. The color is so decadent and it just looks so buttery soft! I know what you mean about long straps though! I'm 5 feet tall and everything with me needs to be shortened!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
the shop of worldly delights

Unknown said...

that is a really good deal for that purse. I saw the bag in stores, i thought they are really cute.

Indira Cherietmoi said...

Wwwaaww... gorgeous satchel!! Love the tan color as well!

Bravoe Runway said...

Love this bag, they had a python version over the holidays I was thinking to get but only avail in the large size and it was too big on me. I love this, hope you enjoy it!

rooth said...

Cute bag!  I'm looking for one that's not black right now and having the hardest time deciding on what to get