Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cantu Shea Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream


All my life I've dealt with "different" hair amongst my family and Asian peers. I have a ton of hair, very curly 80% of my hair, the other 20% straight. Some parts of my hair is quite course as well, but my hair texture is still very soft and I consider it to be relatively healthy now compared to when I was growing up. But the main thing that's problematic for me is the frizz! I think my whole life I always struggled with the image of wanting straight flowy hair so badly that my self esteemed was lowered significantly and i hated how my hair looked and did everything I could to keep it controlled.

Since then I've tried every cream, serum, leave-in conditioner, oils, Keratin treatments, etc that I could use to control the frizziness of my hair and while some worked really nicely (Biosilk, Kerastase, Chi), it still wasn't perfect and my hair didn't always respond to it. And also the fact that the mentioned products are not very wallet friendly kind of defeats the purpose if it sometimes worked to my liking.

So I searched high and low online and off, and stumbled across a leave-in conditioner at Target from this brand called Cantu Shea Butter. I didn't think much of it because it was in the ethnic hair section and the price was only $5.99 for 16oz of product (too cheap, I thought how could it work?) but I kept it in the back of my mind to research it. I am really happy I did because to my surprise, it's got really good reviews online. Most of the reviews are written by African American ladies with very course/kinky/curly hair and even though I don't fit into the category exactly, I decided to give it a go because what could I lose besides $5.99? Kerastase hair treatments start at  $40+ which is a total splurge given its luxurious line.

Image Source: Google

I bought this cream expecting absolutely nothing but it turns out that this leave-in treatment does wonders for my hair! It's hard to put into words really, aside from the fact that it's better than all the expensive products I've used. I get the same results as I would get with the Biosilk serum but for less than a quarter of the price.


 I'm not sure if I posted this picture on my blog before, but it's an oldie. This was taken years ago before I did the Japanese hair straightening for the first time. At the time I also never dyed my hair, used heated tools or anything! Crazy huh? Now, it's gotten better texture-wise but it would still turn into this frizzy nightmare if I went natural and not use any products.

Since discovering the Cantu Shea Butter, I've only it as a leave-in on dry hair or towel dried hair. You could use it as a very intensive treatment by coating your hair with it and using a shower cap overnight for maximum absorption but I haven't had the need for it. I just very simply use a dime sized amount, rub it around my palms and coat it around my hair with a thin layer. It's gotten so much smoother over time, the frizz has actually improved and my hair bounces a lot more than it did before. I'm just really satisfied with this and how it's helped my hair so much in the past month.


This my most current photo at the moment. And it's improved 100%. I really credit this to the Cantu Shea Butter. 

Some of the highlights about this leave-in treatment:

1. Contains proteins for your hair and many essential oils that your hair can absorb. 
2. Provides heat protection and sun protection
3. Real shea butter that's on top of its ingredient list
4. Free of sulfates and parabens
5. Little goes a long way! I use a dime sized amount every time
6. Price - You can't beat it. $5.99 for a 16oz tub at Target!

Ingredients: Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Panthenol, PPG 1-PPG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Lanolin Oil, Cinnamidopropyl Trimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride/Acrylamide Copolymer, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Benzophenone 3, BHA, BHT, Zea Mays Oil (Corn), Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance 

I highly recommend this product to anyone who has very frizzy hair, course or dehydrated hair. It is probably not suitable for those who have thin hair because I think the product can weigh your hair down. 
I also really like the scent, it's pleasant. Smells like what you would imagine for shea butter... warm coconutty smell? :) 

Have you tried this before? What works for your hair and why? I'm curious to know! 






21 comments:

emmabovary said...

wow that is a great difference!

kumiko mae said...

you know, like you i suffer from hair woes myself! omg but my hair is so much better now. i think it helps that im using chemical free shampoos. ive been using human heart nature hair products and by golly i swear theyr amazing!

나니 said...

My hair is exactly the same -__-" Forever HUGE and FRIZZY and WILD. My god.. I felt that air drying helped on the frizzy part. but oh well..

Anonymous said...

definitely quite rare for Asians to have the curly hair gene. It seems the treatment has tamed your hair well! I have never heard of this brand but it beats spending $40 on a single product!

Gellie Abogado said...

omg, this seems like a brilliant product. thanks for sharing ;)

PinkOrchids said...

Woah I can't believe your hair was that frizzy!! Glad the conditioner is working for you. I would offer my pearls of wisdom on hair but unfortunately I have none. I know a few people who got that Japanese straightening done too and it has worked well for them. xX

Sunny said...

I don't think we get this here! My current go-to leave-in conditioner is Fekkai Marine Summerhair Smooth-Sailing Anti-Frizz Cream. Not only is it the best leave-in conditioner I've tried on my hair after my perm, it actually helps hold curls which is amazing!

Laces and Shades said...

I am happy for you that you found a hair product that works. I used to have very straight hair before I got a perm about 5 years ago. Ever since then the new hair that grow out is wavy. My parents wanted me to get the Japanese hair treatment that you mentioned. I felt very hesitant. Sounded like you had a good experience. Have you tried the 3 mins conditioner mask by Loreal?

Amy said...

WHOA! The difference is huge!! O___O This looks like a miracle product. Your hair looks great now! I must get this...

MissS.elle said...

Wow there's a huge difference!! Glad to know that it worked so well!

Tracy D said...

The difference is unreal..wow! And that coconutty smell gets me every time.

Sharlynn said...

Wow! That's all your natural hair in it's big glory? I'd never thought you had such wild locks! It looks far more tamed now in comparison! It's much easier to manage I'm guessing, good to hear it's working for you. I recently threw out a shea butter conditioner I finish, it did nothing for me!

Tracy said...

wouldn't you agree that once you've tried Japanese straightening, your life changes and that it's impossible to go without? I feel just like that at the moment and I wish I had a japanese hairdressers to whip my hair into shape. Your hair is looking much tamer now for sure!

Unknown said...

You know, I used to have nice, super straight hair. Now, it's wavy and thick lol. This product sounds really good and the price is not bad at all.

Nunu said...

Wow, that is really a huge difference!I have quite a big of frizz too and hair that is wavy in odd places so I have some idea of your troubles with your hair.
As the fiance has curly hair, I'm sure our kids will love us for their fro.

Bravoe Runway said...

I think my hair texture is quite similar to yours. my saving grace? The full line of Redken's Smoothdown, relatively reasonably priced when you can get the liter shampoo and condition for $14.99 on sale at Ulta and the styling products at buy 2 get 1 free. I also use a flat iron to totally iron on the frizz, my saving grace? Missiko hana titanium flat iron...it's better than a ceramic version.

John Petter said...

Its really a nice product.
Clearly Natural

Unknown said...

Bravoe: Thanks for the rec! I am going to go to Ulta and check it out! :D Same with the flat iron... I just use a ceramic one but I guess titanium is better :)

METROX LOVES YOU the blog. said...

Great post! Interesting review as always! ;)

Love,
MLU the blog.

Eden-Avalon said...

It really has done wonders for your hair, though i'm sure your improved caring for it has helped as well. Don't worry - I used to have hair like the first picture as well. I'm not sure what happened (I actually don't condition at all anymore!) but it gets better!

Unknown said...

Whoaaa I must try this miracle! My hair looks like the before pic on humid days xD so if I see this, I will definitely take a gander!