Saturday, June 18, 2011

My First Lush Product! Lush Ultrabalm is as balmy as it sounds - A Review

Lush is everywhere these days, but especially on blogs! I can't help but see people reviewing bath bombs, body butters and face creams all from Lush. Being the easy to convince person I am, I sought out to try something beginners level before divulging in the world of their bath and body stuff. That and their handmade things have expiration dates so I can't go too crazy without finishing my surplus of things at home first. So I decided that the Ultrabalm would be best. I mean, no one has enough of balms right?



Ultrabalm is a body balm that is intended as an all purpose moisturizer to protect, heal and relieve problems in your skin. It's suitable for dehydrated skin (elbows, anyone?) dry lips, cuticles,anything. I even use it to tame those pesky flyaways in my hair and to seal in my eye cream at night. Since it's made without petroleum or mineral oil, there is no greasy residue left behind. The balm completely absorbs and the only feeling you get is the softness on your skin :) Yay for that!



It looks like a pot of lard huh? It's actually a solid texture but it just melts at the touch of your fingers. This is probably because the first ingredient is jojoba oil (organic). The scent is a little strange... I get the hint of birthday cake vanilla with an herbal bouquet. Not the most pleasant but doesn't linger at all.


 It costs $12.95/1.5oz (45g)  at their official website. Not a bad value for the amount of balm you get because a little goes a long way, but you have around 14 months to use it before it expires. A good idea would be to separate them into smaller pots to have it be more travel friendly so you can really stretch it out but still have it with you everywhere.

My overall thoughts is that this is a good quality balm to have around. You have to be vigilant to use it in a short amount of time, but  since it's very multipurpose, it's something to have in case you do need it. Better for me to have it than without i guess ;) I alternate this between my beewax salve one from Burt's Bees. It's probably not suited for people who are afraid of germ harboring tin containers =p



Enjoy your weekend everyone!! :) Talk to you all soon.
What are your thoughts this balm or Lush in general? What is the next thing from Lush I should try? :)





29 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never tried anything from LUSH. It makes my head hurt whenever I come in the store because of all the scents and stuff :(

But this product sounds really good. I like that it's multi-purpose so one can finish it before it expires :)

ice pandora said...

I love Lush aswell ^^ their assortiment smells good but I don't like the facts that they expire really quick.
Jojoba ingredient = <3

xx

Ashley said...

I had a friend who used to work at Lush & he gave me a sample of a bath bomb once. Good thing I lost it cause I'm pretty sure I would have been addicted. I'm going to stay a Lush virgin for life (I hope)!

PEACHY PINK SISTERS said...

I love their soaps. Karma soap is my favorite of them all! It's a must try! :P -Dawn

.. said...

i'm yet to try a lush product this winter! their bathbombs and some of their "melt-able" soaps looks amazing!

Frances said...

I've been dying to try LUSH as well!! But I just couldn't find a local store, and I don't want to order it online :T you should try bubble bath next XD although I've never tried it but that's the one I really want to try!

RE: yes I know!!! WHYY!!!!! *screams with you*

Jen said...

I got given a Lush bath set last christmas.. and I can't use it since I don't own a bath - what a waste~ The shop smells SO over-powering, i can barely stay in there long enough to buy something >_<" im amazed at the salesperson.

SiSi Sparkles said...

I like these multipurpose balms! Thanks for the review dear:]

Makeup and Mutts said...

I have never tried lush! :) Really want to though. Great review!

Dovey said...

I'm a LUSH junkie--- I'm fortunate that I actually love the store smell, and it doesn't give me headaches. I'm really surprised that your first pick is Ultrabalm (as opposed to one of their crazy bombs and jellies and soaps)! I haven't tried this one yet, so your post was quite helpful. I have a bunch of Burt's Bees salves which last forever, so I'll have to get through those first before I can give this a try.

Summer said...

I love Lush products! <3 This seems like a great one, will have to add it to my shopping list :)

http://thedollhousediary.blogspot.com/

B said...

I too have just purchased my first Lush product. I have no store near me which is sad :( So I had to order online.

allthingssgirly.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I have the berts bee one and love the product. But I guess I am as you said, not a big fan of tin containers. I am making mine all sticky when I close it with applied hands haha. I have never tried lush! But from all the reviews and stuff it seems like they have great products. Do you recommend other products?

Barbara von Enger said...

I've yet to try Lush's products. In fact the product line Lush was unfamiliar to me until I read this post. A well-written review you have here. Glad to hear you are pleased with their products. Have a nice Sunday;-)

sugar sugar said...

Interesting product! Will check this out the next time I visit Lush. I also use some of their products and I think I know why people constantly rave about their brand. =)

Anonymous said...

i really like their lip scrub - kinda yummy :D i just bought lush too XD

ShinyPrettyThings said...

LMAO abt it looking like lard...totally does I love LUSH!! idk if i could use it all in time though. i rarely finish anything makeup wise hahaha just keeping getting new stuff. terrible habit >.<

Mindy♥ said...

I've only tried one Lush soap before and thought it was great! :) Thank you for your quick review!

Hollie said...

would love to try LUSH products, been hearing so much about them.

Bibi said...

Oh my, seems like everyone is using Lush products! I should find a store asap and buy something! I haven't heard one bad word about their products.

cocoabee said...

i think its so cool that they put a sticker of the employee that made the product on the bottom. kinda creepy for the employee though...

45g is a lot of lip balm! most are like 4.5g O_O

Unknown said...

Oh sounds great! It sounds very similar to the Smith's Rosebud Salve from Sephora. :D

Beauty and the Scientist said...

I'm a huge Lush fan but I haven't tried this yet, I may go and get a sample first.

Donna said...

i love all purpose balms! i still have my rose salve :D. i haven't tried any lush products yet too, but a few months ago, a good friend of mine sent me one lush soap ^^.

thanx for the comment on my blog :). i did wonder too what caused me to break out? are the sana ones on the white bottle all natural? was it the fermented beans taht broke me out? lol i know weird, but i guess like most products it can work differently on others.

ThisIsAlx said...

Wow great review I dint think I've ever purchased anything from lush before because I think it's expensive n all bug now come to think of it , it seems to be very affordable specialty because it has organic n natural ingredients n bc it's hand made AND the great quality so I might actually indulge in lush once j finish some of the stuff at hone :) but this products look so multifunctional, I like specially used to tamming ur hair!!! So creative :)

Femme Virtue said...

i'm currently looking for a balm due to my extremely dry skin, this definitely looks promising!

Mara said...

I haven't tried anything from Lush. For some reason I'm just not too big on Lush or The body shop items. Maybe I just haven't found something I truly like yet? :(

AS said...

sounds perfect - i seem to try everything but nothing has helped my dry lips or skin this hot hot summer - must try this one out xx

Red Lips, Black Hair said...

Great review! Now I really want to try this! I've been looking for an alternative to Burt's Bees Hand Salve which I used to use in my hair and this looks like the perfect substitute!