Saturday, May 21, 2011

Review: Alternative to Micro-Dermabrasion with Dual Action Refinishing Treatment

I've noticed visible improvements since I started using Estee Lauder's Dual Action Refinishing Treatment. It's pretty much a facial scrub you only use once or twice a week, and is jam packed w/stuff that works. They claim to resurface your healthiest skin by scrubbing off dead skin cells so your skin will look instantly brighter, pores will be smaller (after continued usage), and your overall skin texture will be softer and more radiant. I've never done any glycolic peels or micro-dermabrasion because it sounds like a hardcore method =p I'm just a teensy afraid of anything that has "peel" in it when referring to our delicate skin. But to retain your healthiest skin, some sort of exfoliation must take place in your skincare routine to rid away of dead skin. Scrubs are a good way (less hardcore) since they're readily available everywhere. Since I do regular facial scrubs with my Yes to Carrots routine once a week, I decided to swap that for a bit and try the Estee Lauder one since I've heard outstanding reviews.




What it is: A multi tasking facial scrub in the Idealist line used as an alternative to micro-dermabrasion and glycolic peels. Their website also says that it has concentrated levels of salicylic acid glucosamine. Both of which are beneficial for the skin. Salicylic acid keeps pimples away and glucosamine stimulates collagen. 
Texture: It is a pasty grainy/sandy texture. Very concentrated and not watery at all. 






Scent: Has a minty herb smell. Very mild.
Strengths: The scrub activates with water to create a warming sensation on your face. It also opens up your pores to allow deep cleaning. I also love that scrub is very smoothing on your skin and washes off very easily. My face felt instantaneously refreshed and clean. Afterwards, use a good serum on your face so you can absorb all the good things in your night creams. 
Weaknesses: None at the moment, but just for nitpicking, they can make a more pleasant scent instead of the medicinal one it comes in.
Packaging: Simple squeeze tube with a twisty cap top. It's like a large toothpaste. Practical, non pretentious and usable.
Price: $49.50 on Esteelauder.com for 2.5 oz (75ml). 
Overall: Although it's on the pricier side, this really can stretch for months if you use it once or twice a week. I use a pinky nail amount each time and I still have a lot left, more than half. I'm really loving this scrub because I've noticed that my pores have gotten smaller after 4 weeks of usage and my skin texture has improved tremendously.  I used to have rough patches under my lip but it gone now! Blemishes have become lighter and my skin has become softer. Total thumbs up! ^_^


Here's a FOTD from yesterday. I used the Refinishing Treatment the night before.


DSCN1487


DSCN1485


DSCN1488


I didn't even use foundation! :D Yay! Just a light sweeping of blot powder after using sunscreen.


Face products used:
Cancer Council Australia SPF 30 - Wonderful, moisturizing sunscreen! I won this in a giveaway over a year ago and I fell in love with it! If you like Eucerin's SPF 30 lotion, you'll love this too! I'll review it soon!
Mac Blot Powder - Nice, translucent powder that absorbs oil like a pro :) 
NYX Blush in Natural - Love this :)


Eyes:
Stila Little Black Dress Gel Liner - I love this! It lasts all day and doesn't smudge!! I may have over lined. I normally don't line the bottom because it gives me a dramatic look, =p
NYX Romance palette - Daily neutrals. There's nothing like 'em!


Lips:
Mac's Hello Kitty Lip Conditioner in Pink Fish - One of my favorite lip balms these days! Too bad it's LE :/ 






Alright ladies, I hope you all have a fabulous weekend! :) Off to be a couch potato! ^_^ 


Everything was purchased by me! :)



28 comments:

Makeup and Mutts said...

Your skin looks amazing!

Unknown said...

This looks really interesting. I've been looking for something to really resurface my face. Maybe I'll try this product before I get any procedures done at the dermatolgist's office. Looking into chemical peels and such.

Unknown said...

Great review! Your skin looks so beautiful! Im so jealous! ^^ But it really sounds nice.

http://yamismakeup.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

Ahhh! Now I want to try this! ^_^ Your skin definitely looks great!

Unknown said...

That sounds awesome..! No irritations either? I'd love to do some micro resurfacing cuz lord knows my skin texture needs it :( but I get really sensitive to scrubs with beads that are above a certain size :P Your skin looks very beautiful --

Celina (Fables in Fashion) said...

Wow smaller pores!? Okay, I def need to try this out :) I would give so much to make the pores on my nose smaller >_<

Joy said...

Your skin looks amazing! This sounds like such a great product, I really want to try it now! xx

ashura said...

Okies I am looking for a new scrub and I might just try the EL one. It sounds pretty good, and EL usually works for my skin.

sugar sugar said...

your skin looks gorgeous! :) this seems to be a good product! thanks for this review. =)

Unknown said...

This sounds like a really good scrub - I haven't really found any face scrubs that I particularly like. I used St. Ives once but found the particles to be too rough and uneven. This one sounds like it would be gentler on the skin :)

MissS.elle said...

Oooh you are tempting me now :P The last time I read about your post on the Clarins toner, I bought it and I'm totally hooked on it now XD

Winnie said...

Your skin looks clear! It seems like a pretty good scrub! I stopped using my scrubs mainly after switching to be using the clarisonic - But I do miss the feeling of scrubbing off the top gross layer of dirt on my face haha. You look great with the Hello Kitty conditioner too :D

Anonymous said...

Hi :) Nice blog you got there, I was wonderin if we could be friends and follow each others blogs? ^__^ Thank youuuu.~

Anonymous said...

Hi :) Nice blog you got there, I was wonderin if we could be friends and follow each others blogs? ^__^ Thank youuuu.~

Jess said...

Your skin looks so soft! I have tried this 'scrub' from a sample that I got some time ago, and it felt a little harsh on my skin which tends to be quite sensitive in places.

But after reading your great review, I might eventually ask for another sample to try out again next time I'm at the Estee Lauder counter! ;)

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

i have to say it's a common misconception that peels are scary...and it's not hard core or extreme! professional esthetic peels are very different than what doctors give you - and not all chemical peels are glycolic acid -and microderm+glycolic are not all suitable for skin types, esp. acneic skin types and sensitive skin types. that is why you have a consultation appointment...just a word of caution, anywhere that offers "peels" when you 'walk in' is kind of suspicious. You always get a consultation first, and then return later - for safety. at home peels are usually not the same potency - and on the flip side, you can easily injure yourself with the wrong type of scrub (I am not referring to this one) or at-home microdermabrasion machines. now that's scary to me! on the same note not everyone can use scrubs too!

but thanks a lot for your thorough review - I am very suspicious (not in a bad way or anything!) that estee lauder, after acquiring aveda in 2007, developed this scrub based on a backbar item. your photograph that shows the consistency is interesting - I am curious. At aveda we have a treatment called Botanical Skin Resurfacing and the punch line is "Your best alternative to microdermabrasion without the irritiation and redness" super intriguing!!!!!!

Dreamy Princess said...

Hate big pores and blackheads!
I just use scrub cleanser from clean & clear for few days in a week to reduce naughty balckheads.

Love your FOTD. I like the color of Hello Kitty conditioner. Your lips look fresh!(:

Thank you for your compliment in my blog. I never noticed how my skin look like. Maybe because I'm too used with it m whole life(:

Cheers,
Dreamy Princess

nisa said...

OMG you look so flawless >__<

Saving Capulet said...

you look so so flawless! I took note of this, I'm sure my face needs all the skin care it needs right now

Angie | Pandaphilia.com said...

your skin glows so lusciously! it looks like a nice product :) hehe i passed b/c it wasn't like i SUPER needed it. i will definitely go back and look for it though keke

D.Sadie (D.G.S.Beauty) said...

You have gorgeous skin! =)

Tiff said...

This looks great! Although it is pricey... I have to stop reading beauty blogs, everyone tempts to to buy beyond the drugstore :(! Plus I still haven't really found a good scrub for my face so this has turned into an even more dangerous situation... I can't even say 'no, your current [insert item here] is great already' because I don't have a good scrub!

And i'm glad that the Cancer Council sunscreens are good... they have a tinted moisturiser that I was interested in but I was scared it'll be thick and hard to use. I'll try it out now, it goes towards cancer research so it wouldn't be a waste anyway.

Hollie said...

wow! really healthy looking and glowing skin!
Glad to know it worked wonders on you.

Curves Ahead lifestyle blogger said...

great review you have great skin !!! thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment = )

Oneiro said...

So helpful! I might give the scrub a try nao.. haha :P

Unknown said...

omg, your skin looks amazing!!

jane said...

I notice this when I stop by your blog but I really think you have pretty eyes! They compliment your face very well, very lucky :)
I totally want a micro-dermabrasion but I'm only 18! Is it totally unhealthy that I want one already hahaha. But I won't allow for it until I am over 20. Great post, love the lip color as well :D

Beige Renegade said...

omg your face is radiant!! I am going to have to try this! Thank you so much for sharing :)

Btw I have followed you ^^

http://closetvoyage.blogspot.com