Sunday, February 27, 2011

Review: Laneige Water Sleeping Pack_EX

I am riveted by Asian skincare, with the numerous steps to achieve youthful skin. I love how Asian women really take their skincare routine seriously. It is beyond purchasing a simple moisturizer, rather, it is like a ritual of praising the sublimal skin gods to grant luminous skin by following a tedious routine of cleansing, toning, masking, spritz and spraying and balancing all the properties of the skin (not in the same order). It's something worth noting though, because a lot of Asian celebs have flawless skin.




One of my good friends got me the Laniege Water Sleeping Pack for my birthday and I've been diligently using it once or twice  a week.

What it is: Laneige Water Sleeping Pack  It is a leave-in mask that you wear before you go to sleep and is suppose to lock in moisture so you can wake up with soft, supple skin. Because it is enriched with many plant extracts, the mask keeps your skin hydrated all night.
Texture: It is very gel-like. Once applied onto skin, it feels like thick water but it's not runny in any way. And when it is fully absorbed into skin, it feels very smooth but you still retain that moistness that you typically feel when you wear a cold cream.
Scent: It has a very pleasant (and light) floral scent. I don't think it is overbearing in any sense, because it doesn't linger when you're getting ready to snooze.
Strengths: There are a lot of fruit extracts and collagen added in here to be similar to a sheet mask, but in a night cream formula. You don't have to throw away anything and it feels very luxurious on your skin. Since one of the main ingredients is camella sinesis (leaf buds used to make tea), it's very repairing for the skin especially if you feel bloated on your face o_o The oils also strengthen the skin barrier. Takes about 4-5 mins for product to fully absorb into skin...this largely depends on how much moisture your skin needs as well.
Weaknesses: If you are allergic to certain silicones like Dimethicone, note that it is the 9th ingredient in the product. While it doesn't bother me in a skincare product, a lot of people avoid this ingredient because of possible allergic reactions.
Price: Ranges from $25-$35 online if purchased in the US. A plus side to the price is that you get 2.7 fl oz (80ml) of product that can last you very long.
Overall: I love it! It feels really luxurious when applied. I love the scent and the cute blue jar. The best time to use it would be during the hot summer months because it's really cooling. You can also put it in the fridge for maximum coolness. Your skin naturally firms up when something cold is on it (never wash your face in hot water, ever). I'd definitely repurchase when I run out :)


Close Dupe: If you can't get your hands on this right away, or you want something more inexpensive to try, I recommend the Garnier Moisture Rescue gel cream. 


As you can tell, it's almost all gone =p The texture of this is very similar to Laneige's sleeping mask, with a heavier scent. It's less than $10 at most drugstores (I saw it at Walgreens for $6 when it was on sale) and is just as cooling. Note: Not a mask though!

Ingredients: Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Dimethicone, Isononyl Isononanoate, Carbomer, Dimethiconol, Chlorphenesin, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitis Vinifera Extract/Grapefruit Extract, Xanthan Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Menthoxypropanediol, Magnesium Gluconate, Sodium Citrate, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Calcium Gluconate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, CI 19140/Yellow 5, CI 42090/Blue 1, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol.


It doesn't have all the plant oils in it, but I really love how cooling it feels on the skin and how accessible it is to get.

Have you tried either of these products? What are your thoughts? :) 



25 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jen. Great review. Garnier products are always heavily scented. How long did it take for the mask to absorb? How much product do you normally use and how much time do you allow yourself before time? Sorry for all the questions I just have an issue with sleeping packs not sinking in.

Unknown said...

...I'm just dying to get the Laniege sleeping pack ;_; i'm still waiting for my other sasa order to come in tho :( The gel like texture sounds so soothing and I am glad you don't have to wash it off. Thanks for the great review!

mandy said...

I've gotten a sample of the Water Sleeping Pack Plus from when I purchased at the Amore store last..April? I used it a few times and love how smooth and soft it makes my skin feel the next morning! I think I might repurchase it too ^__^

I'm nearly done with the Garnier Gel-Cream as well. I think for my skin right now and in the winter it isn't enough but it'll probably be better for the summer time. The only thing that bugs me is alcohol being the third ingredient..

나니 said...

Ahh, I think I watched a video with Saaammage where she got this gel and she really likes it :3

Amy said...

ooh I want to try this!

Anonymous said...

Omgosh yes, those asian celebs and their flawless skin!! I tried the water sleeping pack from a sample packaging but I don't really notice a difference personally lol. Does feel really nice to use though ^^

Unknown said...

Fannie: I just use an amount equivalent to a dime. It takes about 4 mins for everything to get fully absorbed. Although, it also depends how dry your skin is too :)

Edwina said...

I also use the Laneige Wate Sleeping Pack and I love it. I try to remember to use it, but I always forget :( I try to use it 2 to 3 times a week. I love how it smells and feel like water!! I've heard that some other bloggers don't like it though, but I'm not sure why. Mine lasted me a REALLY LONG TIME probably because I keep forgetting to use it regularly :(

Irene said...

I've been wanting to get my hands on this for a long time now...I'm so glad you liked it!!! (Makes me want to try even more!!!) Thanks for your review and 'dupe' alert.

I can't wait until Sasa.com restocks!

Boxed Up Beauty said...

I'll have to try both of them out! thanks for doing the comparison, its good that there is also a dupe available.

Hazel said...

i think i've seen the garnier one in a local drugstore.. now that you say it has a cooling effect, i think i'd like to try it ;)

Elisa ♥ said...

i love the laneige one !!! but haven't seen the garnier one before =(

amynaree said...

this does sound good for summer, i must pick some up!

Cylia said...

I need to seriously consider buying these stuff. I'm never really good at choosing these kinds of stuff! thanks for the review:)

Unknown said...

Haha I just received mine from Sasa, but I haven't tried it out yet. Really looking forward to using it though since it gets so many rave reviews :D

Donna said...

i was seriously considering buying the garnier gel until i saw alcohol as the 3rd ingredient. products with alcohol in them dry my skin out like crazy! :S but great review though. i would love to try some laniege products

Tracy said...

I was into the Laneige skin care range for a while - used the strawberry mask and strawberry peeling gel, as well as the water sleeping pack. Unfortunately, my water sleeping pack is stashed at the back of my drawer. I don't like that it's sticky and may leave a mess on my pillow?

SAVING BETTY said...

I am a big fan of Laneige, especially their balancing emulsion.. thats like all i wear! Too bad it is so hard to find in Vancouver! I think I will try the water sleeping pack, hopefully it won't make my face bloated too much.

Anonymous said...

I used Laneige water series when I forgot a lot of my own skincare when traveling and borrowed my mum's ! Didn't get an allergic reaction from it which is good but I guess I'll have to try it out for a prolonged period to be able to see the effects. Don't you feel great when you've just reached the end of a product ? haha.. except if you don't have a substitute for it !

Unknown said...

great review! i love the garnier products. i have their eye cream and it works wonders. you can also find a lot of garnier products at stores like TJMaxx or Marshalls if you have them around you! :D

Eva said...

I love the sleeping pack! so moisturizing and cooling! Yeah the sunset sail color is really pretty!

Popcorn said...

YES! I have tried both of the products and i loved themm~ I really need to get the full size of the Laneige one though because my skin loved it! Garnier's Moisture Rescue Gel is soo affordable and actually good!

Jenni said...

Laneige Water Sleeping Pack is my savior in European winters!!! <3love this stuff, i also use it as a moisturizer sometimes!

Lolita Riot said...

been dying to try this but I think ill try the garnier one now that you mention it :) thanks for the review!!

Unknown said...

Ooh! This product was recommended to me about a month ago but I had concerns with it's multitude of ingredients...Would you say it's better for preventing aging (what with the collagen) or all skin types?