Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Quickie Reviews: Nars Concealer + MBD Red Wine Mask

Another concealer review!? You must be kidding. I know, I know... I have this thing with collecting base makeup and concealers. It must've stemmed from my longtime frivolous insecurities. Rats.

Which brings me to review a cult favorite brand : Nars. Although their concealers aren't what makes them known, it's still worth noting. I was initially curious about their concealers because I tested their foundations and they are excellent. They have two types of concealers, one in a lipstick tube to make it easier to apply when you're touching up and a concealer duo which includes two shades housed in the signature Nars compact.

I bought in the shade Custard/Ginger.




I wasn't a huge fan of this concealer. And my reasons are pretty valid for my skin type/tone. Firstly, the shade selections are extremely limited - either too pink or too yellowish.

I bought this concealer online so I couldn't really color match, but I was sure from all the swatches online that custard/ginger would be perfect. Turns out that it's a bit more darker on me than I hoped for =/ I think the Vanilla/Honey might be too pink on me.. so yeah. No go.

Secondly, the formula is not as "non drying" as they describe. It is an absolute dry mess. Not very creamy but if I have to describe it, it would be like a cream to matte finish, and I can see the benefit of that for oil prone skin. Compared to what I am used to in a concealer, this one is like a bad waterproof lipstick for the face - drying, hard to remove and dull.

Unfortunately, this concealer didn't work for me. I found it to be exceptionally drying on the skin and cakey within a few hrs.

CONS
  • Drying - feels like a wet powder
  • Limited shade selection
  • Cakey after a few hours
  • Expensive ($30 on Sephora; a little less elsewhere)
PROS
  • Sheer application; very buildable
  • Warm shades

I'm a little disappointed, but you move on to better products. I am still in love in with my Tarte one :)

 I also tried the My Beauty Diary Red Wine Mask. I first read about it from Elle and she hated it. I got a sample sheet of it... so I tried it as well :p

I'm a big fan of MBD masks, but not the red wine one. It smells of day old berries and grapes...fermented, I guess, hence the wine. It was yuck. My skin did not feel refreshed. After I took off the mask, I spotted bumps on my face! No good.

So yeah, two bad reviews for today. Sorry! I'm usually hard to disappoint, but these two products were not really good. BUT, I hope you all had a lovely Valentine's Day yesterday. I think I had my fair share of chocolates and sweets!

And some fun news... I'm going to be seeing Glee in concert! LOL I know I'm 24 and I should be more than mature, but I'm enjoying the Glee series so much :)

Goodnight!!

25 comments:

Lisa said...

booo to the not so great products :( but atleast you're going to see Glee!! YAY!!!

Tracy D said...

Well this line did it for me 'Compared to what I am used to in a concealer, this one is like a bad waterproof lipstick for the face - drying, hard to remove and dull.' Yikes, great review...I am also concealer obsessed, that Tarte product sounds wonderful. I was just at Sephora yesterday, wish I would have swatched it!

나니 said...

Wow, I actually expected ALL NARS products to be FABULOUS.. Not only because of the pricing, but because everyone always raves about it. However, I don't wear concealer. I have many fine lines under my eyes (had them since I was a chubby, little baby-Nani) and concealer just looks RIDICULOUS on me >_<"

- susy - said...

ahmahgahddd I used to use NARs concealer, the tube one that looks like a little lipstick. It is HORRIBLE!! It really is dry like you said, despite their advertising claims. I'd put it on in the mornings, and by the time I get to work (one hour later) it's already cakey looking underneath my eyes. HORRIBLE concealer. Never again!
Have you tried the Neutragena under eye concealers?

.blushfully. said...

My friend tried this in store and within no time, it creased up and just drying as well!! Phew, put me off from trying it! Hahaha! Glad you do this post, I can look out not to get the concealer or the red wine if it stinks hahaha

I'm liking Maybelline Mineral concealer at the moment. Hourglass concealer is good too.

blushfully.blogspot.com

Georgina said...

thanks for the heads up babe! must stay away from these 2 disappointing products!

Yay to Glee!!! enjoy! :)

Tracy said...

oh dear! these posts are so helpful. It's so rare to hear bad reviews of Nars, but I suppose every brand has its fair share of goods and bads. I will stay way clear from Nars concealers thats for sure!

Sharon said...

I was sooo interested in this concealer!! Thanks for the review girly!!!

Mindy♥ said...

whoa Glee!! I'm so jealous now! lol
sorry to hear about those products. I guess it's all about trial and error, right? :)

Lilladylife said...

thanks for this review!!! i was interested in the NARS stick concealer but think i will be avoiding this pan option

Miss Jayce said...

oh darn, im sad to see that the concealer is so disappointing. i loveeee nars too =(

Unknown said...

I think I have the same concealer duo, man I gotta check lol. I don't think I've ever used it though. It's just sitting in my makeup drawer *shakes head*

Unknown said...

Susy - Yes, I have the Neutrogena concealer too!! :) I really like it a lot, esp because it has SPF in it :)

Isabel said...

Not the first bad review I've read for this mask. I'm so interested in the rest of MBD masks though. I've only tried the chocolate mask and it smells ammmaaazing

YB* said...

Hey! Have you tried Benefit's erase paste concealer? I have been using it for a year now and it is officially my favorite concealer! You should check it out if you haven't. Great blog btw!

http://carpe-diem13-beauty.blogspot.com/

Mara said...

Wow, I'm surprised Nars didn't live up to their name. Usually their products are better than that. Great review nonetheless. :) I just ordered some MBD mask and thank god it wasn't the red wine masks..I love Elle she is just the sweetest.

Unknown said...

YB - Erase Paste is the next one I'm going to get!! :D

Popcorn said...

awww too bad the concealer wasn't that great~
oh man~ the sheet mask sounds terrible. have you tried the strawberry yogurt ones? I love that one, only for its scent though~ tehehe.

Mary said...

thanks for sharing! too bad, NARS don't have better color selection.
I'm starting to like MDMasks too! I tried my first one a few weeks ago and haven't stopped since.

Unknown said...

O no I have some MBD red wine masks too. Thanks for the quick review.

Liana said...

wow that sucks they didn't work for you...i hate it when i waste money on products that dont work..then what are you supposed to do with them? :P

Beauty Bag 411

cocoabee said...

LOL i saw an episode of glee for the first time this week, it was the justin bieber one, it was hilarious, i loved it!

cryskay said...

have you tried laura mercier's secret camouflage concealer? ive heard great things about it but the sales associate could just be bias.

so lucky your going to see glee live! jealous! i tried to convince my friends to go but no luck. xo

Mona said...

yay! thanks for reviewing this. I was looking into this concealer :P

Jen said...

Omg.. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one to have a bad experience with the Red Wine MDB mask >_<" (sorry if that sounded rude.. Q-Q)
I got pimples after using it once .. then lesson not learned, i tried it again & behold, same results ==" .. i think that mask is just a bad one outta the lot~