Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sephora, CVS

Hi everyone! =)

I finally got around to posting this. I went to Sephora a few days ago because I got the 15% coupon in my email. At first, I didn't really want to go because there isn't really anything from there that I needed. But, i went anyway to see if anything was worth purchasing =P

I ended up buying this!


It's the Sephora Color Play palette. Check out the reviews here. I was never a big fan of Sephora branded eyeshadows, especially the Blockbuster ones because the quality of the shadows are not that pigmented. But, this palette has a new formula! The shadows are much more pigmented and not as hard. The glosses are balmy and goes on very smooth without having to "warm it up". I mean, it's like a lip gloss! They are actually wearable. But that's not even the best thing. What I found unique about this palette is that you can pop each color column out and place it in a to-go pan so you don't have to bring the entire collection when traveling. Isn't that just so awesome?! All the colors are coordinated together (neutrals, brights, darks) so that makes it extremely convenient to pick the palette you want to use without much effort. I'm sure no one wants to lug around a huge palette of shadows, glosses and blushes when they know they're not going to be using them all right? But this one is very cool. I'm not completely sold on ALL the colors, but most of them are pretty dense and have a lot color power to them. The brighter colors are less pigmented but you can layer other colors to make it work. Overall, I really enjoy playing around with the different colors =D I totally recommend this to anyone who wants to experiment with colors you normally wouldn't wear because it comes with everything!

I also went to CVS and picked up a few goodies!

This is the Milani HD concealer in Light. Doesn't this look somewhat familiar?

Yeah, that's what I thought too! It looks VERY similar to YSL's

TOUCHE ÉCLAT concealer. The YSL one is around $40! Yikes. I'd rather invest in a Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer for the same price. It's funny that Milani decided to make a dupe out of the YSL one. I would've expected Loreal or Maybelline. 

The Milani concealer is actually pretty nice. For around $7.99 ($6.99 on Cherry Culture) at CVS, it covers pretty well. It's quite sheer but my eyes instantly looked brighter when I applied it on. It's also a bit more watery than compared to MAC and Lancome concealers that I normally use.The only thing about this is that you have to click it a million times in the beginning to get the product to come out. I liked it a lot but I'm not sure that I'd repurchase this simply because I'm not too fond of clicking concealers =P I'm really used to them being in a tube or jar form. But this is cool. I like the gold plated pen and the fact that the most different from all the concealers I own. Have you guys tried this? What are your go-to concealers? I heard Bobbi Brown concealers are awesome! But I have yet to buy any.

 24.7 Minerals Blush in Rose.

Has anyone ever tried this? I realize that I don't have a lot of blushes and went to look for some. I found this on clearance for 50% off, so it was around $7.99 (original price is $15.99 or something). I thought it was worth a try because I remember liking the Bare Minerals blush very much. This is a very warm rose shade and I found that it's such a pretty color. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the color comes off very easily! Unlike the pressed blushers, mineral ones are usually made from starch so once it sucks up all your skin's oils, the color completely disappears. I prepared a swatch of the color on my skin but by the time I got around to taking pictures, the color completely faded from my wrist :( Sucks. It's a very nice color... it's just too bad that the lasting power lacks. I think I'm going to do a NYX haul soon =P Well, later since I recently made a lot of purchases. Bad me o_o

My childhood friend Flora recently bought the Stila tinted moisturizer and loved it. It made her skin look really luminous and bright. I was considering getting a tinted moisturizer as well but seeing how I bought Revlon and Clinique foundations, I might just have to wait on it =p Do you guys use tinted moisturizers? When I lived in LA, Stila used to have warehouse sales of all their products for 80% off retail. People would wait in line for hrs just to get the stuff. I really miss all of LA's warehouse sales! BCBG, Paul Frank, Stila, Charles David, and much MUCH more.

I used the Sephora palette on my eyes. The non-existent blush and Maybelline falsies mascara. I also used the VS gloss stick in melon. Love the smell of the lipstick! It also gives a nice sheen to my lips. Very hydrating too! On my face, I used Smashbox hybrid primer and the HD foundation in light. I think if you use a primer on your lids, the Sephora shadows will come out even more dramatically! 

Anyway, I hope everyone is having an awesome spectacular weekend! The weekend flies by so fast! Enjoy it!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow I've been wanting to try that Milani concealer but a lot of Milani products sell out quickly, it's kind of hard to get a hold of the good ones!

As for warehouse sales in LA...I've never been to one LOL I've been to them elsewhere and in OC but the crowd + lining up really get on my nerves so...no, not for me.

Oh and I know what you mean about Pasadena. The business area and old town are beautiful! They're a lot of coffee shops and it just feels so cultured and civilized compared to other cities >P makes you feel apart of it.

And my ebay store's kinda empty now, I've been getting lazy about it so I might take a break soon T-T; and great that your friend is interested! I might put more stuff on my buy/trade section so let me know if there are any requests.

Unknown said...

nice haul! i'm really liking the milani concealer! it looks so posh! lol does it cover undereye circles well? i tend to have a problem with undereye concealers looking cakey and collecting on some of my undereye lines (premature wrinkles? T_T) i'm going to get myself some bobbi brown makeup once i have a job! i have also heard great things about it :D you are glowing in your FOTD! pretty ^^

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I really want to try the Sephora palette. That's so cool that you can pop out the columns! Really convenient too :)

Leenda said...

Very nice palette! That milani concealer does look like the YSl one! Too bad that minerals blush didn't last very long. =/ I really like the look you did with the palette you got! You look really pretty! That lip color is really nice.

Angelique said...

Nice buys :].. The palette looks pretty! I still have yet to buy a palette but I guess I really don't need one right now :P

I saw those 24.7 products on sale earlier but I didn't really bother looking at them since I haven't been into mineral stuff lately. I guess it's a good thing since you said the blush wears out fast. (if I did buy anything, it would've been the blush)

Love love the melon lippie that you have in your picture! Soooo pretty :]

Unknown said...

Jenny: The Milani concealer is pretty good! Doesn't sink into lines or anything so you don't have to worry about that. That is my main concern when it comes to concealers as well!

Lovely comments, thanks all <3

:D

MissS.elle said...

Nice FOTD there! And I got the same palette during my retail therapy at Sephora a few days ago xD Nice haul! :D

Lilladylife said...

thanks for commenting!
I saw that palette at Sephora and I was like WOW this is huge! which is =AMAZING
the milani looks just like the YSL! lol

Irene said...

:D I am so ready to dig into my palette too but it's so pretty, all I can do is stare at it haha. That and I don't get pretty for work -- T_T However, your pics are making me want to dig it out since I LOVE your look...which colors did you use? Did you use a primer too? :D

I LOVE milani products! I had no idea they made a YSL dupe!

Unknown said...

OOo i'm so excited! let me know what goodies there is at the outlet then ;) i've been studying all this time so i haven't even tried out the artliner yet haha i wonder how much shipping would cost from your place to mine? oh well one step at a time! i just got all excited when u said you would be willing to pick out some things for me ^______^

serenadeveryday said...

Oh wow. I love your eyes. They totally pop out! And that VS gloss stick is such a pretty shade.

I totally agree with you on how I hate carrying a bunch of makeup products with me. I have this one makeup back I always bring with me because I never know if I'll stay out late and need some products to change my day look to a night one. That's so cool you could pop out parts of the palette and place it in an on the go one. Very creative!


<3 Serena.

MadsaboutU said...

I so need to update my make-up kit. I still have one from 3 years ago and it looks like new,haha. How long does that kit will last you think? You look very ravishing ( sorry for my lack of better term,haha)

I wish I could keep make-up on all day, I do carry tons on my purse but I am too lazy to do touch ups believe it or not.

Anonymous said...

woah, the sephora palette play palette is so cool! jealousy.

please don't hesitate in visiting the bloggy @ http://innocentbirdy.blogspot.com

x rena.

Jess said...

Love the picks - I'm so useless with makeup and that Sephora kit looks SO overwhelming. I've always wanted to try the YSL concealer...wishing they had CVS in Canada so I could give this other version a try.

Gizelle Faye | Vanilla Ice Cream said...

so jealous of the sephora color palette..would love to have a new set of colors for the lids this summer!

♥ vanilla ice cream ♥

DiWiMakeup said...

The palette is huge, I had to resist getting it! Great look!

xo, Diana

♥ c.angie ♥ said...

everything you posted here i havent try lol...ive never try any sephora eyeshadow makeup nor YSL and minerl hahahaaaa but the sephora palette looks very useful it remidns of me coastal scents hahahaa...

abt the nyx lippies ... wait before that OMGGG YOU JUST DISCOVERED NYX???? Im glad at least you know about this brand now...its the BEST drugstore everrrr lol i lovee the lippies i wanna try Indian Pink but i cant find it anywhere :( nyx is so hard to find it sucks!! and yea the strawberry milk its super light lol

ღ Caroline♔ said...

That Sephora palette looks like such a nifty little thing! I love the concept of being able to pop out the individual color palettes and put it into a separate, more travel-friendly case. xD I remember reading Irene's post on it because she recently bought one, too! You both are really making me want to buy one for myself with the money I don't have right now lol :P

My favorite go-to concealer is Kevin Beautymaker Aqua Eyes Concealer, it's made especially for use under our eyes. The texture is super creamy smooth, and it blends like an absolute dream! I love it! It's almost like a liquid concealer but in cream form and comes in a single compact with a mirror. It's recommended for use under the eyes, but I find that it work perfectly well in other areas all over the face, too. So, I ignore the recommendation and just do what I want. haha :P

You are GLOWING in those 2 photos!! The foundation makes your skin look so healthy, and I love the eye shadow colors you used! This FOTD is gorgeous on you ^_^

♥ caroline