Friday, April 23, 2010

bronzy

I feel like I haven't blogged in so long! Work has been nothing short of crazy so when i get home, I'm ready to die!  It makes me happy that I can come home and catch up on everyone's blog while eating everything around me. Any snackers here? =) I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Happy Earth day! I've really learned so much since last yr and have started to truly appreciate nature over the past few yrs since I moved to Nor Cal. As a student, I went to UC Santa Cruz where I've seen some of the most beautiful, lush greenery that Santa Cruz has to offer. And if you know anything about that city, it's that they are one of the greenest towns in the world.


All these images are from the Santa Cruz campus. I spent 2 yrs of my life there and that city is so dear to my heart. At the time when I was there, I didn't really appreciate the beauty and the naturalness of everything that surrounded the campus but now that I'm not there anymore, I realized how much of my perspective has changed from living in suburban Woodland Hills to the quaint little city of Santa Cruz. The commute from San Jose to Santa Cruz is also very scenic. I used to take the bus there everyday (1 hr one way)  and we would cross the Santa Cruz mountains. It was very beautiful.. especially when there was a hint of sunlight. You can really see the difference from all the man made vegetation in the city to the organic soils just outside of it. A better comparison... hmm... think Forks, WA from the movie Twilight! o_o Santa Cruz is much like Forks and even Seattle but a little warmer :)

Anyway, enough of that! Today before work, I was scrambling to get ready. Time flies when you just want to stay home! =P

My sweet friend Jessica passed along the blog award to me :)

Rules of this award:
1. Put the logo on your blog of within your post.
2. Pass the award on to twelve bloggers.
3. Link to the nominees within your post.
4. Let them know they received this award by commenting on their blog.
5. Share the love and the link to the person from whom you received this award. 
  I will put together a bunch of links tomorrow! :) My computer is currently being slow...=/


This is what I wore today!


Excuse my lame attempt to look seductive. I think I just look like mean =p Which I'm not, haha. I'm so lame that I tripped over the last 2 stairs in the parking garage also.

Products Used:



I used the Sephora palette again shown in the first pic. I love how heavily pigmented all the shadows were. Even the light ones that I expected not to look fantastic were great! Pictures still don't do the shadows any justice. They look nicer in real life. Then again, it may be that I applied the makeup on early this morning and now it's very late in the evening.

One thing you see in the 2nd pic might scare you. I have the Monistat anti-chafing cream. LOL. You might also be surprised to hear that I use it as a face primer! I've seen lots and LOTS of recommendations about this being used as a primer and for me it works fantastic. It keeps the oilies at bay and feels JUST like Smashbox's photo finish primer. It's the same consistency and texture. I guess the Smashbox primer can be an anti chafing gel as well.. just a freakishly expensive one!  haha. I've seen lots of reviews from fellow beauty bloggers and decided to try it. It's around $5.99 at Target. It was so funny because right after I paid for the purchase, one of those coupons came out with my receipt and the coupon is good for $2 off any Monistat product! So I can  get another tube for $3.99 or something. It's worth trying because the main ingredient in high end primers have the same ingredient in this :) I don't powder my face all day so I really expect my foundations to work above and I've learned that this "primer" is awesome!!

Other things I used was the Revlon Photo Finish  - LOVE the foundation. It finishes with a very nice, clean look. The little spectacles of light reflectors enhance and evens out skin tone.

Physicians Formula mineral wear bronzer - I've been using this for years and years! I recommend it to a lot of my friends who also like it as well :) There is a lot of product in one little swipe and it blends out beautifully for sun kissed cheeks =D


Lancome Artliner in black - Jenny recently purchased this artliner and was wondering if people like it. I like it, but I'm not crazy about it. Maybe it's because I suck at liquid eyeliners. But I think it's just too watery for me compared to kat Von D's liquid eyeliners. The Lancome one gives off a very nice, clean line which i like for work so you don't have to look too dramatic in the office =p I lined my upper eye lids with it :) I used ELF's eyeliner pencil to line my lower lids.


Maybelline Volum Express Mascara - One of my favorites :) I like the angled brush! It's very buildable and has crazy staying power. It's also a soft mascara so it doesn't make your lashes feel goopy and hard.

Nars in Sunset Strip (the orange-y side)- I really like this gloss. It's retailed at a pretty high price... which is lame. I really don't understand why lip glosses have to be priced so high. Lots of dupes for Nars from what I've seen from ELF, NYX, etc.

Finished it all off with Clinique Perfectly Real powder in shade 110.

Lastly, outfit for tomorrow!

 It's kind of greenish with a lot of floral elements. I love florals! I have a lot of dresses like that.

I really want to go thrifting this weekend. I hear that there is a Savers by my place... I've never been there but it's like a department thrift store! LOL Should be huge with lots of vintage goodies :) If I'm in the mood, then maybe!

Goodnight, all! =) Have a great Friday!

BTW, I just got Twitter a few days ago! I don't really know how to use it or how to talk to people on it =/ Seems like everyone is shouting out to each other? LOL My username is:

pink_lavenders

 

10 comments:

Lulu said...

yay for twitter. you will have a lot of fun there :) add me: luluchinadoll :)

haha monistat has great reviews as a primer! too bad I think my pores get clogged up easily when I use it :( perhaps I should give it another go sometimes!

serenadeveryday said...

Happy Earth Day!! well I'm a day late but still.

Most of my girl friends from here went to Santa Cruz too. I think they're going this weekend. I don't really feel like going because I don't know anyone. =/ Sometimes I feel like the extra wheel.
Those are beautiful photos of Santa Cruz. Looks like a place I should visit sometime. I really like the whole nature scene. Gorgeous forest and sunset.

You don't look mean! The photos came out pretty nice.
Maybe you should try taking a picture of the Sephora palette during the day when there is sunlight? I noticed that works best for me.

I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE Maybelline's Volume Express Mascara until it made my lashes fall out. =/ I don't know what happened. One day after using it for a year it started stinging and my lashes just fell off. I've never tried it since. *sigh.

The dress is cute. Perfect for Earth Day. =]

I tried looking for you on twitter but I can't find you. Here's mine:
http://twitter.com/serenadeveryday
I just got twitter not too long ago. It's fun though. Luckily I don't have internet or I might be on it all the time.


<3 Serena.

Anonymous said...

LOL, I read Monistat anti-chafing cream and I thought, "isn't that for... you know....." I'm definitely buying this next time I hit Target. I need a new primer! Thanks tons for the post! Really helpful :p

s said...

Haha! I use both the Monistat and Revlon photo ready too! I searched everywhere for it, and finally found it at Wal-Mart. There were 2 tubes left (popular item O.o) so of course I grabbed them both hahaha. I used to use MAC Prep + Prime which worked REALLY well.. but I got scared b/c someone told me MAC puts garbage in their products.. so I threw it away :(

Iva Messy said...

beautiful pictures!! you look great! awesome outfit!!

I hope you had a lovely Earth Day #40 yesterday! Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

Leenda said...

Another great makeup look. =] Yea, those pictures sure do look like Forks from Twilight. lol It's nice being around nature. I like how you broke down what makeup you wore. I see hello kitty stickers on your mirror. lol Cute.

rene said...

Did you hurt yourself? Sometimes I feel like I will fall over the steps anytime too. Haha.

Love your outfit!

MadsaboutU said...

I have heard a lot of people use Monistat too. Funny thing is, I used to be a healthcare sales rep and another sale rep friend of mine carries this product. She never mentioned it to me then but that was like long ago.

I think you should hit the thrift store! and posts whatever you find! lookie all the treasures I got! I love how you post your FOTD! My DH is complaining why I crop my pictures when I post my outfit,like I have something to hide,he said. haha! it's really because I can't fit my whole body in it and I'd rather show my shoes, lol.

ღ Caroline♔ said...

I love your FOTD! You look really gorgeous with the nice earthy, bronzy brown tones :) lol I'm hearing SOO many raves about this Revlon Photoready/Photo Finish? Foundation from practically all the bloggers I read! Is it really that amazing? haha, I guess I gotta try it out for myself to find out, huh? >:P Maybe I'll pick it up in the summer ^_^ I hope I won't get darker bc I find it to be SUCH a hassle to change foundations and pick the right shade to match all over again, don't you think? It's good to know that if anything, there's a good & reliable foundation waiting on the shelves for me to try xD

Wow, Santa Cruz looks amazing! I've never been, but it indeed looks very lush and scenic, especially in the poetic and eloquent way with which you described it!! (hehe you lit. major!) Isn't it funny how you don't really appreciate the full essence of something until you don't have much access to it anymore?

♥ caroline

Unknown said...

Santa Cruz campus is sooo pretty!! i heart nature as well :)

hahaha you look gorgeous dear, not seductive at all :P

i've been trying out the artliner and i'm pretty impressed! i know what you mean by it being very watery though, it's going to take some practice for me! but the finish and lasting power is amazing!

maybelline volume express mascara is actually one of my favourite mascaras as well!! there's not enough ppl raving about it! i agree with the crazy staying power!

and we also joined twitter almost at the same time haha, i personally don't get it either…and i'm not a big fan of it, i just see "@" everywhere! its confusing!!