Sunday, November 16, 2014

Bold Lipstick; a Mac Impassioned Review

I like lipsticks. In fact, I am guilty of hoarding a bunch of lipsticks I rarely use. I think many women can attest to that because we just absolutely love having a color to choose from at our leisure. In my case, there was a period when I was collecting bold lipsticks for when "that special occasion" would arise. Like a fine wine, I stored each special lipstick in a dry, cool tempered drawer with the lippies housed in their original packaging for safekeeping. 

It wasn't until recently that I started to wonder what the point is to keep them and not use them! So i unboxed them all, and put them with the rest of my lippies. Instead of saving them for an occasion, I decided to use one of my favorites, Mac Impassioned, for a night out that's anything but "glam" - an NBA game! As in the home of hot dogs, chicken strips, fries and a bunch of other yummy eats that is lipstick unfriendly ;) It didn't matter because the shade is so gorgeous and shouldn't be locked away.

Impassioned is a classic fuchsia shade in Mac's permanent range of lipsticks. After seeing this shade on so many people, a particular Korean celeb caught my eye. Jeon Ji Hyun sported a similar fuchsia/bright pink in the drama My Love From Another Star. While I never watched the drama, she was the inspiration for many looks recreated by bloggers. I have to admit, I cannot stop staring at her lips. It's gorgeous! 


Impassioned was the most similar color I could find. The lipstick is so hydrating, and has a gorgeous buttery texture. Since it's an amplified shade, the pigmentation is strong. To make it more wearable for the day, I would suggest using a darker pink, or red gloss to soften the bright neon look of fuchsia. 



I used Starlooks lip pencil in Tipsy as a base to keep the strong lip as long lasting as possible.



Readers, do you like bold lipsticks? Do you tone them down for work/school or save them for special occasions? :)



8 comments:

Sharlynn said...

OOoo this is lovely Jen! Yes, I love bold pink lipsticks! I don't wear neon bright pinks but hot blue toned fuchsia! I've been trying to get back into bolder lip colors this year and I save them for days when I'm going out for dinner or a special occasion!

Lily said...

So pretty! I watched that drama, and didn't even realise the crazed following of her lipsticks until someone pointed it out to me. I think she single handedly put all YSL Rouge #52 out of stock everywhere.

Sunny @Mostly Sunny said...

This combo is gorgeous on you!!! Yes I do bright lips. Not as far as neon, but bright for sure :) I know that K-drama made a certain YSL shade so popular that it's OOS for months all over the world. I'm glad you found a great dupe from MAC :)

Elle said...

Sammmeeee....I went through a mini fuchsia lipstick phase after watching that drama! It looks SO good on JJH...well, every lipstick color looked great on on her ^^

I love bold colors but even to this day I can't quite figure out how to pull them off....even for special occasions I stick with my corals and pinks...

Amyboo said...

This color really is so pretty! and I totally empathize with hoarding so many lipsticks. Haha! I rarely wear them as well. I started using them up just by dumbing the color a little bit over lots of vaseline so it would be more usable for everyday life. Though there is definitely a time to use the full color. Ahh

Anna said...

Really pretty! I love that fuchsia shade on Jeon Ji Hyun a lot, I think this is my next mission haha!

Angela said...

Korean actresses are sooo pretty! Loving that color on you! I think this color was definitely on my wishlist for a while. I love a bold lip :)


raincouverbeauty.blogspot.com

Sharlynn Ng said...

Jen! Do head over to my blog soon! I'm holding a beauty giveaway! :)