Sunday, October 26, 2014

How to: Deep Clean Your Makeup Brushes in a Few Easy Steps

I have to be one to admit... I don't like dishing out a lot of time to clean my makeup brushes. I really don't. It takes a lot of time, energy and willingness that I do not have. But it's a chore that needs to be done for the health of your skin, as well as your brushes. Brushes accumulate lots of dirt, and oil and bacteria from daily usage and the best way to combat it is to simply clean them. In my case, I like to deep clean them for maximum efficiency.

Also, I do not like to spend lots of money on brush cleaners so I make my own solution. It's as easy as buying it, but without the cost.

So here's what you'll need:

1. Bowl
2. Dirty Brushes
3. Disinfecting Soap (I use dish detergent but you can use any antibacterial soap)
4. A silicon "wash board" (more on that later)
5. Microfiber towel or regular towel



Step 1:

Pour a few droplets of soap into the dish. Mix water and soap together to create a antibacterial wash for your brushes. 



2. Swirl your brush in round circle motions to loosen the dirt and grime. 



3. Get a better clean with this silicone wash board. This is essentially an oven glove with ridges. I bought mine at Daiso and you can find these at any discount stores or home stores. Using your brush that's dipped in the soapy solution, run your brush up and down and in circle motions. The ridges will get the dirt that's trapped in the brushes. This is is the "deep cleaning" part. 


5. Rinse your brush in cold water to remove the soap and any loosened dirt. Dry it with your microfiber cloth. Pump a bit of argan oil to condition the fluffy brushes. This will keep the bristles from drying out!


I used Eden's Pure Moroccan argan Oil but you can certainly use any oil you have available, including coconut, jojoba or good old EVOO.



And that's it!!! It's easy as pie and effective. Let your brushes air dry and they'll be ready and waiting for you in a few hours!

What methods do you have in cleansing your brushes? Do share! 

11 comments:

Sunny @Mostly Sunny said...

I really need to step up my brush cleaning game! I just wash mine with a pet shampoo, put a bit of conditioner on, rinse off and wait for them to air dry! Isn't dish soap a little too harsh for real hair though?

Lily said...

I like using brush soap because it's the easiest, I find. I wash my brushes as soon as they look dirty because I don't like washing a pile of them at once. Frequent washing is not a problem to me as long as I don't have to wash more than 5 brushes at one time. LOL!

Sharlynn said...

Ooo...your method definitely looks very deep cleaning! I like using the diaso brush detergent, milk body shower wash from johnson and johnson and whatever extra cleansers/shampoos I have on hand! :p

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Yes. It's probably a bit harsher than usual =P Although i suppose baby shampoo is better...but it doesn't have the antibacterial agent in it. I have a lot of brushes that are made with goat hair and they're okay so far :)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

gah me too! haha

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

yes, same here!

oomph said...

i definitely need to get one of those washboards!

Anna said...

I'm running over to Daiso to get me one of those silicone mitts! How creatively useful of you Jen! lol Not only does it beat buying an expensive or official "silicone wash board" for makeup brushes, but it's so much cuter! I mean that alligator though! LOL

Jacqueline Ma said...

Nothing like squeaky clean brushes although I must say I have been very lazy lately.

Melissa said...

This looks like such an easy method of cleaning makeup brushes! I'm going to have to try it :)
Great post!

rooth said...

AH! I need to do this stat and this is probably the easiest method I've seen