Sunday, March 23, 2014

DIY Lip Gloss in 4 Easy Steps

Hellllo beautes!


I hope you had a wonderful weekend! After perusing Pinterest, I got really inspired to make my own DIY lip gloss. It is one of the easiest things you can make and with things you already have at home!!! How awesome is that?


There are several variations of base you can use instead of vaseline. You can use a combination of coconut oil, honey and olive oil. I stuck with vaseline first to try it out. I'll be doing the coconut oil and honey in my next project  ;) If you want to make lip balm, add some beeswax to harden the texture.



Things you will need:

1. Contact lens case or little jars
2. Wooden sticks for scooping and stiring
3. Pigmented lipstick of your choice
4. Lip Balm with peppermint oil


Use an empty container or contact lens case. I used both.


STEP 1: Scoop some Vaseline out! 






Step 2: Scoop out the vaseline with your stick and transfer it into the jar. I kind of eyeballed it. The more vaseline you use, the more thinner your mixture will be. 







Step 3: Add your favorite pigmented lipstick! I used my pot of OCC Vintage Red lip tar because this shade is a bit dry. I also did one with Revlon's Fuchsia Fusion as well.



And one last thing (optional). I didn't have any essential oil so I opted for Jack Black's lip balm for some peppermint flavor. You can easily do this if you buy peppermint oil or any other flavor that suits your fancy.






Clean up the edges and that's it! Stupid easy, right? :)

 And now...the verdict. How did it come out? Is the consistency any good? Pigmentation good? Glossy?





After a few hours.



I love it! The OCC Lip Tar has thinned out nicely making it much more wearable and not dry. It's glossy, pigmentation is wonderful, and consistency is perfect. I was able to wear this for hours with my lips feeling nice and balmy with color! Once the shine is gone, it turns into a really pretty lip stain.





So will you be making your own? :) 



26 comments:

Sunny @Mostly Sunny said...

Hey Jen, what a fun idea! I'm actually not that big on glosses, so I doubt I'd actually go through the trouble. It looks like fun though! The result is gloriously pigmented for a gloss!

Girlie Blogger said...

Great idea! Turned out well. You're so creative.

Beauty&theScientist said...

I love this DIY, I may have to try :)

Phoebe Limanta said...

I am TERRIBLE at DIY things but this seems easy enough! :)

x
Phoebe | Eat. Live. Love. Repeat.

Gellie Abogado said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this DIY projects. I'd definitely want to do some beauty DIY projects only I'm not good at experimenting by myself. A guide will always be of big help. :D




xoxo,
Gelleesh.com

lisa said...

OMGGG this is amazeee!!! so genius!! i love it!! going to try this :)!


www.lisalovescoco.blogspot.com

♥ Natalie ♥ said...

Ohhh, this is such a great tip!! I think I will try this out (::
Thanks for showing!

Cassandrapamela said...

oh this looks so good!!! I can't resist moisturizing tinted lip balm :-D
I will try to do this once I'm having my holiday from uni hehe. thanks for the tutorial ^^

Kim A. said...

I will definitely try. I love that you can add your own lipstick and that has to be the cutest contact case ever.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Divina said...

I might have to give this a try when I pick up some tinted lip stuff. thanks for the diy tutorial!

Rinny said...

Great tutorial Jen! This looks easy to do and it's a good way to use up lipsticks that are too dry and/or you don't use anymore. Love your lens case btw :)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Thanks Rinny! =)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

yeah, def try it! =)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Thanks ^_^

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

It's so easy, you'll be kind of addicted =)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Thanks! :)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

That's definitely an idea =)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Hahah thanks Lisa!

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Hope you found this to be super easy haha =D

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

yess! =)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Definitely do it! ^_^

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Aw, thanks!

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

:) Thanks Sunny!

Lisa Wong said...

What a great idea for overly dry lipsticks!

Andrea said...

I love how easy it is to make! And with vaseline as a base it would be so moisturizing. Thanks for sharing, Jen!

Ruby Chua said...

Thanks for this tutorial!