Saturday, April 6, 2013

Tutorial: A VERY Easy DIY Lip Palette!

Last weekend I was itching to make a lip palette and consolidate some of my lipsticks. I watched a lot of Youtube videos, read many blogs and decided that YES i am going to make that lip palette. Lamely, last Sunday I drove to my local Michael's (craft store) and it didn't even dawn on me that every store was closed for Easter Sunday, LOL. So I drove back home and was like...gah. I waited til today to go to Michael's and spent the afternoon squishing lipsticks and having a ton of fun putting the colors into its own container.

I was lusting over the Japonesque lip palettes for awhile, but decided not to purchase them because they're around $30.00 for one on Amazon and while I love the way it looks I decided to just wing it at the craft store to see what they have.

(source: Tumblr)


I asked the store clerk for bead containers because those are the smallest sort of containers for anything. I ended up purchasing a container with 30 small jars in it. Each jar is around 3cm in height with a twist cap. I thought it was still kinda big but then after experimenting with it at home I realized that it is the perfect size because I extracted the entirety of the lipstick from the tube to the jar (otherwise I wouldn't be consolidating, right? ;))


Dainty little jar.

I started with my Revlon Soft Nude Lipstick 

Using a opened paperclip (didn't have one of those spatulas), just cut through the lipstick. This is the hardest part! I shuddered thinking about cutting my perfectly fine lipsticks but told myself to see the big picture. It's about condensing. Continuing on...

I used a metal chopstick to scoop the remaining lipstick out of the tube. Just stick it in anywhere... and twist in circular motion to get everything out.

You will be left with the remaining. There is going to be waste because you can't possibly get everything out of the tube.


The fun part... squishing everything into the jar! It's going to look messy and you will have to clean the edges of the jar.



My lipstick is ready to be used with a lip brush!!! Don't forget to peel off the label on the lipstick and stick it under the jar. 

The "end" result...


I used 18 out of the 30 jars so I still have to add to it. I mainly used drugstore lippies and some Shiseido and MAC ones but I couldn't get myself to squish my Chanel ones =p 

The pros of having this lip palette like this is that it's extremely portable. If you are the type of person who likes applying their lipstick with a lip brush (like me), it's really great for travel or for any occasion really! These jars are sanitary with a twist cap lid. You can look at the colors first hand, or mix them to create a unique shade. Anything! I just feel this is so inspirational for me when choosing  a lip color.

I also like that it's not "perfect" looking because I've seen many too perfect looking ones in-store and they look kind of mass produced and bleh. And dry.

The palette cost me $10.00. If you get an ad/flyer, you can always use the 50% off one item. 




So there it is! My new DIY lip palette. I'm quite proud of it and I think that it looks kinda cool and inspiring. The best part is that it is SUPER easy. The hardest part is to choose the lipstick you want to put in the jar and then cutting it up. After that it gets kind of addicting ;) 

There is a top lid to cover the entire box so you can store it away neatly. The entire box measures about 5x6inches.

Do you ever make your very own customized palettes to consolidate or otherwise? :)




24 comments:

Huong Lan Lee said...

Hi Jen! :) It's lovely to read a post that's a lil different from others. Personally I prefer to use the lipstick as it is because it's quick to apply though I do like the feeling of applying the colour onto my lips with a lip brush :P

http://lifelivinginlondon.blogspot.co.uk/

Karen Chin said...

Wow they look so pretty arranged like that, and love all the colours! Applying lipsticks with a lip brush is much better than straight from the bullet as it gives you more control which I love :) Despite this, I don't think I would be able to destroy my precious lipsticks (I don't too many) haha!


http://reveriebelle.blogspot.com

Jemimah said...

ive always thought about doing that! but i do dread doing it

Angie said...

that's really neat! i like tubes of lipsticks but they sure take up a lot of space. this way you'll also be encouraged to use a lip brush to apply too

Cynthia said...

This sounds like a great idea. I probably would do this if my lipstick is running low on me and wants to use every bit of it. Thanks for the idea on this.

Dawn Do said...

I love reading DIY. This is a great one. Have you tried makeing lipstick out of crayola crayons?

P.S.- I followed you on bloglovin dear, hope you can return the favor :)

Dawn @ www.Pursiko.com

TheProcrastinator said...

That first photo looks like a watercolour box! If you ever outgrow your current lip storage, you could try one of those!

Kathy said...

Thank you for sharing this DIY! I love DIY posts. Great job on depotting your lippies. It's a great idea that you improvised and used a craft palette.

Rae said...

Dang I shouldve done that, scooping out all of the lipstick inside the tube

Cassandrapamela said...

oh they look like so much fun to play with!! you can create your own lip color and everyday will be different.. exciting!! But I am a packaging sucker, so I don't think I could part with my lipstick bullets.. T.T

Mei Jein said...

Oh this is pretty awesome c:
It's like your own personal

palettes of colors!


xx http://icepandora.blogspot.com

Sunny @Mostly Sunny said...

Oh wow, I've never attempted anything like this, and I don't know if I will! Most of the time I prefer lipsticks that can be applied straight out of the tube, so smushing them seems a bit pointless for me. I do really like how the end result looks though. SO MANY LIPSTICKS! :)

Mandy T said...

Depotting lipsticks make me sad! they no longer look pretty, but it was such an essential for my pro makeup kit. I couldn't stand carry some many lipsticks! It got so heavy and it wasn't practical. Depotted mine into small bead containers too. Wished mine came with the case though!

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

I still have a ton of those lipsticks I can't possibly dream of parting with so I did keep them safe ;)

TracyBeautyReflections said...

This is SO COOL. I'm thinking about doing this too! So much easier to store!

xLoveHappyx said...

omg i almost had a heart attack when i saw you ruining that lipstick! haha but it's for a good cause and it's not actually ruined. i think it's cool that if the lippies melt in the summer, it won't matter because they're jarred :)

Joy said...

Nice tutorial. That's a great idea for new ways of storing lipstick and it must be nice to see all the shades you have without having to take the lids off. x


http://dearjoy8.blogspot.co.uk

Lily said...

Very colourful... and depotting is definitely addictive. I went crazy with depotting my eye shadows once, so I have to be very careful. LOL!

7% Solution said...

This is a cool idea but I don't think I can bring myself to squish ANY lipsticks.

sleepandwater said...

Love how you arranged them by colour :) This seems really useful if you like applying your lipstick with a brush, as you say. But I prefer it apply it straight from the bullet, so I think I'll be keeping my tonne of lipsticks for now :p

Lifeandlensofbeauty said...

lol you have such crafty talents!! These little pots look so cute together! I can't bear to squish and smash any of my lipsticks though - i like their tubes mostly XD

Linh @ blushology.net said...

Great post! I can definitely understand why you couldn't bring yourself to do that to your Chanel lipsticks! It looks great though... and I do agree that depotting is addicting. =)

Andrea said...

I love that you made your own palette that you can take around! Don't think I could do it though, I'm a fan of keeping my lippies pristine cause I'm so OCD about them :P. I also love that you used a chopstick in the process! :)

Pang said...

Glad this system works for you. I actually like to use my lipsticks straight out of the tube so I don't think I could do this but if I did, I probably would put them in a palette like the first picture.