Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Eyeliner Wars: Dollywink vs. K Palette vs. Maybelline

It is pretty much a very standard staple in every woman's makeup arsenal: eyeliners! Liquid, gel, powder... eyeliner is very essential to creating a multitude of looks, whether it be an everyday look or the theatrical.

I've dabbled into liquid eyeliners in the past with a sub par experience. That was many many years ago. I would get raccoon eyes from smudging my eyes a little or my lines would look fine in the morning but I came back to a complete mess a few hours later. It seems makeup companies have heard our complaints and worked really hard to create better formulas - smudgeproof, waterproof, quick drying, you name it. Recently, I started getting back into liquid eyeliners for the sake of convenience and ease. And because there are so many in the market that I want to try, particularly the Japanese ones.


Top to Bottom - Dolly wink Liquid Eyeliner, Maybelline Masterprecise, K Palette 1 Day Tattoo


Dolly Wink, Maybelline, K Palette

Dolly Wink - When I first saw this eyeliner at the Japanese market, I was like...omg I'm loving the polka dot design! It's cute and girly. The felt tip is really easy to control and the ink dries incredibly fast. It is not waterproof but can hold up to watery eyes. I like how you can shake the pen to distribute the ink. Retails for around $10-15 online.

Pros          
+ Sets really quickly - no smudges :)                  
+ Felt tip applicator
+ Deep black color
+ Long lasting
+ Not waterproof but holds up to watery eyes

Cons         
- Not easy to find in the States
- Flat looking color if you prefer a shiny black color

Maybelline Masterprecise  - This looks to be the American version of the Japanese pen-style eyeliners. I bought this one on a whim before Vegas to see how it'll hold up in a different environment and climate. Design wise, it looks pretty similar to the Dolly Wink - slim design, felt tip. And that is where the similiarities end - It has a glossy black sheen when applied. Some people like it matte, some like it shiny. I don't have a preference really but it does require a longer dry time, and you know with hooded eyes it's not the most ideal. The formula is not waterproof and comes off quickly with warm water. Retails for about $6-8 in stores and online.

Pros         
+ Felt tip applicator
+ Has a glossy sheen color (if you like that)
+ Easy to remove

Cons           
- Smudges quickly
- Longer dry time
- Tip was too long; a little slippery

K Palette 1 Day Tattoo - Of the two, this one has to be my favorite! Like Dolly Wink, the formula is really good - long lasting, not smudgy and has a good controllable tip. Unlike the previous two, this one is waterproof and lasts a long time. I had a hard time taking it off even with makeup remover. I didn't particularly care for the super waterproof formula because I normally don't wear waterproof anything. I liked this one because the color was exactly in between Dolly Wink and Maybelline - not super shiny but not too flat. You can shake the pen to distribute ink. Retails for $13-15 online.

Pros           
+ Felt tip applicator
+ Dries quickly
+ Perfect black eyeliner - not too sheeny, not flat
+ Lasts all day

Cons            
- Very hard to take off
- Hard to find in the States


With warm water only -  Dolly Wink, Maybelline, K Palette

I love the versatility of all three eyeliners. They all have something unique about them that's worth owning but I liked the Japanese versions over the Maybelline simply because the formulas translated better for my skin type and eye shape. Both the Dolly Wink and K Palette are very similar so if you own one but not the other, there isn't a big difference in either one to own both unless you want a super waterproof one like the K Palette. 

Readers: What's your favorite eyeliner? :)





43 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh wow! These are awesome swatches - I'm still not used with liquid eyeliner like these - I've heard many great things about Maybelline and Dolly Wink, so I'm hoping to give them a try soon!

reneerx said...

Very nice post, I actually haven't try these yet. It's not convenient to get those Japan and Korean brand makeup products and skin care too, really annoying searching and finding them online. 

Dawnelia said...

Was expecting a good review for Maybelline, but guess not. I'm not a fan of glossy eyeliner and def not a fan of waiting for it to dry. 

Cassandrapamela said...

Looks like a lot of people love Dolly Wink Eye Liner!
I don't really use liquid / pen eye liner since they tend to make my eyes water a lot..
I am now using Maybelline Gel eye liner and I am happy with it :D

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Oh you must have very sensitive eyes! I personally prefer gel liners too! :)

Stephanie said...

I just started using the Dollywink black pencil eyeliner and I love it! I'm curious about their liquid liner now. :) I'm very impressed with my first Dollywink makeup!

Maggie said...

I have the Dollywink one and it stays put like nobody's business! It's great, but I agree the color is very flat. However, I do like matte eyeliners better most of the time, so it works out fine. :)

Janet said...

My favorite would still be dollywink! hands done on it =) 

Gellie Anne Abogado said...

I just ordered a NYX Felt tip eyeliner. Hope it turns out good :)

JunellaTu said...

I love the Dolly Wink one but I might give the tattoo one a try since it's a shinier black. Thanks for the comparisons!

memoiselle said...

Yay I love this post! i have tried both Dolly Wink and K-Palette and I have to say that both works very well! I find that both stays very long without smudging (it might smudge a bit at some days when my skin is very oily) but I prefer Dolly wink because of the shorter brush :D

Isabel said...

I only have the KPalette in Brown and I love it!

Kathy said...

Great review! I love, love, love K-Palette. Have been using it for several years now and it's still my HG liner. I like to keep a back up at all times. Fortunately, I do have my son, who lives in Japan as well as friends who go back and forth to Japan regularly so it's not too difficult to get. iMomoko carries it as well as Ichibankao. Recently, our local Don Quijote started carrying it. It's expensive but great as a last resort back up resource.

sleepandwater said...

I didn't even know Maybelline had a felt tip eyeliner! I really want to try Dolly Wink but it is so expensive in physical shops here because it's imported and a niche market product. The packaging is so adorable though! I use Bourjois Liner Feutre and it's my favourite :)

laura said...

I wish I could wear liquid liner. All the ones I've tried haven't been good at all. The best one so far has been an UD one, but I'd much rather draw a line with gel liner and then set it with a nice, glittery powder. I do, however, want to try Dolly Wink and K Palette. I've heard a lot of good things (along with you review) about them! 

Amyboo said...

That k-palette eyeliner looks too good to be true..I currently have Maybelline Stiletto Eyeliner which workers really well and gives nice color pay off, but I do find myself re-applying mid day! I think I gotta get myself the k-palette one. 
Thanks for sharing the swatches! 

Blush said...

I wear liquid liner almost everyday! They're so easy to use once you get used to it. I'm a big fan of teh Loreal Super Liners but I've always wanted to try Dolly Wink - maybe because of the fab reviews and packaging!

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

I think part of it was the packaging more than anything else for the Dolly Wink! LOL

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Hi Amy! The K Palette is too good to be true LOL I'll have to check out the Stiletto eyeliner =D 

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

I still prefer the feel of a gel liner (even though I can't feel it on my eyes). It seems easier to control :p

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Yeah it's quite expensive to get Dolly Wink. It retails for $20 at the local Japanese market here! -_-

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Thanks Kathy for your input! I'll def keep in mind those sites that sell K Palette. I've heard only good things about it and i"m happy to hear it's your HG! ^_^

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Brown....i had no idea! :)

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Np! Hope you get to try it ^___^

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Let us know how that goes!

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Yay for Dolly Wink. Seems like a lot of ppl love that one over any of the numerous kinds in the market =P

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Hey Maggie! Good for you :) Seems  a lot of ppl love Dolly Wink! ^_~

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Oh yeah, I've tried the Maybelline gel liner. It works great, I agree =D And the brush that comes with it is pretty nifty!

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Thanks!

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Hey Steph! Thanks! ^_^ 

herroyalbleakness said...

I can't wait to check out the K-palette liner after this post! I've seen K-palette posted by a lot of peeps but your review's the bomb to make me want it so badly...

Che P. said...

Nice comparison. I'm a pen liquid liner fiend but i'm pretty loyal to the one i buy from physicians formula. I've always seen the dolly wink liner and loved the design but the price is just a huge turn off.

And totally agree, finding a holy grail lined that doesn't give you raccoon eyes is always a challenge.

wonderwoman45 said...

I've always used Maybelline coz it works best for me, but I might try out some Japanese versions now, too. Thanks for the review! :)

http://wonderwomanrises.blogspot.com

April Hollie said...

awesome review! I stopped using felt tip eye liners since they tend to dry out quickly.

Unknown said...

oh i have to try those!! my fave one so far is urban decay liquid eyeliner in perversion!

Nic Nic from Bangbangsheshoots said...

I'm still leaning onto Heroine make for the fool-proof liquid pen liner.. K-palette actually wears off on me lol. the KATE ones I'm testing has actually be pretty good. I can't trust western pen liners unfortunately, same goes for their gel liners as well! Thanks for sharing!

Girlie Blogger said...

Cool review. Isn't felt tip awesome? They glide on so easily.
 

Emie said...

I have never heard of the K palette so that is why I wanna try it out. I have used Maybelline and I like it but not much. I have never used dolly wink but I want a super waterproof one like the K palette. So I'll check on this one first.

Jenee C. said...

What an excellent and thorough review! I love the polkadot packaging of Dollywink. That alone is enough to win me over.

xx Jenee C.
{camo meets couture}

Lifeandlensofbeauty said...

Great comparison post! My favourite liner(s) are: MAC Pearl glides, Armani Waterproof Smooth Silk eye pencil, Bobbi Brown Long-wearing eye pencils and UD 24/7 comes close. I could never use liquid ones :-( my hands would fidget!

Christine said...

this is so awesome! thanks for doing this post :) i always love the packing of Dolly Wink, it's so pretty! but I like the consistency of K Palette more, and it looks like it's the best out of them :)

http://www.chriissydollxo.com

MereMakeupManiac said...

wow you're a super eyeliner girl! lol lotsa options there.
i do read lots of reviews that K Palette stays for a long, long time.
you're another testimony to it's popularity. (^__^)
am more of a gel liner kind of gal just because i'm a bit impatient with lining my eyes 
with perfect strokes as is usually the case with liquid liners.
my favorite right now is from Kate, it's cheap, dries fast, very black and does not dry out as fast as MAC's fluidline.

Nancy Hernandez said...

Great comparison! It seems like the Maybelline one is dark, but comes off easier. Right now I am still loving the L'oreal Lineur Intense liquid liner and actually also the L'oreal Voluminous pen eyeliner :)