Friday, August 24, 2012

Review: Philosophy's Hope is not Enough Facial Firming Serum

Serums are an integral part of a skincare routine, whether it's used for hydration, anti-aging or a bit of everything. I was lucky enough to get a deluxe sample of Philosophy's When Hope is Not Enough a few months ago during one of my shopping rounds. I was able to use the sample for about 1 month in the evenings.


Since using it, I've noticed a subtle difference in my skin, both in elasticity and texture. The serum claims to revitalize a dull complexion, reduce reduce wrinkles and lines, and hydrates and brightens skin. Since the serum is so antioxidant rich, it also works to treat damage caused by environmental stressors like UV damage, chapped skin, etc. 

Of course I love the packaging. The dropper makes me feel scientific and brainy. I dispensed about a nickel sized amount each time and pat it on my face before applying anything else.


The texture is watery, and absorbs very quickly into skin. Too quickly, in fact, that my skin felt dry just minutes after. There is no filmy feeling, no sticky feeling. It feels essentially just like water. 

Before/After (one month)

Before/After (1 month)


With sunscreen, concealer and a bit of powder

These are the results after 1 month of continuous use. What I like about this serum is that there are a lot of extracts and skin loving ingredients. I like how it lightened some of my spots and soothed my skin significantly. 

What I disliked about the product was the smell. It had a very bitter medicinal lab smell. Not even an earthy herbal smell which I would have liked but the bitter was quite potent. I didn't enjoy that part.

While it's not a miracle product (nothing is!), it's a nice serum. My skin looks firmer, more even and softer. This is a product I would repurchase because Philosophy products have always exceeded my expectations. I noticed changes within weeks and I'm happy to say that this product delivers good results! 

It retails for $40 for a 1 oz bottle. 



I've always loved Philosophy skin care. Their inspirational sayings on each of their products are always uplifting and human. I'm currently using their Hope in a Jar moisturizer. I'll def review that when the time comes. 

Are you a Philosophy fan? What's your favorite product? 

28 comments:

Sunny said...

I think this really worked! Within one month if you can see such a difference, I'd call it a miracle worker! I'm not the biggest fan of Philosophy but they do have nice stuff! My favorite is their Microdelivery Peel. I can't use it too often (once every 10 days), but it works wonders!

Unknown said...

your skin looks great!

http://blog.dawnelia.com/

Unknown said...

Hey Jen, I haven't been able to commit and actually try any of the Philosophy products because there's a smell to all of their stuff. It's not a bad smell just this underlying scent. Can't quite put my finger on it and hard to explain.

Results after one month use is fantastic. One month really isn't that long. Some products are only effective 'long term' and even after 6 months you might not get results at all.

Maggie said...

Wow it definitely made a difference! Your skin looks brighter and firmer. It's pretty amazing for a month. :)

I need to un-lazify my skincare routine. So not good for my skin :(

Jen said...

never heard of it... i think, might have seen the packaging before though! wow, the product looks really promising, your skin does look brighter and clearer :D i think i may try this serum now!

CuteDumpling said...

Oh wow! This stuff is great! I've never tried this before. My favorite one is their Purity Made Simple Cleanser and Take a Deep Breath :)

www.cutedumpling.blogspot.com

Jacqueline said...

Ooh this is something I will want to try when my current serum runs out. I was planning to get the Kiehl's brightening one but this looks like something I may want to try too.

Unknown said...

You look so bright and glowing!

Joey Anna said...

Your skin does look different! Wow.

Anna said...

I'm a huge fan of philosophy! I just ran out of their liquid soap so I'll need to give this a try when I'm out. Again, this all comes down to how my unreasonably sensitive skin will react (I hate living in fear of every product).

Shopping Obsession said...

If you can spot difference within a month of use, I would say this is a miracle serum. I have used their hope in a jar cream(as raved by Oprah) and have been quite happy with the results. But then you said the smell is not that pleasant, I would have to check it out in store and make sure I can tolerate the scent before purchasing. Thanks for the review!

Unknown said...

The dropper seems very cool! I'd feel like a scientist :P Thanks for dropping by! I haven't seen your posts for a while. It's great to read all of the ones I've not seen. ^^

http://lifelivinginlondon.blogspot.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

wow this is fabulous! now, i'm dying to try! heheh
i finally opened my blog and made a blog post ...
it's been ages.. oh, i missed reading your posts!
keep in touch!

Denysia Yu said...

I have used a couple of the philosophy body washes, but I've never used any of their skincare line. I will look into this next time, I'm at Sephora!

http://denysiayu.blogspot.com

Bravoe Runway said...

I've only tried philosophy lipgloss, but never skincare. This serum looks great, I use clinique all about eyes serum in a roll on and then an eye cream from origins. Any product with a bitter/medicinal smell would probably sway my decision towards the no...I have a hard time with products that are overly scented, so no bitter stuff for me.

Anonymous said...

You have such good skin Jenn! I can see the serum results coming through - definitely brightened :)

I'm rubbish with serums! I have oily t-zones that kind of puts me off from using oil skin treatments.. hopefully in the future. Great review!

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

I'm super curious about this one now. I am a HUGE serum-addict. And even more partial to antioxidant serums. This one looks lovely--I'll have to check it out!

Popcorn said...

Yeah, there are no miracle products...sadly. haha Thanks for the review though. I don't think I will be picking this up since its already off my budget. Ive only used their lotion and its pretty nice

Frances said...

Hmmm I've only used one product from Philosophy... which is the purity cleanser :D I thought it was nice but wasn't in love O_o Oh wait I have used another Philosophy oil-free moisturizer as well ahaha almost forgot. I thought it was nice as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is my general impression of their products is nice but not amazing XD the serum does make your complexion look so nice though... brighter and clearer... gonna keep a lookout for this when I run out of serum :D

Katherine Tealeaf said...

Your skin is so lovely. I've heard so many good things about philosophy but haven't tried them yet. Where I live the products are really expensive though haha.

Memoiselle said...

Your skin looks glowy! The packaging looks simple and pretty. I like it :)

Unknown said...

Your skin is looking amazing <3
I think serums are my favorite skin care product. They are so multi-functional!

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

Good info on this one. I dislike watery serums, as well as foul smell. So I will pass on this. Your skin is really nice, by the way.
Mom Fitness Journal | Girlie Blog Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

Winnie said...

It looks like an interesting product. I'm always on the look out for products that can really help to tame my skin and improve it's appearance so I'm glad this one worked out for you!

Lisa said...

wahh that's amazing i really can see a difference after just using it for a month! i need something for all my spots.. i never really noticed them before.. but i got like 3 or 4 bug bites in the last month ALL on my face!! and now i have huge spots where i got bit ARGH!! maybe i will give this a whirl!! thanks for the review hon :)!

Indira Cherietmoi said...

Thanks for posting this, Jen. Your skin does look brighter! I never tried Philosophy before, but would love to try the sample. ^_^

Mai said...

wow ur skin looks brighter after 1 month! I recently bought the Skinceuticlas Feurlic Acid thingi hoping it would give me brighter more radiant skin.. Haven't used it yet but fingers crossed =P

Frely Du said...

the effect is really amazing~ obviously looks better than before~~~good 
makeup stuff