Friday, March 9, 2012

Thoughts on Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

About a month ago (Feb 7 to be exact), I started drinking apple cider vinegar on a daily basis for health improvements and cleansing. I've read about the benefits from several bloggers and I was really interested in trying it out for myself and reaping its benefits. Read on if you're interested in my experience!



This vinegar is a funny little thing. It's made from organic fermented apples (Santa Barbara), unfiltered, unpasteurized and unheated with 5% acidity.

How I had it everyday was right before breakfast, lunch and dinner. I would mix 1-2 teaspoons to a 12oz glass of water and I drank without adding any sweeteners. Taste-wise, it is very pungent and the smell is putrid! But since I diluted it with so much water, you will barely "feel" the burn of the vinegar but you will still taste it. The smell is less concentrated. I got use to it after awhile, especially drinking it 3x a day everyday for 1 month.

Below are some of my observations. And I also included a bit of my lifestyle so you can see how it relates to you.


My Lifestyle:
1. I have a 9-5 office job.
2. I go to the gym 4x a week (sometimes 3), and I run 2-2.5 miles on the treadmill, I do 50 pushups, 50 situps and some weight machines.
3. I eat out a lot on the weekends.
4. Snacking is my biggest vice! I've lessened it but it's a continuous.struggle. I have dinner before 6pm.
5. I eat pretty healthy on weekdays, but I more than make up for it on the weekends, lol. You live once!


My observations after 1 month of drinking Apple Cider Vinegar:
1. I noticed during my first week I felt less sluggish and more energized. I slept better, woke up more refreshed.
2. I also didn't feel as hungry - my metabolism improved for sure!
3. My skin also cleared up and I didn't need to use pimple creams
4. I was more "regular". My engines felt cleaner!
5. I lost some weight. This is probably due to my metabolism working harder and me having more energy to work out.

Now that I finished 1 month, I feel it is a great supplement for my sedentary day job. At first I was really skeptical about drinking vinegars because they seem so highly processed. But vinegar actually is a breakdown of other acids and it includes other minerals, vitamins, salts and amino acids that are good for you. I've read in numerous blogs that raw apple cider vinegar breaks down fats in your body so your body can use them as energy, removes toxins to promote regularity, and clear your skin from blemishes and improve your complexion.

All of those points sound really good... right? o_o I was skeptical too, but I did lots of research and found that it's an alternative medicine and based less on science and more on the "nature" of the vinegar, which used in conjunction with organic apples and undistilled raw vinegar, there are many benefits for your body. And it is not highly processed as I thought in the beginning. Regular white vinegar is highly processed but raw apple cider vinegar is not.

Overall, I felt that this drink really improved my health. The results are not overnight and you really have to go at it fiercely (drinking it everyday!) for nature can take its course, but I felt that little improvements in my health really made a big difference in my overall lifestyle. So in the course of 1 month, I drank two 16oz bottles but everyday we made it for two people so if it's for 1 person, I think 1 bottle a month should do it if you plan to use 1-2 teaspoons before each meal. I bought both my bottles at GNC health stores and at the time they had a buy 1 get one half off promotion, and it was around $4-5 dollars per bottle. I learned you can pick it up at supermarkets like Lucky's as well. On the Bragg online store, it's $3.49.

I know this is not for everyone and my trials were solely based on my experiences. I was in it for health reasons and that helped me a great deal to get over the smell of the vinegar and the sour, pungent taste of it.

Have you ever tried Apple Cider Vinegar or any long term health improving remedies? What are your thoughts?

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so proud of you for doing this--I tried it once, and I never tried it every again because I hated the taste so much =] I wish I had the same discipline as you as the many health benefits are so enticing =]

Eden-Avalon said...

I've only ever used apple cider to help topically with my skin problems! Very interesting read!

Unknown said...

This stuff is good. It does smell like really really really stinky feet.

Anyway I mix a tablespoon with warm water and teaspoon of honey.

Sometimes I use it in my salad with some olive oil.

MissS.elle said...

That is very interesting! I initiated my bf to use apple cider vinegar as a toner after seeing bubzbeauty video on it. Unfortunately it didn't work on him very acne-prone skin :(

Hollie said...

oh my, what an awesome find. I'm glad that this did wonders for you. and the best part is, it's so damn affordable! thanks for sharing.

TheDiversePhD said...

I haven't tried this before or heard of using as a dietary supplement but I am intrigued. Thanks for sharing and I am glad you actually saw good results :)

Amy said...

This definitely sounds great...I've done research on apple cider vinegar too, and a lot of people feel the same way as you too after drinking it. I really should start! Thanks for sharing your observation!

Susie said...

I love the benefits but I HATE the smell! :(

WICKERMOSS said...

this one has a lot benefits indeed! love the post!

Blush said...

Ooh I've never heard of this before! Sounds interesting and effective :) I might consider it but I really need to consider doing more exercise - need to get back to the 3/4 times a week routine!

Thu Nguyen said...

Reading this makes me really want to try it! I need to be more healthy!
Lovely blog, great words. :)

originalnumber.blogspot.com xo

Sharlynn said...

Sounds like it helped you! My mom used to drink this on a regular basis and I personally can't stand the smell of it! :(

I guess if it's helped you out, keep at it! I've yet to find something to give my routine a boost, I've just been making sure I have a fruit a day and drink lots of water!

Anonymous said...

this is a popular beauty remedy in Japan - heard it's great for the skin! Unfortunately it's pretty pricey in Japan

sugar sugar said...

after reading your post, i think i ought to try this too. :) thank you for sharing your experience! :D

Unknown said...

OMG, are you serious??? My mom drinks this everyday, like I'm not kidding lol. She's been telling me to try it for the longest time, but I'm like eh...I never listen to my mommy and she's right lol.

OK, I'm gonna buy my own bottle and get on it! Thanks.

Anna said...

i cant stand the smell >.<

xoxo elle