Monday, January 16, 2012

Shiseido White Lucent Skincare Review

Hello darlings! Happy Monday! As such, January is halfway over already. Where has all the time gone...? Certainly not doing anything productive I'm afraid o_o Nothing but skincare matters at this time of the year, right? We all want to have a good skincare regime to follow and  pray to god on our knees  hope our current one is the one. That works, of course.

So here I am, after months of fickling and fumbling, testing or otherwise... I have come to the conclusion that Shiseido White Lucent has some good products but the overall line is just average.


L-R - Balancing Softener, SPF 15 moisturizer, emulsion lotion, and cleanser

The Cleanser


What it is:  Brightening cream cleanser that lathers up generously 

Claims: Brighten skin, remove impurities 

Packaging: Plastic twist cap tube; practical

Texture: Creamy texture; lathers up quickly
Scent: Lightly scented soap smell 
Strengths: I love cream cleansers and I love how it lathers so generously without much effort. It also feels very concentrated.  My skin feels very clean afterwards - no oily residue feeling
Weaknesses: A bit drying at times. For me it depends on the weather but I follow up with a rich softener/emulsion
Availability/Price: $35.00/4.7 oz/139ml - Sephora, Department Stores, Shiseido 
Ingredients:  Water, Myristic Acid, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Dipropylene Glycol, Lauric Acid, PEG-60 Gyceryl Isostearate, PEG-32, PEG-6, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Glycol Distearate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Fragrance, Trisodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Limonene, Serine, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, Tocopherol  

Overall: This cleanser is quite nice and surprisingly not harsh. It's not the gentlest of cleansers, but it does make my face feel very clean. It can wash off a face full of makeup, but I don't recommend it. It tends to dry out skin if you're removing makeup with it... but other than that, I think this cleanser is nice and something I would buy for that "deep cleaning" feeling.

Protective Emulsion SPF 15


What it is:  Moisturizer with SPF 15 sun protection. To be used after balancing softener.

Claims: Preventative care from sunburn and aging

Packaging: Glass bottle with hygienic pump.

Texture: Lightweight gel-like texture; easy to spread, thin; absorbs to skin quickly
Scent: Lightly scented soap smell.  No sunscreen smell!
Strengths: Absorbs amazingly! I love that it's a moisturizer first. It's very thin but feels amazing on skin!
Weaknesses: The SPF is not high enough. I just use it for moisturizing and add on a sunscreen if I need to
Availability/Price: $54.50/2.5 oz/74ml - Sephora, Department Stores, Shiseido counters
Ingredients: Octinoxate 4.9%, Octocrylene 5.0%
Overall: I love the texture of this moisturizer soooo much. It's absorbs so well and the "greasy" feel is non existent. I just wish it had at least spf 30 to back its claim in preventing sunburns and aging! 

The Emulsion



What it is: Facial emulsion that gives an extra hydration boost to dry skin; to be used after softener 

Claims: Brightens skin, moisturizes 

Packaging: Glass bottle with hygienic pump
Texture:  It's watery and thin, gel-like texture - moisturizes fairly well but leaves a little trace of residue.
Scent: Lightly scented soap smell
Strengths: Very hydrating, thin texture and spreads evenly very easily/not thick; refreshing on skin
Weaknesses: Leaves some residue, a bit oily
Availability/Price: $59.50/2.5 oz/75ml -  Sephora, Department Stores, Shiseido counters
Ingredients:  Contains tranexamic acid, multi-target vitamin C, Super Hydro-Synergy Complex and other key ingredients (could not find the entire list of ingredients)
Overall: The formula is very lightweight but moisturizes intensely. My skin felt smoother upon weeks of usage and rough spots on my skin have softened out or diminished entirely. I can't say my skin has "brightened" but it is certainly less dry. 

The Balancing Softener



What it is:  Balancing softener/toning lotion

Claims: Lighten dark spots, even out skin

Packaging: Pretty glass bottle with a nozzle to pour the liquid onto your hands.
Texture: Watery and a bit tacky/sticky to pat on face or to saturate in cotton pad
Scent: Lightly scented soap smell
Strengths: Easy absorbency on skin; hydrating and feels refreshing. I just pat this on my face after cleansing to hydrate it back. 
Weaknesses: There is a bit of alcohol 
Availability/Price: $48.00/5oz/150ml - available at  Sephora, Department Stores, Shiseido counters
Ingredients: Could not find online! =/ ...Features Tranexamic acid, Erythritol, apricot extracts, and Super Hydro-Synergy Complex normalize cell turnover to retexturize skin (taken from Sephora.com)
Overall: There is a bit of alcohol so those who are sensitive to it should avoid this. It dries really quickly (because of the alcohol), and my skin feels nice and refreshed after cleansing. I haven't seen drastic improvements in my skin, but it hydrates well enough. Because of the alcohol, I probably won't repurchase this. 




Overall, the entire line is mediocre. To be honest, it is a bit overpriced and I don't like I can't easily find the ingredients online. Separately the products have their own good features but together as a skincare regime, it may be too rough on skin. My skin hasn't improved significantly because of this regime alone but it's an adequate choice for people who favor brightening products because it seems to focus on lightening age spots and preventing future ones.








34 comments:

Kalmo said...

Thanks for the skin care review! I haven't tried skincare from that brand but I've always been interested. Sorry to hear together the set was too rough on your skin. The packaging is pretty but I will skip it since you said the set was mediocre.

Angie | Pandaphilia.com said...

it's always sad to try out skincare for a long time and then the products don't seem to do anything. at least you're diligent in taking care of that radiant skin of yours! i'm trying to start paying attention to my skin this year, starting with scrubbing my face with oatmeal bits and doing facial masks in the middle of the night to freak out my guy housemate hahaha xD

Popcorn said...

Hmmmm, interesting line. I've never heard of this line. Is it like an Asian exclusive line? But too bad it isnt as good as the price. Being a poor poor student, I think I'm gonna have to pass on this item >.< Thanxs for the reviews.

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

I tried another shisheido moisturizer one time and really wasn't that impressed either. Oh well.

www.thegirlieblog.com

pricillia lumantoro said...

Thanks for the review.so tempting:p

Jamilla Camel said...

This wasn't aggressive enough for me, so I stopped using it!

Maggie said...

Good to hear your thoughts on the line! I should start fine tuning my skincare routine; it's a mess right now hahaha xD

WICKERMOSS said...

i tried this and yeah this range is on the average side, agree!

Sonya said...

Hey doll! I used to use a lot of Shiseido and then I felt like it was just overpriced for mediocre results, just like you said. As for juicing, it's expensive but it's totally worth it if you have belly fat that you are struggling to lose (that was my problem). I lost a lot of fat from my stomach area. Now I'm going to workout to lose another 10-15lbs and to tone my body. I would never rely on juicing as the only way to lose weight. I did work out for about 1/2 hour every other day while juicing. :)

Sonya said...

Oh & I'm 4'11. ;)

welldressedmaker said...

I hear the same things from other bloggers. I was going to invest in the whole line, but if it's really not that amazing, then I should save more pennies and just splurge on something else :)

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

MissS.elle said...

Thank you for the review! :D I've been wanting to try this line, but after being disappointed with their Skincare line cleanser, I never ventured into Shiseido products anymore x)

Citrine said...

I love the cleanser as it was the only one that doesn't sting my face when it was ultra sensitive. I did notice some spot fading with prolonged use but I mainly like it because it takes so little to lather and one full-sized tube lasts for at least half a year on me.

Makeup and Mutts said...

Nice reviews! I'd really like to try the moisturizer. :)

Amy said...

Ooooh! Sadly, this line doesn't really target my needs. I'm quite oily/combo. :') Too bad it's mediocre! I agree that the products are a teeny tiny overpriced for their value!

Sharlynn said...

I've been using their more affordable sister line Aqual label and the cleanser from the line has been amazing for me. Skin has improved so much, I've been lusting after some things in the lucent line! sorry to hear they didn't perform with any great results for you!

Diana said...

Great review!! I always thought that shiseido's products are overpriced but they seem to have that simple no scent on their products that always attracted people ^_^

Nunu said...

I always see asian aunties at the Shiseido counter buying this line in truckloads.
Like you said, perhaps it's better for more mature skin and for people who want to whiten and brighten.

Blush said...

Thanks for the review! I've not heard of these products before and have never tried any Shiseido products. Shame they don't give good results!

cushy said...

so glad i read this post. i'm searching for uneven skit tone products to get rid of old acne scars. glad that i don't have to spend $$$ for products that doesn't work thanks to reviews like yours :)

Christina said...

Great post! I used to use Shiseido and then stopped..and then thought about it again. I'm glad I read this! :]

xx
Christina

Unknown said...

Thank you for the review! I have a lot of trouble finding skincare I'm happy about. I feel so disappointed when I spend money on a new skincare line and find out that its not effective :( Out of all the skincare lines you have tried what have you found works best for you?

Eden-Avalon said...

Well at least now we know. It's too bad. Given the price, one would have high hopes!

Unknown said...

Jenny: Hi Jenny! ^_^ I haven't stumbled upon any skin products that "do it all" yet...but as for moisturizing, I think Korres is a great. I use heavier creams overnight like Vani Cream to keep my face from drying out and that has worked wonders! :D Im giving Naruko a thumbs up too, their Magnolia line is quite nice :D

tiffyama said...

Thank you for the review on this line! I've head/read a few things about the Shiseido White Lucent line...but guess it really isn't that great overall. Finding the right skin regime is quite tough! -sigh-

Mary said...

I've read about this line! thanks for sharing..I'll have to test this out soon!

Mary

Anonymous said...

a real shame that you find it mediocre with a big price tag like that!! I really like hunting around for my skin care - the price tag and value definitely comes to mind a lot.

Jen said...

I've never tried Shisedo products purely based on the outrageous price of that brand here, but the sub-brand ZA works well for me and is a much cheaper alternative!

Aya said...

I love cream cleansers, too! Hihi I've never tried using products just from a certain line before. I'm still looking for the perfect ones for me. Thanks for this review :D

Karen said...

It's sad when high-end products don't live up to their price! I used Shiseido face and eye cream before.. it worked fine but but I find other department store brands (ie Clinique) work great for me too :) At least it feels like a pampering treatment each time you use the White Lucent set though right? :)

Unknown said...

Karen: Absolutely! It does feel like pampering :D Clinique has worked for me as well!

Maryam Maquillage said...

shiseido is amazing, I love all their products!

Haus of Style said...

I agree. I think Shiseido is so-so. I did use it for a month prior to my wedding but they were quite expensive. Thanks for the review! Hope you had a great weekend!

Lisa said...

OMG thanks for reviewing this.. EVERYTIME i go back to taipei.. i always see this at the department store and think about buying it but never do because of the cost.. i'm glad to hear that it's only average!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS REVIEW!!!