Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thrifty Makeup Removers

Makeup removers have been known to be one of the best investments for your skin! I am pretty thrifty when it comes to buying them though, because I've seen many inexpensive ones that do a fantastic job. Better than fantastic because they're affordable and easily accessible. Who doesn't love that?!

Here are three of my picks:

 Sephora Waterproof Makeup Remover, $6.00 for 1.69oz, $9.50 for 4.2oz is a plant based eye makeup remover that has a dual oil and water phase that you have to shake up to use (much like the Lancome Bifacil, but much cheaper). It's really gentle on the skin, and good for people with sensitive eyes and/or contact lens wearers.





Before: Lipstain, waterproof gel liner with glitter, waterproof mascara, lipstick




Most of the makeup came off after using 3 cotton squares. It's highly unlikely I'll ever wear this much makeup ever. But I guess I have some sense of security knowing that I could. It's ideal for eye makeup but it's pretty good with everything else.

Biore Cleansing Oil, $13.99 for 5oz is a Japanese drugstore cleansing oil that removes everything! Unfortunately, the Biore products in the US and Japan are so incredibly different! The ones from Japan have the cutest packaging and cool formulas. This one has a fruity scent, but not really bothersome or strong.


To use this oil, you dispense a few pumps into your hands and massage your face dry. Use a little water to emulsify the oils, and the makeup should slowly come off. Rinse off and follow with a gentle cleanser. 

I never appreciated cleansing oils until recently. I never understood how to use them before, but once I learned how, I realized how wonderful it is... everything comes off!


Took off some of the remaining residue that the Sephora one couldn't pick up. I cleaned the left side of my arm. 

And finally, here is the most thriftiest of thrifts! Brace yourself for.........

Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Yep! You've probably seen this on Youtube and in a vast amount of beauty blogs, discussion boards and whatnot. But olive oil is truly, truly the best one to use. Not only is it affordable, it's also super easy to find. 

I get the Extra Virgin bottle because it is the most readily available one in my grocer and is of the highest grade for olive oil, but you can choose fancy schmancy ones like Extra Virgin that's cold pressed, 1st pressed, which basically means that the oil was never heated to a certain temp making it the most meticulous method of extracting the oil. 


This was like $7.99 or something. Do the same as you would with a cleansing oil and be surprised! 

These are all amazing makeup removers and equally as good as the pricier ones. I'm looking at you, Shu Uemura!

Goodnight!




35 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use Shu Uemura Cleansing oil. I go through a horrible congested skin while using them even after I rewash my face with a normal cleanser after each use :( After my experience with Shu I avoid cleasing oil at all cost :(

http://nicolesmirror.blogspot.com/

Su said...

Great reviews! Love that pic, whoa it has wiped out everything!
I use Jojoba oil to cleanse sometimes, works just as well as olive oil, only lighter

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

Good list. I love using olive oil.

http://www.thegirlieblog.com

Jamilla Camel said...

I use DHC olive oil makeup remover. It's easier to remove than regular olive oil and rinses off with water!

mybeadifullife said...

i hate using makeup remover because it dries out my skin really bad, but i love using oils. i use jojoba and olive oil, after seeing it on youtube for waterproof makeup. so much gentler! i couldn't believe how easy it works

Mei said...

Another really cheap and EXTREMELY effective eye "makeup remover" is petroleum jelly. Love it!

Unknown said...

Nicole: Aw, that's terrible. Maybe try a more diluted cleansing oil? I know the Shu ones are really thick.

Su: Jojoba is such a great idea! Thanks!

Jamilla: Love DHC! =)

Mybeadifullife: I have to check out jojoba now!

Mei: Interesting, thank you =D

Nunu said...

I could never understand why people dumped huge amounts of money on cleanser or makeup remover. The cheap stuff does just as good or sometimes an even better job!
A favourite of mine is those huge packs of face wipes you get from Costco or Balea. The Balea ones are $5-9 for a box of 120 and it removes all the crap I put on my face in one wipe.

Stephanie said...

This is so interesting Jen! I've never seen the Sephora one here, but thumbs up to Olive oil!!

mizzsandychau said...

hi like how you drew on your arm haha. Wow they remove so well. I've been using this japanese brand for years and still love it because it takes off everything and doesn't require rinsing (on your lazy days. It's from the brand Mandom, i did a review on it.
You know i never tried the virgin oil trick before, i should really give it a go.

welldressedmaker said...

I am pretty thrifty when it comes to makeup removers but only because I cleanse my skin RIGHT after I take my makeup off. I can't believe you did that to your arm! that's just crazy! and unbelievable that that makeup remover took it off! I've never heard of the Biore one, but I wanna try it!

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Kileen said...

oh great review!! i hate spending so much money on makeup removers!

cute & little

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review! The Target brand eye makeup remover is great too! I think jojoba oil is a great alternative for removing makeup! It's gentle and does a great job cleansing the face!

Jen said...

Thanks for the post ^___^
I probably can't find anything but the olive oil here in NZ (maybe a different version of the Biore oil cleanser) but YAY thank you! I'll give my oil cleanser a try too ^.^

Anonymous said...

Ahh great reviews! I once tried olive oil to cleanse and my skin reacted to it but strangely I'm using a cleansing oil right now that has olive oil! Maybe I can't use the pure stuff.. thanks for the bday wishes for my husband :) I didn't have a good experience with Shu... it made my skin quite congested, this was a few years ago!

Amy said...

I have the most amazing makeup remover from the CVS brand. I paid 6 USD for it which is increeedible! So perfect. It gets rid of all my eye makeup in 1 square. :D

Anonymous said...

I use Neutrogena Makeup remover and love it. It never irritates my eyes.

MereMakeupManiac said...

not sure if S$33 is thrifty, but i favor Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil a lot - it's my HG makeup remover. i think the price is reasonable, considering i only use 2 full pumps for the entire face.

i've heard of removing makeup with olive oil but am scared it will clog my pores and i have oily skin. (T_T)

ShinyPrettyThings said...

i am currently using the biore 1. it works great! i am so lazy i dont even bother using a separate eye makeup remover. i just slather the oil all over my face hahaha it does a great job at removing my stubborn japanese mascaras.

abc said...

what a great post! They all look like they do an amazing job. Really impressive! i've always wanted to try olive oil as an eye makeup remover, must remember to raid the kitchen the enxt time I take off my makeup.

Alexis the Honey B said...

I use Almay makeup removers. This is a GREAT post!!! Thank you for the reviews!

Laiqah said...

I LOVE to remove my make up with Extra Virgin Olive Oil! It really gets rid of all my make up and does not irritate my eyes which most other make up removers do!

Haus of Style said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I always have a hard time finding affordable ones that remove make-up completely. Will have to try these out. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

really want to try that biore oil, sounds like it does a great job, thanks for your product reccomdendations xx

Anonymous said...

thanks for your comment, I'm from Australia :)

Anonymous said...

im using lancome's eyemakeup remover...really pricey but works great! i'll probably try the sephora one when im already out of my lancome...


http://ilovemakeup68.blogspot.com

Jacqueline said...

What a useful post! I've bben using the Maybelline one I definitely want to try the Sephora version, thanks!

Anonymous said...

great review.. thanks for sharing.. i'm a make-up addict but seriously i never like buying expensive make-up removers.. hihi i'll buy tins of make-up or mascara instead buying the pricey remover hihi =)

Anonymous said...

I have used Biore and I agree that everything comes off so well with that! Sadly, it broke me out so I only used it when I had heavy duty waterproof eye makeup on.

sugar sugar said...

thank you for sharing this! i will look into these products haha! :)

Unknown said...

My bf laughs at me for having a bottle of Olive Oil on my makeup counter lol. It's absolutely amazing!

MizzJ said...

I've heard about using olive oil as well! Does it leave a smell though??? I have to agree with you on the Sephora, it's pretty great! I also like Avon's moisture effective remover lotion.

Stephanie C. said...

I've never heard of using olive oil before, but that's a great idea! I might have to try it next time I run out of my makeup remover. This is a great post! :)

Donna said...

oohh the sephora makeup remover sounds nice. have you tried the nivea makeup remover? it serously feels like lotion and its very soothing.. you should try it :) i believe its only for eye makeup too

cosmetics said...

One should remove her make up before sleeping or else it will cause unwanted effects on the skin. I am finding this post worth reading.