Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: Dior Energizing Toner and Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner


I'm nearly 80% done with this toner and it lasted me about 7 months while using it on and off. Dior describes this as an energizing toner that is enriched with white tea to make your skin radiant. It's supposed to be used as the last step of your makeup removing routine. I do like it quite a lot, because it smells amazing (think sweet mango/white grape..) and feels nice and soothing on the skin. I use it only in the morning to remove any impurities from my sleep. I love that it's in a convenient pump so I can just take a cotton round and use it effortlessly. I hate thinking in the morning =p Even though this toner has alcohol in it, I appreciate that it dries fast and leaves no greasiness behind. I prefer my nighttime toners to be liquidy lotion, with moisturizing agents.


PROS
+White Tea is infused in its formula; tightens skin
+My skintone looks brighter and more radiant in the morning. I can see the difference without it.
+One pump does it all - removes dirt, and keeps face fresh. 6.7oz/200ml lasted me about 7 months. I still have 20% leftover.  
+Cost $30 for a generous 6.7oz/200ml bottle. 

CONS
-Alcohol in the ingredients might irritate sensitive skinned folks

Overall, I really like this toner and I'd consider repurchasing it again. I haven't tried anything similar to this so I'm not sure how it compares to other Dior ones. I love the scent SO much. It's ridiculous how fresh smelling it is :) This toner is great for people who have oily and combination skin like myself.



The next one I want to talk about is the Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner :) I've been using this for a few months already (at night) and it's made a big difference in how my skin is absorbing the rest of the skincare products I use. 

After I cleanse my face, I spritz this on and pat this over my face and neck. It has a slight lavender scent that is calming and pretty. I like that the mist is extremely fine and sprays very evenly. It feels amazing on the skin, and hydrates it quite nicely. It really seals in the moisture and works well in combination with my serum and face cream. It "sticks" it better I guess? When I don't use this toner, I noticed my serum and face cream is more runnier on my face but this somehow binds it together and makes it stay on nicely.





There is no alcohol in this toner and is VERY soothing and hydrating. I felt that my skin retained more moisture every time I use this and it's made my skin softer with continued use. I've never tried any other Dermalogica products before, but I know people really like their sunscreens. And they've been around doing skincare for 25 years and have a pretty extensive list of products and research put into the company.

Ingredients:
Extracts Of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint); Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Pca, Sorbitol, Proline, Propylene Glycol, Extracts Of: Malva Sylvestris (Mallow), Hedera Helix (Ivy), Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber), Sambucus Nigra, Arnica Montana, Parietaria Officinalis (Pellitory); Ricinoleth-40, Methyl Gluceth-20, Sorbic Acid, Benzophenone-4, Polysorbate 20, Disodium Edta, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben.

PROS
+Effective toner, very hydrating 
+Spritzer sprays a fine mist so there is no excess liquid to make it wasteful
+Lavender scent (I love!). 
+Uses a lot of calming oils and extracts and absorbs into skin beautifully
+$32 for a  very generous 8.4oz/250ml amount. You can buy 1.6oz bottles on Amazon. Perfect for travel!

CONS
-None so far!

I'd def repurchase this toner because of the hydrating properties it has. It smells very naturalistic and has good for your skin ingredients in it. If I buy the smaller bottles, I could take it with me as a facial spray like I do with my Body Shop Vitamin E spray :) They recommend this for all skin types, although Dermalogica makes a lot of skincare catered for sensitive skin. I highly recommend! :)

A lot of people told me how they don't understand the need for a facial toner if you use a good face wash and cream afterwards but my theory is that not all toners are created equally. There are some that are meant to add back the hydration into the skin, and not just for getting rid of excess dirt and soap (stereotype). My skin always feel extra pampered and plump if I use a rich toning lotion at night and I do believe it makes all the difference in the world when it comes down to taking care of your skin.

Do you use a toner in the AM or PM? Do share your thoughts/beliefs! :) 

Disclaimer: All products have been purchased by me :)



25 comments:

blogger said...

yes, i do use toner every morning and evening! i've read good reviews about dermalogica.thanks for your review, i will definitely buy a set!^_^

Anonymous said...

OOOH thanks for revewing this :) would love to try the dermalogica toner, as i'm out of both my favourite toners at the moment :(
thanks for posting! x

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried the Dior toner but I love the scent of white grape!

Anonymous said...

I use a toner every day as well. I use the Kiehl's Ultra Facial toner as it's really hydrating. The Dermalogica one sounds right up my alley!

mandy said...

Although these are pricier than what I normally buy they sound great! Just in time too since I'm running low on my current toners :D

Kalmo said...

Thanks for the reviews! The Dior toner sounds nice because of the scent. I really want to try Dermalogica products like their daily micro scrub. I would like to use toner into my routine but I'm so acne prone that I worry. I do have some hydrating ones that are nice and feel pampering like you say but I'm just not using them while I'm breaking out. Actually, I guess I'm using Shu Uemura DepSea Water as a toner right now.

Stephanie said...

Alcohol is a big nono for my makeup routine! HAd too many bad experiences with toner and alcohol in them! I like the Dermalogica one :)

Beauty and the Scientist said...

Great review, I use a toner in the AM and PM jus out of habit. If I don't use it after washing my face, I don't think it's clean enough and I'm always on the look for new ones to try. Especially in the AM to help with my oily skin.

mizzsandychau said...

ooo thanks for the reviews! i was looking for a new toner. i'd love to try the dermalogica one even though i've never tried anything from this brand before. i have a small sample of laura mercier's perfecting water. that feels really good too!

Kileen said...

oh the dermalogica toner looks so promising for me!! i have super dry and sensitive skin so i definitely don't want alcohol in my toner. i'll have to check this out!

cute & little

Ashley said...

I use lotion toners nowadays at night but way back in my teens I'd use Clinique's toners which dried the heck out of my skin! I didn't know any better back then but I'm smarter now :)

Unknown said...

great reviews. i agree that not all toners are made the same and the ones that help balance and restore moisture are the ones I'd prefer to use. I'm really interested in the dermalogica one. anything to help soothe and help my other face products sink in better.

Steph said...

i'd love to smell the dior toner, sounds wonderful =]

as for the dermalogica one, gotta test it out in store, hydrating my skin is really important, especially in the winter!!!

Jamilla Camel said...

I'm not a toner girl because of my very dry skin, but the Dermalogica one sounds interesting!

sugar sugar said...

i use a different toner for AM and PM too. :) both of the toners you use sound great and i would like to try both haha! :)

Unknown said...

I really need to have a consistent skin care routine. I find myself using different products too often. I've tried the Dermalogica toner and I actually still have it and I might just use it again :). Also, Dior sounds like a really great toner and so worth the money.

By the way, if ever you check in at The Double Tree hotel, don't foget to ask for the free choc chip cookies. They are soooo good lol

Nunu said...

I disregarded toner for the longest time cos I kept using the old school western toners with tons of alcohol in it and my skin just hated it. Now that I've discovered moisturising lotion type toners I can't live without them!
I want to try the Dermalogica one now

Bravoe Runway said...

Ooo I definitely think I should try the Dermalogica toner because I've been using Clinique Clarifying lotion 1 for years but now that the hormones are kicking in (I turned 30 in Jan) it is time to rethink what I am using. Thank you for doing this review because it is certainly something I need to think about and get something new!

frecklesspeckles said...

interesting! I might try the dermatologica spray to test :)

i do use toner day and night.. it's just became a part of my routine which i think i cannot skip...

Unknown said...

I really like toners that are alcohol free and that are moisturizing~ SO I like the sound of the second one :D

Barbara von Enger said...

I have yet to purchase a toner. I make my own white tea toner and it works wonders on my skin.

Anonymous said...

great review! In Japan lotions are consider to be used to prep the skin before moisturizing. I have used those toners that remove excess dirt in a long while!

stella lee said...

thanks a lot for your amazing review! im thinking to purchase one for myself after reading your post ^_^

youve awesome blog <3

Lisa said...

Ohhh. Thanks for the recs!! I've been wanting to try something from dermilogica but they have so many products and I don't know where to begin and they aren't cheap hahah I will def have to give this toner a try!!! :)

watercoloursky said...

I always need a hydrating toner, it just seems to make my moisturizer hold in moisture more effectively!