Monday, July 18, 2011

Tried and True: Aloe Life skin gel

I know aloe is the purest form of treatment for sunburns and post sun care, but I think it's so understated nowadays with all the moisturizers and lotions with some form of aloe in it, but not the real stuff. The skincare market is full of mumbo jumbo stuff that claim to lighten scars and discoloration but the real stuff is what works although rarely mentioned. Why? Probably because it's not sexy to pluck a piece of aloe from your backyard and use the gel on your face o_o

2 months ago, I got a blistering burn from cooking porridge. The rice in the water burst out landed on my wrist for less than 10 secs but the blistering was inevitable.. It started as a red spot, then an itchy red spot, and then a very itchy red spot with an angry red ring around it. I could go into details but it's probably best I didn't =p Basically, it was blistering and my skin kept boiling even with the ice pack on =/ Luckily, one of my coworkers had an aloe bush at home and she gave me some to use. I applied the gel topically onto my skin everyday and the scar got lighter and lighter. I was then on a search for real aloe without having a bush. I don't have a garden since I live in an apartment and I know many people can relate :)

Aloe Life Skin Gel from Whole Foods $9.99/4oz


I'm not a huge fan of the packaging because the aloe can dry up and get stuck in the crevices of the cap.


Inside of it... total darkness, I know! o_o It's unscented if you're wondering. There is still a smell, but there aren't any added smells.



It's a gel, and there aren't any chunks of aloe in it so it's easy to spread onto skin and tries relatively quickly. The one thing about aloe is that it will dry out your skin since it promotes healing by shedding off layers of old skin. Do I make sense? =p



Here's my skin now. I don't have any pics of the before but it was reaaally bad. This is after 2 months and I'm using the aloe gel every couple of days.

The ingredients: 99% Certified Organic Whole Leaf ALoe Vera Juice Concentrate #5-215-365 TDA, Seaweed - thickening agent, Palmitate (Vitamin A), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Azulene (Chamomile Extract), Allantoin (Extract from Comfrey), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate. NO WATER ADDED!


People swear by honey and tumeric, sugar and mayonnaise... ! Do you believe in going natural for your skin? What are your recs? :) 


In other news, I finally got the Dior Amber Diamond highlighter!!! :) I bought it on a blog sale and will def show pics of it in my next post! :)












22 comments:

Mandy said...

I used to have an aloe plant! I should get one again. They really are amazing for burns and healing!

Kalmo said...

Thanks for the review! Sorry about the bad burn but luckily aloe is working for you. My brother actually used to cut up the aloe plants in the backyard and use it like that haha. I've drank aloe juice (no sugar) before the the skin but never noticed any difference. I wonder if aloe is pore clogging? Would be a nice mask for acne scars

Ashley said...

Ouuch, I hate burning myself when cooking.
I have an aloe plant sitting in the kitchen for emergencies like when I got stung on the face by a bee D:
It's really soothing but I wish I could put the aloe plant in the fridge for extra cool properties LOL!

Anonymous said...

I love Aloe for it cooling properties =)

I really like the idea of natural products on skin but I haven't found anything worth recommending yet =\

Makeup and Mutts said...

I'll have to get some aloe! I think natural is definitely better for your skin. :)

jane said...

I used aloe in middle school to make my acne go away :) it really worked. Honey works wonders too! and lemons. lemons AND honey = perfect facial mask that's all natural :) great post & I hope the burn goes awayyy~

Aya said...

Nice. I have this angry scar that I just want gone. Hope I can find something similar to this here :)

Amy said...

I've heard the miracles of aloe for the skin and it does seem to hold true. I'm glad that it worked out for you. :)
I think going natural for skincare is pretty important. Since skin is very sensitive, sometimes more natural products work better over time.

mandy said...

Unfortunately I didn't know about aloe when I burned my fingers touching the toaster (inside :X) Ahh great to know for future accidents! :P

Amy said...

I love to use Aloe vera (I use the one from Nature Republic it's 97%) as a moisturizer in general, but I didn't know that it had abilities to lighten the scars and stuff. Thanks for sharing, going to Whole Foods tomorrow to get this one. Hope your wrist gets better! x

hevn said...

I love aloe vera, they really works wonders. I previously used Fruits of The Earth after having a very bad sunburn and it really helped. I stored it in the fridge and it was so cooling. Thinking back, wonder why I didn't use the Aloe Vera plant from the garden. Stupid me.

Hope the burn won't leave any scars, can't wait to see the Dior Amber Diamond highlighter! :D

Pammy said...

Aloe really works. I have an aloe vera gel that I apply on my skin whenever I get skin asthma and allergies. :)

ShinyPrettyThings said...

i love aloe!! i used to get sunburnt and using an aloe branch helped soo much! but it got kind of messy. thanks for recommending this! don't need to go to my backyard to cut some off anymore LOL

Anonymous said...

Aloe vera is a lifesaver -- I can't go without it after tanning! That's a pretty big burn there :/ Hope it heals.

I like the sound and idea of natural products but don't them as effective as the trusty chemical laden stuff :P

Gloria said...

I always wondered how 'pure' those clear aloe gels were. It says no alcohol, but everytime I put it on my skin it burns a bit

The Procrastinator said...

I just used an aloe plant to treat my recent sunburn (As seen here http://bit.ly/pkrHEu ) so this is nice that it's not chunky! I ended up squishing up all the aloe inside the leaf before applying it.

Maggie said...

I love aloe! Whether it be the drink, plant, lotions, gels, etc., aloe is a life saver! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great review! I love aloe vera for it's cooling properties. I think this moisturizer would feel great during the summer season. If you say that your burn was a lot worse before you started using the product, that's really amazing how much it has improved the discoloration. I recently burned my wrist while cooking too, so I am hoping it doesn't scar. If it does, I might have to go and run out for one of these aloe gels.

Anonymous said...

this sounds truly amazing! I think aloe vera is god sent for all skin disorders :)

Cominica said...

aloe vera is amazing! :D
I use that too for healing my face, love it :)

Unknown said...

This is awesome. I have heard a lot about aloe for acne scarring. I want to try it out :D

Steph said...

OUCH.. sounds painful...
but if it was as bad as you say, after 2 months of the gel ... it's looking good =]