Friday, June 3, 2011

Something about Sunscreens & Sun Protection

Hi everyone! Happy Friday! I can't believe half the year has flown by already. I was going to go kayaking this weekend but the weather's kinda iffy and rainy o_o

So... sunscreens! Yes. This post will be dedicated to sun protection since the warm weather is rolling around and adequate protection is key to keeping your skin from aging too quickly. Here's 5 of the ones I currently have on rotation depending on the weather.



Neutrogena Healthy Defense spf 50 - This moisturizer/sunscreen duo is an easy find anywhere, in store and online. I got this at Target and have gone through multiple bottles of it. It's a lightweight sunscreen designed to be light enough so you can still wear makeup over it. The good thing about this sunscreen is that it sinks into skin fairly quickly and feels invisible. It has a smell of a floral bouquet and may be kind of strong smelling. Remember to shake it well. There is a little ball inside that makes a sound when you shake so you know that it's mixing up the liquid well.


Cancer Council sunscreen spf 30 - One of the best moisturizers ever! If you like the feel of Eucerin or Aveeno's sunscreens (spf 15 or higher), this is nearly identical in texture. This is an Australian brand that I was really lucky to try because I won it in a giveaway :) Since I started using it, it is the perfect morning time moisturizer that is also cooling (aloe vera is one of the ingredients) and light. The texture is less watery and absorbs into skin much more faster than the Neutrogena one. I wish it was more readily available in the US. It's a wonderful sunscreen.

Garnier UV Protect spf 50 - I bought this sunscreen on a blogsale originally to try it. It's my first Asian drugstore sunscreen and i was hearing pretty awesome raves about it. This one is a little different because it's also a color correction. The one i have is purple which is supposed to fix sallow looking skin. One of the best multitasking products are color correctors in sunscreens. When I use this, it gives my face a little more color which I need always :) This moisturizer is on the thick side, perfect for cooler weather because it helps your skin retain the moisture that it loses when it's chilly out. I really like it and I'm looking to try more Asian drugstore sunscreens. I know there's a ton out there =p


Here are two of my Shiseido sunscreens - one for face & body and the other one strictly for the face. The PA sign is additional protection from your skin getting dark. UVA/UVB protects against sun damage, but the PA is protection against UV rays that cause darkening of the skin. The + signs are the level of protection (the higher the better).

Face & Body spf 60 PA+++ - This one has a very nice texture, a lot like the Neutrogena one. It's very liquidy. If i lay it down uncapped, the lotion runs out of the bottle. It's also meant for the body too, but I only use it for the face because it only has 3.3oz of product and is kind of expensive ($30+) so I want to make it last as long as I can ;) It has the usual Shiseido sunscreen smell which is quite strong (floral spa-ish, daisy, hard to explain). Absorbs into skin very well and very moisturizing. It feels light and airy and is a definite luxury on the skin (for me at least!)

Facial sunscreen spf 55 PA+++ - This sunscreen keeps your face matte and is thick and goopy. Very similar to the Garnier one. I use this also on days when it's cooler simply because of its thickness. I don't necessarily prefer this sunscreen all the time because it's hard to wear makeup under but it gives that ultimate protection I think all the other sunscreens lack. It keeps my skin looking even and non oily for a good 4-5 hrs. The smell is quite strong and kind of lingers. Both Shiseido's are like this unfortunately.

I've tried many sunscreens in my lifetime and I believe some of the best are at your local drugstores. I really like the Neutrogena ones and the Cancer Council one. Shiseido is more of a splurge for me but not a must. I like any lightweight sunscreens that absorb easily so you can get on with your day.

What are your favorite sunscreens? :)


39 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Garnier one sounds really good! I wish it was here. I've never tried Shiseido sunscreen and always wondered about them-not sure if I could stand the smell so thanks! I usually get Neutrogena all the time.

mandy said...

I have the strictly for face shiseido one! I've been using it since last summer. But it's running out soon :D Can't wait to try lighter sunscreens. I wonder if any physical sunscreens come not in the thick texture =\ I'm weary of using chemical sunscreens but I hear they aren't too bad..
Do you have a preference between physical and chemical ones?
I wish western brands would make tinted/correcting sunscreens as well! (I hope it doesn't take away any of the sunscreen effectiveness like how you have to use layers of cosmetics to reach the stated spf level).

mimi said...

I never knew that the PA meant that the sunblock blocked you from getting darker until my friend told me recently!~ I've tried neutrogena's popular face sunscreen, i forgot what it was called >< but it was oily ): good to hear that the shakey sunscreen soaks into your skin well (: maybe I will try that! For now, I use BB Cream with SPF and PA++

Anonymous said...

I've tried the Shiseido face & body before when I played sports. (: I like how it doesn't leave a greasy feel & definitely isn't heavy at all. But I agree, it has that stronggg floral scent. Kinda hurts my nose. :(

Mandy said...

How do these look when you are wearing them and are photographed? Are there any that photograph "better" than the others? I need a good facial sunscreen!

Makeup and Mutts said...

I've heard goos things about Shiseido!

Aya said...

I neeeeeed to get myself a sunscreen now. It's so hot here in my country :/

Anonymous said...

so far 50 is my highest number but i prefer to wear hats and use a parasol otherwise... but anyway great comparison!

ryc - yeah i sprayed / set it with the body shop vitamin E spray and it always adds dewiness to my face for some reason lol

Unknown said...

Great post! I actually really like the Shiseido one designed for only the face. I normally apply a small amount and let it sink in for a few minutes before applying makeup and it works pretty well for me :)

sugar sugar said...

sunplay has the highest spf i've ever seen on a sunscreen which is SPF 130 PA+++ but it flakes!!! :( i like l'oreal's sunscreen, kiehl's and the one my mom's dermatologist makes since it has collagen LOL! =)

PinkOrchids said...

Thanks soooo much for this, I really needed this!! I heard Shesiedo is great, but I'll trust what you say and go for a drugstore first and see, Garnier sounds promising!

jane said...

I used to loveeeeee the Shiseido one just half a year ago but I started breaking out because of it :( lol. I use clinique's city block spf 40. It's not great but it doesn't make me break out. Have you ever tried it? :o

Unknown said...

Mandy - I don't really have a preference for chemical or natural sunscreens although I would think it's safer and potentially better for your skin than chemically made ones. You have me at an indecision! Must do research! ;)

Sugar - Omg, SPF 130?!?! That's crazy insane!!! LOL I think I did read about one. Did you review it? I may have seen it on your blog! :p

Jane - Yes, I've tried Clinique's city block! That one unfortunately broke me out! What an opposite reaction from you :P

Huda said...

Hehe, great post, girl! I can hardly believe half of the year is done already either! It's crazy...

Anyways, this was such an informative post. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to keep an eye out for the Neutrogena Healthy Defense. It sounds great, and just what I need :) Thanks for sharing!

http://lebanesebeauty21.blogspot.com/

ShinyPrettyThings said...

oh yay sunscreen reviews!! I had no idea Neutrogena had a liquid sunscreen. I gotta go check it out. I really prefer the liquid kind bc the thicker cream types just feel so heavy especially since i use bb cream or foundations over it. thanks for the recommendations!! =D

Lady Sakura said...

I really wanna try the shisedo ones. I've heard so many good things about them. Thanks for your review and thanks for dropping by my blog. :)

Summer said...

This is such a great post, especially with the summer coming soon and the sun being sooo hot! I really like the products you picked out and your review really helped, so thanks a lot! <3 :)

http://thedollhousediary.blogspot.com/

Anna said...

neutrogena have a new one with spf 50 i heard! oo i used to like that garnier coz its tinted hehe currently im using orbis spf35

xoxo elle

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reviews. I've been trying various neutrogena ones but not the liquid defense. I'll def. Go get it now. And yes, San Jose weather has been really bipolar this year.

Bijin Blair said...

Lightweight sunscreens are a must! I use Biore and b.liv. Both of them are great at keeping my face oil free; Biore has high SPF whereas b.liv has hydrating properties.

Paris B said...

Sunscreen! A subject after my own heart :D Would you believe I've never tried the Garnier one although we have it in abundance here? It sounds lovely actually (and its quite cheap) so I'll bear it in mind next time I'm out and about. Also, I like Cancer Council sunscreens too! They are so good and affordable but sadly for me, I have to "import" it from Australia :D

sugarbumpkin said...

Oh sunscreen. It's about that time again. ALthough it's been raining for the past week in northern California so I haven't pulled my sunscreen back outyet (although I know I should be using it everyday ><.

Anonymous said...

For me, a sunscreen is a must because I have skin that is prone to freckles :/ My favourite sunscreen has been Shiseido's one :D

??? said...

we dont spf60 here in canada from shiseido~~~but i luv luv the spf50 one~~~thats my facorite sunscreen~~~


jessy

Christina said...

I'm actually using Clarins right now and so far it's working great!

Ps. YAY FOR BAY AREA!! I actually just moved to NYC but I miss CA so much!

-Christina
itschristinaly.com

Karen Law said...

Thanks so much for saying hi on my blog - I really appreciate it ;)
Oh I didn't pay attention at all to any PA ratings and didn't know it had to do with protection against rays which darken the skin. I do have sunscreen around but I honestly don't like to apply it because it does leave a bit of that oily texture residue - even the sheer ones from Neutrogena although I agree those are the best ones I have tried. I have a Neutrogena one, an Olay one for the face and a recent organic one from Absolutely Natural.
Great review here!

ndoodles said...

Hi! Thanks for commenting in my post. I like my mom's Shiseido sunscreen! It is good stuff. Although in my professor has said something about SPF and how above a certain number (I want to say 50 or 60), they are all the same or something. I didn't understand that concept very well but something I always remembered.

Unknown said...

I've gone through bottles and bottles of Neutrogena sunscreens. They are so awesome :)

Ling said...

Wow what a post! Jam packed full of info! LIKE!!!
Sunscreen is the bomb! I dont want wrinkles!

Karishma said...

great blog sweets. love your blog name too..
even i have recently done a sunscreen post.

happy blogging!!

Unknown said...

Oh really? I've seen that one before, but I haven't been able to find it recently. Is it a pretty color?

serenadeveryday said...

{*Oh WOW!} so many sunscreens and so many reviews! This is an awesome post. No wonder you have such nice skin. You use sunscreen everyday! I agree with you that lightweight sunscreens are the best.

<3 S.

Mai said...

Thank you for such a lovely comment ! Those are actually my first time using any type of contact lenses, so it took me quite a while to put them in haha
I've never seen that type of Neutrogena sunscreen but it looks really nice, especially for oily skin people like me. I might try it out this summer !

Angie | Pandaphilia.com said...

i use neutrogena too! they're kind of oily and thick though, especially with increasing spf. i've always wanted to try shiseido mainly because of the pretty packaging xD

Dana Yoshimizu said...

Too bad the Cancer Council sunscreen is an Australian brand, it seems like something I'd try. And I use the Neutrogena one, not quite as often as I should though ! oops!

Catherine Au Jong said...

helpful tips:))

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing! very helpful! do you have any suggestions on organic/all natural kinds? i have very sensitive skin :(

- aimee
my diy blog: swellmayde.com

Unknown said...

Swellmayde: Have you tried Alba Organics? They have all natural sunscreens that go up to spf 30 which is perfect for daily use. I've tried Burt's Bees as well, but it's quite tacky and thick :p

Frances said...

lol I don't have a favorite sunscreen, I just wear moisturizers that contain SPF XD but I do have the Shiseido face and body one and I think it works great on body! Didn't like to wear it on my face, feels heavy :T