Saturday, April 2, 2011

Current Skincare Routine + Reviews

Hey everyone! How's your Saturday? I'm at home and blogging... says a lot about me huh? I can be the total homebody. Anyway, a few people asked me about my skincare routine and I was contemplating that I should blog about it someday. That someday is today, I guess! I was really flattered anyone would be curious to what I'm using because.... just cause ^^

I use a lot of things from a lot of different brands. I tend not to stick to a skincare set because I'm afraid I won't like it or that my skin will become so used to it that the product won't be as effective. I don't have a rational reason for it. I suppose I'm being paranoid.

So here it is, in all its wordy goodness.

Morning Routine
Lady and Skin Absolute White Cleansing Foam
Guinot Refreshing Toning Lotion
Shiseido Eyecream
Blu Shu Anti Aging Emulsion (VOV Skincare)
Sunscreen

Lady & Skin Absolute White Cleanser 
I made a post about this a few months ago and I asked if anyone knew where to find this brand! Many of you replied and said to look for it online at Korean sites such as Gmarket. Otherwise, there isn't much about this brand online. A lot of others also said it's one of those brands just very exclusive to Korea o_o My mom's friend gave it to her and she gave it to me so that's how I got a hold of it :) I own their BB cream, face powder, and lip jelly. I'll be doing a review of it eventually. As for the cleanser, it's really great. I used to use the Shiseido White Lucent cleanser and it is totally comparable although the Shiseido one is more drying. A lot more drying. This one creates a rich lather with just teensy amount. I'm talking the size of your pinky nail! And it doesn't make my face feel dry and tight or anything, just really refreshed and clean. I am in love with this cleanser... but I haven't explored Gmarket yet. I will need to find a backup because I love it so much! It has a light ginseng smell, which I personally love because I do like ginseng and herby smells. Some people absolutely despise it so the scent can be bothersome. Definitely HG status for me.


Please translate! :p Are these directions?


Back or side of box :)


Guinot Toning Lotion
I've been using this to put the moisture back into my face after cleansing. I'm not sure if it does anything special but it has a very pleasant rose smell. It's the richest toner/lotion I have ever used, ever! I sometimes use a cotton pad to put it on or I just pour some in my palm and pat (more like slapping) it into my face. It calms my redness in the morning. Have you used this or are you familiar with this brand? I've never heard of Guinot before!



Dr. Lewinn by Kinerase Daily Treatment Serum
I just started using this about two weeks ago because I've never used a serum in my life! I read so much about how serums are jam packed with antioxidants and how they make your other creams more absorbent so I had to get one. It claims to have a high potency of hydraulic acid which nourishes and repairs the skin.

It's a really nice treatment but I can't compare it to others since this is my first serum. I love the light lemon scent so much! I just squeeze two drops into my fingers and massage it into my face. It kind of has that oil-like consistency which i love because it feels very moisturizing to my skin. After about 1-2 mins, you can start using your day/night creams over it. It may be too early to tell but I feel it does a really good job at absorbing any follow up products.

I picked this up at Walgreens for around $10ish (1 oz). It was on major sale! You can find it on Walgreens online but it's a bit more. They are from the creators of Kinerase Skincare that is sold at Sephoras and other high end retailers.






Shiseido Bio Performance Eye Cream 
I have a bunch of sample sizes like this. I haven't really invested in a staple eye cream yet because my samples will probably last me awhile. I don't see anything spectacular about this eye cream. It's not as hydrating as I'd like it to be, but it's very smoothing and soft feeling. I do like the texture... a very lightweight cream.






VOV Skincare - Blu Shu Anti Aging Emulsion
I posted about this when I first bought it at the Korean market. I was walking around the skincare area where they have tons of amazing, expensive skincare when a sales lady approached me and started chatting about the importance of keeping my skin youthful and young... blah blah blah. She convinced me to get this and I caved because she said a lot of people in Korea use this brand. Came home and Googled it and couldn't find any reviews whatsoever! I still used it and very recently I discovered it came from VOV Skincare from the bottle of the jar. I don't know what VOV skincare at all, but I guess it's kind of like a parent company to many brands.

This is an emulsion, so it's kind of like a toning lotion plus lotion in it. It's quite luquidy, more so than your regular moisturizer but it absorbs really fast into my skin (probably b/c of the serum!) and has a really pleasant Asian skincare scent. I can't say if it's anti aging or not but anything that keeps you hydrated doesn't promote aging, right? :) If anyone knows more about VOV and what other brands they carry, do share! :)



Sunscreens: Garnier UV Protect, Neutrogena Healthy Defense Liquid Sunscreen, Shiseido Face Sunscreen
No, I do not use them all at the same time! I just alternate between the 3 of them since I get bored with using just one. The Shiseido one is the one I only use on super sunny days because it's SO thick. It goes on matte but it's a heavy duty sunscreen. The Garnier one is pretty heavy duty as well, but it's lighter than Shiseido. My favorite one of the 3 is the Neutrogena one. I've gone through a few bottles of this already :) It's a super lightweight sunscreen and feels really nice on my skin. There is an ultra sheer version and a healthy defense version. I've used both but I think I prefer the other one because it's even more lightweight. I bought this one not thinking they had another one, but I still like it :)


Nighttime Routine
Lady and Skin Absolute White Cleansing Foam
Guinot Refreshing Toning Lotion
Dr. Lewinn by Kinerase Daily Treatment Serum 
Shiseido Eyecream
Laniege White Plus Renew Night Cream
or
Skincare Cosmetics Retinol Skin Brightner moisturizer

Laneige White Plus Renew Night Cream
I started using this a few weeks ago and I love everything about it! The pretty scent, the cooling feeling and the yogurt-like texture of the this night cream. It's extremely hydrating. I plan on doing a full review when I'm almost done with it. As far as night creams go, I'm pretty happy with this one at the moment :) I'd love to know what you think of it if you've tried it!

Retinol Skin Brightner
I've read in countless magazines that retinol is very important in skincare because of the anti aging properties. Your skin's outer layer will become thinner to promote skin turnover and thus, new skin!  I quite like this one because it's like a lotion/emulsion and moisturizes effervescently. The one thing I don't like is the old lady smell which is a bit strong... hard to explain. I'll have to sniff it again but I really don't want to! o_o It is supposed to lighten discoloration and fade blotchy spots away. It hasn't done anything noticeable except keeping my skin from dehydrating. This is pure retinol in the form of Vitamin A.  This is non prescription, and has 200,000 ICU of Vitamin A. You can see more reviews from Amazon.com, where they sell it. It's really inexpensive, I bought mine for $12ish. Although, I'm not sure I'd repurchase because of the weird smell.


Weekly/Occasional 
Sana Nameraka Cream - Read my review here.
Laniege Water Sleeping Pack - Read my review here

Whew! That was extremely wordy. As always, let me know what you think! Or do a skincare routine on your blog. I'd love to read what others do for skincare! :)

Are you the type that uses the whole skincare kit from one line or do you use different brands like myself?

38 comments:

tiffyama said...

Seems like you have quite a selection of Korean skincare products~ I always am too intimidated to buy them from the markets/malls..heh.

I'm interested in the serum though. I've never actually tried a serum either, but I assume it'd be pretty beneficial for me since I have some dry patches. One day I'll have to try it out~

Anonymous said...

I have tried the SPF 32 for Shiseido but I haven't tried the SPF 55. I dont like sunscreen that is too thick!

Thanks for sharing your skincare routine :)

sugar sugar said...

you have a great skincare routine. thank you for the product reviews! :)

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

while using retinol/vitamin products at night, it is still imperative to use sunscreen with uva/uvb broad spectrum in the mornin'~!

/ xw said...

I agree w/ you about the Shiseido White Lucent making your skin dry. I'm currently using it right now and want to switch, but don't know what to try next! I've tried L'Occitane and Boscia, but don't care for them.

Anyways, pretty extensive skin care routine - guess that's why your skin looks sooo good.

Makeup and Mutts said...

Great routine, I use different brands. :)

.blushfully. said...

Wow what a thorough skincare blogpost! Thanks for sharing! I see you enjoy using the korean skincare products ;) though unfortunately, the masks and korean products I've tried so far are too sticky for me, somehow...

I also tend to switch up my skincare products and don't stick with 1 product for too long though there are exception for those that are really that good =) until they reformulated the product or something .. hahaha so yeah, I started with using a whole skincare kit but now I use different brands depending on skin conditions and season too ;)

.blushfully. said...

btw, i just tagged you in my latest blog post
http://blushfully.blogspot.com/

Leenda said...

Nice! I love reading about skincare! Looking forward to the laniege review! I was looking into trying some laniege products, but just wasn't sure what to try. I need a new night cream so...

Stephanie said...

So many skincare products! :) I hope you have a great weekend!

Catherine said...

Thanks for sharing your routine. =) I always love seeing what other people use.

Just fyi though, there are several different forms/derivatives of Vitamin A which are good for anti-aging and anti-acne effects. Retinyl palmitate (this is the most basic vitamin A and is often listed as vitamin A in the description of a product), retinol and tretinoin (Retin-A) are all topicals, in order of strength, and the strongest, oral form is isotretinoin, more commonly called Accutane. Tretinoin and isotretinoin are by prescription only, so retinol is the strongest form of vitamin A you can buy over the counter.

They all work essentially the same way - it stimulates division of your skin cells so that the layers of your skin are thinner and shed faster, and also shrinks the sebaceous glands to decrease oil production.

Thus, it's very important to wear sunblock during the day while using retinol (either at night or during the day or whenever) because using retinol thins your skin and makes you more prone to sun damage and hyperpigmentation.

It's not bad to wear a retinol product during the day, just pointless because retinol is degraded by sunlight. It's not reactive or anything and doesn't further cause skin damage upon exposure to light. It's that your skin is thinner by using it.

HTH =)

Crystal said...

vov skincare? That sounds really interesting, I know they have really nice makeup^0^~

Tracy D said...

So interesting to read about people's skin care routine, even with some brands I can't get in Canada...great post!

Unknown said...

Catherine: Thanks for the info!! It's REALLY helpful to know! You sure know a lot about it :D

Skyla Arts: Good to know! :) Thanks!!

cocoabee said...

wow i haven't tried any of these products! i have the neutrogena spf 85 ultra sheer sunblock and i think i'll stick to it. i heard that you don't need a sunscreen over spf 45 and that wearing one with really high spf does more harm than good because of the active ingredients. blah i'm still confused about sunscreen!

herroyalbleakness said...

I use stuff from diff brands, too! :) Inasmuch as I'd like to stick to just one specific line, i feel too caged and miss out on the other good stuff if i do so :)

OOOOOhhhh, thank you for spending time listing the stuff you use! Such a helpful post. I'm eager to read your full take on the Laneige night cream :) i wish we had all those brands in Philippine counters :( We do have VOV but i havent seen the Blueshu around. Perhaps i missed it... will look for this. do you highly recommend it?

Anna said...

great reviews, thanks for sharing !

Lisa said...

thanks so much for sharing your skincare routine.. i'm always at a loss for skincare stuff.. i just do the basics.. but i'm starting to feel my age.. and it's showing on my skin but everytime i go to the department store or drugstore i feel so lost and don't know where to begin and then i give up... hahahah.. i'm going to try out some of the things you use :)

ANNIE said...

first time visiting here, your blog is lovely =)

I recently wrote about my skincare routine as well... but the products you're using are so much more interesting!

Julie said...

Wow, great reviews! Those products look amazing!

Julie @ Mint & Mellow (Enter my giveaway!)

Cominica said...

Helpful review, i want to try laneige product too :)

1st visit here~

Anonymous said...

Nice routine, it sounds efficient! I'm looking to use more serums too - especially for anti aging.

o0SerenityAngel0o said...

your skin routine sounds great thanks for the review on these products :)

Hello Naka said...

ur skin routine sounds time consuming but i bet its worth it for the great skin! and i want to try a serum ^^

also wow running 2-3miles every other day is alot!

The Empire of Success said...

beautiful photos! :) If you want I suggest you go to see some of my Gucci! and maybe you could tell me which you prefer! maybe you could become my followers if you want it. :)

http://theempireofsuccess.blogspot.com/

Mana said...

Thanks for listing out your routine! Im definitely interested in the laneige eye cream! I also love currants!! My fav is a currant candy that I've been eating ever since my childhood days, yum!

Gizelle Faye | Vanilla Ice Cream said...

i definitely need to find a good sunblock for my sensitive skin...the drive to work is insane..it's really scorching hot!

ps. great review, as always. i can always trust your blog for product review...<3

♥ vanilla ice cream ♥
www.shopyapi.com

Lini Trinh said...

i do to try some of those product <3 it sounds very interesting :)

Elaine said...

I use the same sunscreen! and I love it!

Unknown said...

what an informative post!! a great reminder to me that i should really put on some damn sunscreen!! if i don't start now, i know i'll regret it later i know =_=

Eva said...

the shiseido sunscreen is amazing! haha my skincare regime is getting more and more complicated as i get older -_-

KC said...

I need to try that Shiseido with SPF :) Thanks for sharing! <3

Barbara von Enger said...

What a delailed skin care regime. I enjoyed this review. Have a nice weekend;-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! I love the Shiseido sunscreen too - been using it for years. I use the Laneige night cream too but it's just so-so for me; it's hydrating, but I don't particularly love it or hate it :P

cocoabee said...

i heard about how they put plastic in milk so that it would make it look like there was more protein in the nutritional tests. unbelievable! milk in asia tastes weird too, its crazy how they don't need refrigerate it.

Kalmo said...

Wow awesome blog! Thanks for visiting mine. You do so many nice reviews, thanks for sharing everything about your skincare routine. Does the Neutrogena sunscreen go on pretty matte? Thanks!

Yin said...

I only know VOV on the makeup side, they own castle dew or something. :D

You've got a skincare routine going there. :D

Label me Addict said...

AWESOME blog i use clinique spf 50 and chanel for chanel... very imfort !!! i havent tried the brands ur using should try