Sunday, February 6, 2011

Review: Tarte Dark Circle Defense Concealer + others

Happy Sunday everyone! :)

I want to thank you all for the lovely comments on my last hair post! Many of you were not sure where to go get it done, or if your area has it. Just to clarify, the salon does not have to be a specialty salon where they only do hair straightening. Many licensed Asian salons have stylists who are trained in hair straightening techniques. There are a variety of them: Japanese, Brazilian, hair relaxation... etc. Be sure to specify which technique you'd like. I've done them all.. Japanese, Yuko, relaxation.. LOL Yuko is another Japanese hair straightening that is good on "virgin" hair (ie never dyed your hair, never straightened, etc). It is more gentler, but I can't really remember the experience because I first did that when I was 18 or 19. I remember the cost was over $500 for shoulder length hair. Really expensive!! Regular Japanese hair straightening costs upwards of $150-500 depending on the salon. Mine was really good at around $180 before tip. Relaxation (or getting your hair relaxed) is a method that is popular amongst African American hair. In contrast to Japanese hair straightening, it is a temporary fix and I believe they use stronger chemicals, which isn't necessarily good. My experience with that method had been horrendous. My hair was fried! Never try it unless you are African American!! Really. It's not made for Asian hair!

My hair thus far (an entire week) has been healthier than it's ever been. It is softer, easy to manage and I have a more pleasant shower experience b/c my hair is now easier to wash :) YAY!

Now I want to talk about a concealer that is really catered to dark circles. I have been using this concealer for about 2 weeks now. I bought it because I am a concealer hoarder and can't get enough of them. There really is a difference between a concealer, an eye concealer, and brighteners.


This is the Tarte Dark Circle Defense (find it here) concealer in light to medium. The salmon colored shade really counteracts any darkness and blends really well with your natural skin color. I've never been happier with any other concealer, truthfully. My dark circles on my eyes never go away regardless of how much sleep and fluids I have :(

Ready for the mugshot? =p

Side by side view with the before and "after" of the concealer. My dark bags have diminished significantly.

The awesome thing about this concealer is that you only need very little. Only a brush stroke amount and you're ready to go. After applying it on with the brush, use your ring finger and blend it away. Do you see the consistency? It is like paint! It's extremely creamy, which is a plus in my book. I really like that has hydrating properties. The concealer is quite pigmented, almost foundation like but it can only be used as a concealer. It's a flat salmon shade that counteracts with dark circles. I think this is my HG concealer to date. It has some serious power.




Naturally, Tarte is a great company. I love their products, especially their eyeshadows! They also use good ingredients and formulate without parabens and other yucky things. No animal testing :)


I also want to shed light on 2 mascaras that I've found to be really good. I hated them at one point but I slowly started to like them again!

Maybelline's Pulse Perfection (find it here) - I didn't like it at first because of the obvious: vibration. It's so gimmicky and all sorts of ugh. It wasn't terrible, just okay. But i really started to like it because it separates  my barely-there lashes well.. haha After applying it on, your lashes are still soft! It is a good thing. As with all Maybelline mascaras I've tried, their formula is superb.

After the Maybelline mascara has dried, top it off with the Loreal's Telescopic mascara (find it here).It gives my lashes so much more volume than I care to think for. I really love it! :)



Maybe it's the flexi-wand that i used to despise? I just know that I found a way to use it to my advantage :)


Enjoy what's left of the weekend!!! :)


Disclaimer: All products mentioned were purchased solely by me :)

33 comments:

luckiebeauty said...

The concealer did an amazing job! Great before/after pictures!

SiSi Sparkles said...

wow, thank you for this review. I've been in search of a good concealer! The pictures definitely show it too.

Unknown said...

Wow the coverage is really good! I can barely see your undereye circles in the after photo. I'm a big Tarte fan, so I'll definitely be checking this out. I've used their other concealer (the one in a click pen) but it was kinda bleh.

Maggie said...

The concealer looks amazing! I'm starting to get dark circles so do you have any other concealer suggestions? Preferably cheaper ones? Hehe :P

TINA said...

This looks pretty good, covers well! Great review.

Lilladylife said...

i love the comparison photo! super helpful!!

Stephanie C said...

I really like Tarte products and it does such a great job for you! (u look lovely without any makeup as well) =)

The Maybelline mascara is a little gimmicky, but it does separate it lashes wonderfully.

Boxed Up Beauty said...

wow! the concealer looks great! def. need to try that one out! Tarte is a good company!

Mary
(come by: we are having a giveaway on our blog)

http://boxedupbeauty.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

That's a cool concealer. I'll have to check that one out! anything that helps conceal those bags,is good in my book! thanks for sharing

Mary

Pammy said...

Seems like a very promising concealer. I like the before and after shots and saw the difference. :)

Isabel said...

That is so odd... Relaxation here is a milder version of rebonding. I had my hair 'soft rebonded' which is not as strong and flat as normal rebonding and I love it.

And that undereye concealer looks so good! I so need that...

Amy said...

That concealer looks amazing! and I think you explained about straightening techniques very well :) I used to have curly hair like you and went to the salon every 6 months for 7-8 years. Now my hair is (some how) not that curly like it use to be. Weird huh?

Saving Capulet said...

great review, you have such pretty eyes <3

Sushi said...

Oh i wanna try that concealer out..been trying to find the right concealer for under the eyes. Thanks for the review!

Liana said...

ooh that concealer sounds great! i am always on the lookout for new concealers bc i have really dark circles too
thanks for sharing! and thanks for the comments on my blog! :)

Fashion Bag 411

Mindy♥ said...

I absolutely am a concealer addict!! ^o^ Tarte is always one of those companies that I'm always curious about, but I don't own anything from Tarte. The under eye concealer seems to work amazingly!!!!!! :)

Angelique said...

OOhh a new concealer to check out! Thanks for sharing :D It looks like it has potential

Elizabeth Chang (Skyla Arts) said...

I'd still love to know which salon you went to! :D I've been considering it~ i've been getting lazier so I hope to find a trustworthy place!

Anonymous said...

Im looking for another eye concealer just like Tarte's!! Thanks for thie review, the colour and texture looks really good!

Vinda Sonata said...

nice review. the concealer must be really great. because the effect is really amazing.
thanks for the reference on the mascara too. i've been looking for a perfect one, and this one, i think, will do. thanks !

Kaleido Mind said...

have you used bobbi brown corrector? (just trying to see how this one compares...:D)

sugar sugar said...

This seems like an awesome product! Thanks for the review! :)

I have heard a lot of rants about the maybelline's pulse perfection mascara. :/ the stileto one is really good though. i just picked it up last week and so far it really does lengthen my sparse and barely there lashes. :3

Anonymous said...

Oooh I'm going to have to come back to read your post.

Thanks for your caring words, they made me feel much better. Sometimes I just wonder when that guy will come haha, but I know I should just let life do it's thing. Thank you again for sharing your story, I'm glad to know someone who can relate =)

Madeline Weber said...

wow that concealer is amazing! all these products look great

following, follow me back if you like my blog?
x http://madelineweber.blogspot.com/

Frances said...

Hi there! JpMon charges about $8 for shipping to US but it really depends on how many things you buy, but it's around that price. :)

The concealer looks so good on you! I'm still hunting for one but I'm not hopeful cuz I have fine lines underneath my eyes that no matter how much water I drink/what eye creams I use they're still there >< but I will look out for this next time I'm at Sephora hehe

Alexis the Honey B said...

great review! i need to try this asap!! :)

♥Bunny♥ said...

wow~!! The concealer is so good! It covered up so well! I've only tried two concealer in my life, MAC and CanMake!

Tracy D said...

Very interested in that Tarte concealer, thanks for the review..new follower, thanks for stopping by my blog :)

25FLNDN said...

The concealer looks great! I'm always in need of some under eye coverage!

Liesewiesje said...

Hey!

Just wanted to thank you for your comment and visit on my blog, I appreciate that! :)

Have a good weekend in advance!

Anonymous said...

Concealer is absolute MUST for me. If this makes you feel any better, my mug shot is much much worse. Yours isn't really that bad, in fact the before shot of you is my after shot T___T *cries*

Elisa Lee said...

nice review, you can really see the difference at the eye area. Concealer helps ='D

PetiteXXS said...

Thanks for this review! I have horrible undereye circles and haven't found any concealer that I absolutely love yet. Maybe I'll give this a try!