Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy Friday!

Or Saturday. It's technically 18 mins past midnight so I guess it's Saturday :)

I woke up this morning very well rested. I slept @ 2am Thurs night but still woke up around 8am Friday as if I slept for 2 whole days. I guess because it's Friday and it's also the end of the work week and it was WARM. It's always good to choose your outfits the night before so you don't wake up all groggy the next morning trying on everything you have. We had a luncheon at a local Mediterranean restaurant with all the ladies in my department today so I decided to stay neutral and natural in terms of makeup. I normally don't go crazy or anything. I just didn't use dark toned colors today :)


These were taken early in the morning so the lighting is a lot better. I wore a bright yellow top with a blue with white polka dotted high wasted skirt. I have it in the laundry pile now but I will take pics of it next time. It's one of my favorite and I try to wash it as little as possible but it's time to wash it now. I've been sitting everywhere on it!


I received this Estee Lauder eye shadow set as a gift with purchase awhile ago. I hardly ever touch it, but I find that with the right brushes, these shadows go on very beautifully. They are not as pigmented as MAC or Urban Decay, or even NYX shadows.. not even  close, but it's soft and pretty when applied with the right brushes.

I really want to invest in a good set of natural hair brushes. I currently have a mix of natural hairs and synthetic brushes but I feel as though synthetics go on not as naturally as natural  hairs would. They take longer to dry when washed and they just don't feel as soft. I hear a lot of buzz about Sonia Kashuk brushes that they sell  @ Target and Coastal  Scents ones..even Sigma. Ideally, I would like a set of go-to brushes that I can use and use and use and be happy with. I have tried the Eco-tools set, which I find to be better with  liquid makeup since it's synthetic. I'm currently using Kirkland by Borghese ones... but they are synthetic as well. The eyeshadow brushes waste a lot of product by picking up the eyeshadow but doesn't go on evenly on skin. I'll admit that it can  be my wrongdoing, but when i use natural hair brushes, they tend to distribute the colors more evenly on your skin. When you wash them, they become soft like hair! Aye. The best brush that I'm currently using is my blush brush that I bought 5 yrs ago at a BBW store! They used to promote the Awake makeup line from Kose Japan and I bought one of the brushes along with the blush and I still use it today. It was like $12 but what a great investment it was. It's an angled brush perfect for applying blush or highlighting your jaw. So yes, I'm in dire need of new brushes!

What are your favorite brands of eye shadow brushes? Foundation brushes? Please advise!

10 comments:

ectini said...

Hello gorgeous! Thank you for your comment on my sidestories blog : )

Love the look! I wanna see the whole outfit too. Hehe. As for eyeshadow brushes, I use a mixture of Kirkland Borghese brushes, EcoTools brushes, Shu Uemura brushes, and ELF brushes. The ELF eyeshadow brush is one of my favs! I think it picks up color really well and is good for blending. The kirkland brushes work better just for blending for me. I only have brushes from the Shu mini brush set, but they are natural hairs! but I wouldn't say they are any more good than EcoTools, esp. for the price :( For foundation I use brushes from my Kirkland set. I hear that the ELF Studio Powder brush is really good though. I got one for my mom & she really likes it. I sooo wanna try Sonia Kashuk and Sigma brushes too!

Sorry for the long and sort of unhelpful comment, lol XD

Unknown said...

Thanks!! :) Very helpful! It's crazy how much a good brush can make your look more defined :p
I'm def going to try ELF ones.. they aren't too bad price-wise :)

Unknown said...

Did they remake the ELF brushes? I tried them about 2 years back and they were not good T-T; I've tried Ecotools brush too but I ended up giving them to my sister. Right now I'm using a variety of brushes including MAC, Body Shop (really soft <3), Shu Uemura (horse hair :D), and Sephora (not liking the low quality ones, I did try the soft white collection in the store and they seem worth the $$).

I like how you live in the bay area and are all dressed for summer while I live in Los Angeles and am totally not appreciating our 91 degree weather LOL

Penelope said...

Hiya, nice natural makeup!
I've nominated you for an award on my blog!

Mai said...

If you have a Michael's near you, the Loew Cornell Maxine Mop 3/8 brush is identical to Mac's 239 brush and it's made out of goat's hair.

I've also heard that the ELF 1 dollar eyeshadow brush and the ELF studio eyeshadow C brush are good too. The C brush is synthetic but I don't know about the 1 dollar one.

I have heard eh reviews on Sigma, at least regarding their face brushes and loose ferrules so that's kind of iffy.

I do like Sonia Kashuk's eyeshadow brush, the white ones not the black ones though. I believe I have the fluffy eyeshadow brush and the small eyeshadow brush and love them

Unknown said...

EcoTools! But I heard MAC has some really good foundation brushes :) I love the Estee Lauder palette you have, i love earthy toned colours :)

serenadeveryday said...

Picking out your outfit the night before does make a big difference. Do show the complete outfit. =] Sounds really pretty. I love polka-dots.

As for brushes, I just got a brush set from Sigma last week. I don't know what I was expecting but in general they are really soft and I think they are decently priced compared to MAC. I haven't gotten the chance to try out my Sigma brushes yet but when I do I'll let you know what I think of them. I don't really have any other brushes to compare them to though other than my BareMineral brushes. I heard really good reviews about ELF Studio brushes but I've never tried them out. I don't think I was much help, sorry.

Leenda said...

Yes! I always pick out my outfits the night before too. lol Well...for work mostly. I love mediterranean food!

For brushes, I mainly use the white Sonia Kashuk brushes and ELF brushes. I like the regular ELF brushes for the eyes over their studio line brushes. I don't know why...I guess the feel of it and how it picks up the makeup? I had some ELF studio face brushes, but I didn't like them very much because the one I got sheds like crazy. You should try them out! They won't break the bank either. =]

Oh yea! I like the brushes that they sell at CVS too. They work pretty well and the price isn't bad. It's the Essence of Beauty brushes.

Unknown said...

Thank you, ladies! All of your advice helped me in some way. Now I have an idea of what brushes to try :D

Penelope: Thank you for nominating me! I've been seeing those around! So sweet :)

Catherine said...

Cute look & cute top!

My favorite eye brushes for placement are actually the synthetic ones from Everyday Minerals (I have three of the Everyday Shadow Brushes, the Eye Kabuki, amazing for browbone highlight and blending out your edges, and the angled blending brush. For natural hair brushes, I really love the Crown Brushes Italian Badger and Studio lines. I have the angled blender and smudge brush from the IB line and the domed crease brush from the Studio line. I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other, but that the shapes are different and that makes the biggest difference, ykwim? I think Crown has a $20 minimum or something, but their brushes are really nice. I can't really compare them to MAC brushes or Sonia Kashuk, but what I really liked was that I could find brushes that made sense for my lid space. Everytime I look at the MAC or SK brushes I just feel like they're ridiculously big lol. HTH!