Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What's Inside My (travel) Makeup Bag!

Why, hello everyone. I am back from my short Thanksgiving voyage home and am back in the Bay Area. I did a little shopping, ate a ton (as usual), and spent a lot of time with my family. I was pretty worn out from being back home and I'm just really glad to be back! The drastic weather change was a little crazy. It went from super hot in LA to super rainy and cold here.

Since I love looking inside people's makeup bags, I decided I'd include my own. It's just kinda quirky and fun to see what others are bringing. I definitely draw inspiration from that so here's what mine looked like over the weekend.



My kinda old Shiseido makeup bag. Very minimal and simple, easy design, purple. It stores a lot of stuff and is super soft yet surprisingly sturdy.


A few of the items I brought along!


Bare Escentuals Angled Brush - This is one of my favorite blush/bronzer brushes because the bristles are so soft and when I apply blush, it makes it look very soft and blended.

MAC 190 SE Foundation Brush - I really like this for traveling because of its petite, travel-friendly size. I find that this brush blends foundation fairly well and I've been really happy with it for a long time :)

Borghese Angled Liner Brush -  I use this mainly for filling in my eyebrows. Despite its long length, it's still travel-friendly.

Rimmel Glam Eyes Mascara - I wrote a short little review originally here. This has since been discontinued but I like it and I always keep it in my bag.

 Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara- I am very much considering purchasing a full size of this mascara! The formula is seriously superb! I've never had any mascara come close to how great this one is. It lifts my lashes, holds a curl and volumizes quite well. I'm going to have to review this fully in another post but I've been pleasantly surprised with this one. And I love that it's not waterproof =D





These two lip balms are incredible! The Revlon Lip Butter in Lollipop and Loreal's Lip Butter in Satin. I won Satin in a giveaway and have been so happy with it. Both colors are so complimentary and glide on like butter. Lollipop is purely gorgeous. I love the fuchsia/purple tones - beautiful fall color!


Maybelline Dream Matte Powder - Currently my favorite setting powder. It's simple and it works. I don't really have anything negative to say about it because I've been using it for over 5 months now and it's kept its promise.

Loreal True Match Blush in Rosy Outlook - I've loved this line of Loreal's blushes for years and years now. The shades are incredibly flattering and I always come back to this because of how natural of a flush it gives. It's foolproof for me every time.

Loreal Eye Shadow Quad in 821 - Apparently this is the older packaging but I mainly use this to fill in my brows. I use the very last color (darkest one) for my eye brows and the other ones for either highlighting or adding some depth to my lids. I love this quad a lot and the darkest color in the palette is oh so flattering as a brow color!  

Jack Black Lip Balm - As minty as it is, the spf 15 in this balm is really needed in harsh weather! This lip balm in particular is really good quality and permeates into lips once applied and keeps them protected from wind and damage. 


Miniature jewelry cases- Yes, I do carry these! I particularly love the granite one on top. I always try to have something like this when I travel because it a little piece of happiness here and there really makes for an entire trip. It's kind of cool to have it by my bedside where I know my earrings and necklace will be safe.




Oh and we cannot forget portable travel eye shadows! This was a sample that I received from Stila and it's basically a sampling of all their eyeshadows in the 'In the Light' palette. Isn't it genius? Thin as a card but enough eyeshadow to last you days! All you need is an eye shadow brush! My particular favorites here were Luster and Sandstone. Just gorgeous tones!


And....the liquids. I had these in a zip loc baggie since I was flying.


Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Sunblock SPF 55 - I've been using this sunscreen for years! it's so lightweight and perfect under makeup that you can't even feel/tell that you have sunscreen on. It was especially great in the LA heat because it was scorching and sunny there! 

Sephora Makeup Primer - A sample I received from Sephora. I just started using this on my trip home and it didn't really make much of a difference underneath my foundation. 

MUFE HD Foundation 115 - I really like this foundation. I mean, I really really like it. I realize I haven't done a proper review on this. GAH. I really should. I really feel like MUFE makes extraordinary foundations because of the assortment of shades (with proper undertones) and different finishes for every skin type. I really love their F&B foundation. I have reviews on other MUFE foundations if you're interested here


And lastly, the hair and skincare stuff -

Organix Moroccan Argan Oil - I use a little bit of this stuff after I was my hair and it softens my hair and keeps it less frizzier than it usually is. This oil smells nice and the small size is so cute and perfect for travelling. Not to mention that it's really affordable at no more than $5.00 for a 1.7 oz/50ml container to try.

Shiseido Benefiance Set - Shiseido products have always been nurturing for my skin, particularly since LA is dry and hot. I love their lotions - they're incredibly moisturizing and lasts a long time. Consistent products, good company. 



What other "staples" do you gals carry with you? :)






19 comments:

Janet said...

the eyeshadow card sample is super duper nice! this is the 1st time I've seen eyeshadows sample placed in cards, loving it!!~ I've been longing to get a MUFE foundation but I just can't decide which to get if the HD or F&B ....~ Which do you think should I get first? I do prefer a medium to full coverage but still feels light on skin~ 

Amyboo said...

Oooo I like peeking into other's travel bags too. :D 
That Dream Matte powder seems to be everywhere...I'm totally considering buying it once I finish the powder I have now!

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Hi Janet! I really recommend the F&B one because it's so versatile. That's my personal favorite and it seems to be a favorite amongst many foundation lovers ^_^

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

Yay! I'm sure you'll love it!!! ^^

TracyBeautyReflections said...

Those shadow cards are SO COOL! Do they still have them? For the amount of times I wear eyeshadow on holidays they'd be perfect!

Rainy Days & Lattes said...

I got it with the 3 free samples that Sephora has with every order. I always see this type of card for Stila and it wasn't til now that I added one! :p

Elle said...

yeahh I use the Neutrogena sunscreen too!  It's the only 'milky' drugstore sunscreen that is so lightweight, has high SPF, and is actually 'milky.'  After trying milky sunscreens from Japan, I cant go back to the creamy kind :P  Too thick...

Dreamcavern said...

Oh gorgeous! I like your Shisedo makeup bag! The sweetest purple, yet glam with the sequins. All that good stuff inside, your stash of L'oreal really rekindles my hope with L'oreal a little. haha, I am just more Maybelline than L'oreal at the moment. And I wonder why my country doesn't have that Neutrogena Sunblock in that shape and size! I only get the tube ones. These are really down-to-earth neutral and very solid choices. I think they will last well no matter where you travel to!

Kelly C. said...

wow! you really streamline your essentials for travel. I'm totally that girl who totes around half my collection when I'm away! 

Blushfully said...

OMG the shadow cards are genius!! Thank you for sharing with us :) love these posts :)

Beauty&theScientist said...

I love your little jewelry cases, so cute :)

Maggie said...

Love that there's a little bit of everything in here! I really like seeing other people's makeup bags too, haha. Maybe I should do a post myself.

Emma said...

So many brilliant products here, I'm using that Organix hair oil at the moment as well and am really enjoying it, the packaging is lovely (though I think it is much more expensive here)
That Stila sample shadow set is awesome!

Bravoe Runway said...

YOu have so much make-up, and I like that you've tried a lot of drugstore products.  FYI...VIB members got another bonus..$50 purchase gets $20 off...hope you got that.  It started yesterday.

L e n a said...

oh, i love the jewelry cases! so pretty and feminine. ;)
i also enjoy lip butter and colour riche balm together. 

Joyce said...

i love "what's in your bag" type posts :) I ought to do one soon... Anyway, i'm glad you had a good trip! I've always been curious about shiseido skincare too... hmm!

Popblush said...

Travel size eyeshadows seem like an awesome idea!! Sometimes taking the whole palette gets heavy especially if you want to take several shades. 

Love the travel size skincare bottles. I also have the Shiseido Lifting gel thingy that I carry around when I travel interstate/overseas. I love looking through other people's makeup bags too! And I love reading/watching 'What's in my makeup bag' posts/videos. I recently got a new everyday makeup bag (I think I have a problem with buying too many haha). 

sleepandwater said...

omg, that Stila In the Light sample shadow is genius! I would love to try the shades - that palette has been on my wishlist for ages :) I really want to try the L'Oreal balms as well, the packaging is so sophisticated and they seem a bit sheerer than the Revlon Lip Butters. Everyone seems to only have good things to say about the Maybelline powder, I'm definitely looking to buy it after I'm done with my Bourjois Healthy Balance (which probably isn't for a looooong time lol).

rooth said...

I saw those samples from Stila and thought they were pretty darn genius as well :)