Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Review: Shiseido Bio Performance Night Cream

Now that we are in the midst of summer, I strategically finished my Shiseido night cream. I may have tried to drag it out because it was so darn expensive!

Shiseido is a brand that I have always thought of to be advanced skincare because I grew up seeing sophisticated women using the products. It's also no secret that the science behind Shiseido is quite compelling, with research being its utmost priority in their line of skincare.






What it is:  A concentrated cream that hydrates the skin,  combats environmental factors, reduces lines, and wrinkles.

Claims: Reduces wrinkles, hydrates skin, combats environment aggressors, softens skin

Packaging: Round twist cap jar



Texture: The cream is very rich, and is also very thick. It feels tacky on the face as soon as it is applied on. 

Scent: Heavily perfumed. It smells very strong, a heavy type of floral infused something. 

Strengths: The cream works so beautifully and results can be seen the very next day. It hydrates really well overnight and feels supple on the skin. While it's rich and thick, I never once felt that it was too greasy. It sat and absorbed very nicely into skin. 


Weaknesses: The scent of the cream was too strong and I'm not keen on the packaging either. The lid was very small and the jar was kind of short pair- shaped and  had grooves inside which was odd. 


Availability/Price: $98.00 for 50ml (1.7-1.8 oz) - sold at department stores, Sephora ($75.00 for 1.7oz, $95 for 2.6 oz), online. I have seen the same cream at TJ Maxx for $59.99 but that's a rare occurrence. I have also seen them sold at Costco recently for $69.99.

Ingredients:  Water, Glycerin, Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Cetyl Octanoate, Squalane, Dimethicone Copolyol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hydrogenated C6-14 Olefin Polymers, PEG-150, Mortierella Oil, Phytosteryl Macadamiate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Arginine HCI, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium Glutamate, Disodium Adenosine Triphosphate, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Sodium Acetylated Hyaluronate, Rosa Roxburghii Extract, Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Agar, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Trisodium EDTA, Tocopherol, BHT, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Iron Oxides.

Overall: I really like this night cream and it's somewhat of an investment but I think it was worth trying. I do like that it was a rich and concentrated formula for the price and its huge price differences between various retail stores, something isn't right. I don't think that I would repurchase it at the moment because while it delivered really nice results, it wasn't something that I was very wowed over. I have seen and felt similar results with other creams. 

Have you tried this night cream or any of their skincare in the Shiseido line(s)? :)

Disclaimer: The night cream was purchased by me!


13 comments:

Amy said...

Whoa, the pricing for the product is all over the place! It is quite expensive. :( Too bad it doesn't do very much!

herroyalbleakness said...

I currently love Shiseido skincare but feel that its relatively higher price does not justify the so-so effects it gives my skin. I've tried The Skincare and White Lucent lines to date but have not repurchased anything yet (emptied most of the bottles).

Beauty Box said...

Wow I wonder why a high end brand like Shiseido could have such diverse price differentiation in the same country...

I too wouldn't repurchase a cream which is so heavily fragranced...

Unknown said...

i always hesitated to purchase high end skincare because it can be a big waste of money if the product doesnt suit well on my skin. just like make up, i purchased high end of concealer then i found much cheaper one from drugstore that even works better.

anyway, this is great review :)

Anonymous said...

I've always been curious about Shiseido's skin care, especially the whitening line. This sounds really nice!

trishie said...

I don't like creams that are heavily scented either so will probably give this a miss

Popcorn said...

Oh, the scent is too strong? I've never tried Shiseido's creams since it's so expensive. haha

Anonymous said...

I love skincare where I can actually see speedy results! I haven't tried this but seems like something I am looking for my under eye wrinkles. I'm usually okay with scented skincare, but would prefer if they weren't so overbearing.

Jessica said...

i have to use thick creams on my face because it is pretty dry!

-Jessica
http://www.jumpintopuddles.com

cushy said...

i probably won't try due to the heavily fragrance unless i find it at my tjmaxx :P

welldressedmaker said...

I don't use night creams, but I think I should start using them. Thanks for the review on this. I also thought Shiseido was for more mature skin, and I may not get this since I really don't like thicker creams on my face at all.

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
the shop of worldly delights

Indira Cherietmoi said...

Thanks for this post, dear. I never tried Shisheido products before but I love japanese skincare. I've been trying Shu and Kanebo, but ppff why they're soo pricey.. *sigh* perhaps I ask for sample on this one. Seems pretty good nightcream..
xx, Indira from cherietmoi

Rola said...

I have a love hate relationship with Shisedo skincare. I like almost everything except for the Bio Performance eye cream, it stung my eyes and gave me a rash. In terms of Japanese brands, I prefer Kanebo Sensai and SK II.