Thursday, May 3, 2012

Concealers: A Low Maintenance Pick-Me-Up

Concealers are by far, and wide (okay, full circle, who am i kidding), my makeup arsenal of choice. If I had to answer any variation of questions about the one makeup item I'd like to have if I were stuck... outside my apartment building with no way of getting in for an entire night, I would definitely say a concealer. Or rather, concealers ;)

I wanted to share with you guys the six that I have in my collection. They are frequently used,well loved and work for me consistently.


L-R, T-B: Lancome Efacernes, It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye, Maybelline Mineral Power, Tarte Dark Circle Defense, Lancome Photogenic Concealer, Benefit Erase Paste. 

Lightweight and Brightening

Maybelline Mineral Power (find it here)
Price: Between $5-8 for 0.18oz

The Maybelline concealer is my go-to and favorite concealer from the lot. It's inexpensive and brightens the eye area really well. It's quite opaque for a drugstore concealer and the mineral pigments hide brightens your face instantly. The only bad thing is the range of shades but overall I think it's a good concealer to have around! Also very travel friendly with the lip gloss wand :) 
Price: 

Lancome Efacernes Concealer (find it here)
Price: $29.50/0.52oz
This concealer is another staple that I always have with me. I think it's really suitable for any skin type because it's not too wet and not too dry. The texture is light and brightens considerably. I use it under my eye and on any redness around my nose area. I like the fact that it's waterproof as well so it really won't budge unless you take it off. The bad thing about this is the packaging. It gets messy and I'm not a cap person! 
Lancome Photogenic Concealer (MUA)
Price: varies (around $25-$30 because it is discontinued)
Another Lancome concealer! It's pretty efficient and light to the touch. The texture of this concealer is super light and creamy, like a MAC paint pot. It's a nice concealer and the pigmentation is on par but the thing I don't like about it is that it tends to bring out fine lines if you're not careful. The formula is a bit drier than the rest of the concealers I have here. Use sparingly! It creases a bit.


Salmon Colored Corrector Concealers

Benefit Erase Paste (find it here)
Price: $26.00/4.40 grams/0.15oz

I use salmon colored concealers to neutralize really dark circles. I have very thin skin under my eyes so it's really a problem area for me. And it's also hereditary so no matter how much sleep I get my eyes still retain the darkness. This is such a nice concealer! I fell in love with it when I swatched it at Sephora. Perfect for people with oily/combo skin.

Tarte Dark Circle Defence (find it here)
Price: $32.00/2 grams/0.07oz
Tarte's Dark Circle Defense is just like Benefit's Erase Paste but made for dry skin. It's way more moist than Erase Paste but essentially is the same thing. I use both interchangeably depending on how my skin feels that morning. I do like this one a little better though because while it's salmon colored, it's still in the neutral range and doesn't become too pink. They claim to clinically reduce dark circles in 4 weeks' time. Hmm.

Heavy Duty

It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye (find it here
Price: $24.00 for 0.28 fl oz
The most heavy duty concealer I own! I really wanted to show exactly how thick it is. Hopefully you can tell by the swatches ;) It's a very thick, ultra creamy concealer that is opaque enough to hide anything. I use this very sparingly and only in times of high distress when I look absolutely insane. I rarely do use it so this little tube lasts for a long time. The texture is really nice, and the coverage is high. They claim that it contains high concentrations of vitamins K (heals bruising), A, C, E and collagen. 

Phew! That's a lot of concealer talk huh? So that is my little collection. Honestly, the most important is to have one trusty salmon colored concealer, and a neutral one that matches your skin tone. Everything else is just vanity ;) The one I like the most happens to also be the most inexpensive -- Maybelline Mineral Power. 

Do you use concealers? What's your go-to? =D














34 comments:

Unknown said...

Ben Nye and Lancome's texture looks so smooth.

mizzsandychau said...

i use the kat von d tattoo concealer, that was pretty heavy duty too

Amy said...

That It Cosmetics concealer has some crazy coverage going on! Like! :D
Since I use BB Creams, I never really thought about getting a concealer...but it sounds like a better and better idea when I think about the redness on my face recently!
Thanks for sharing this list. :)

Stephanie said...

Thank you for sharing your favourite concealers Jen! I love love the Lancome concealer too!

Joyce said...

My favorite concealer is MAC Pro Longwear, but I wish they would fix the pump or package it in a tube. I was thinking about getting the It Cosmetics concealer after seeing it on QVC 10 million times, but I hate that it's only sold online and not in stores. =( I've also had my eye on the Benefit Erase Paste, but the pot packaging is too unsanitary for me. I am super picky. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to find my holy grail yet. haha..

Sunny said...

I rarely use concealer for my dark circles, because it's not bad in my case and I'll too lazy! Usually I dab an extra thin layer of foundation/BB cream and that's all! If I REALLY want to look good, I have Erase Paste too, but I can't remember the last time I took it out haha

CuteDumpling said...

Great post! :) I use Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer.. ;)

Makeup and Mutts said...

The Maybelliene concealer sounds great! I have the It Cosmetics one, and it's great for my terrible dark circles!

Unknown said...

I'd love to try that Erase Paste from Benefit but my skin can be a little dry under the eyes :(

http://dear-diary.dawnelia.com/

Unknown said...

Actually my fav not is the IT cosmetic one!! I love how little i need to cover all the troubled areas! Its really worth the money and lasts forever =)
The Lancome one looks really good too. I think i'll need to give that a try next time = )

Jen said...

I do and i don't use concealers.. usually i try and make my foundation/bb cream work as a 2 in 1 XD If i have to, i'd use the ones i have in my stash tho i havent found any that work a miracle for me just yet

Joey Anna said...

Oh yes, if I look really tired, I would put on dark circles concealer. I simply use Dr. Jart BB Cream because the coverage is good. Either that, or Garnier Eye Roll-On, that really does brightens up!

Tere said...

I'm under a lot of work related stress lately. I need a crapload of these :)

Anonymous said...

woah thanks for the swatches! I will definitely look into Lancome concealers for under the eyes next time!! My staple is the Bobbi Brown creamy concealer :)

Mandy said...

I had the Maybelline one and loved it! I don't know why I never repurchased, because it is so awesome.

Blush said...

That's a lot of concealers! But I'm not much of a concealer person but I might try the Maybelline one since it's affordable haha! Great review :)

Anonymous said...

i love concealer! i recently started using it (in, like, 09) lol and now i can't stay away. thanks for these suggestions!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been using too much concealer lately, I find myself layering a foundation if I need extra coverage. I have heard good things about the Maybelline Mineral power concealer and it's so inexpensive too. Personally, I like the Bourjois concealer, Bobbi Brown corrector or the Covergirl Olay concealer.

Unknown said...

I'm too lazy to use concealer and the only one I reach for to conceal dark circles is Bobbi Brown creamy concealer

welldressedmaker said...

thanks for doing this! I haven't had to use concealers, but I just noticed that recently I've been developing dark circles. EEEEEK!
♥ laurathe blog of worldly delightsthe shop of worldly delights

ice pandora said...

Concealers are not the
same as BB cream right?
:o

xx

Mai said...

You've got me wanting to get the Maybelline Mineral Powder Concealer! I've been trying to find a good one for my undereyes and the fact that it's a cheap option is definitely gaining favor with me

Sharlynn said...

love your collection of concealers! I personally don't use much on my under eye area but more on specific spots on my face with spots or fading pimple scars!

I really like how the tarte consistency seems to be, so creamy and a nice shade. I use concealers daily on my face almost like spot foundation. I almost don't use any foundation at all, maybe just a dab on my nose and forehead but otherwise

I do spot concealing with my maybelline mineral power one like yours or I use ZA which is a sister brand of shiseido which is pretty good too, of medium coverage.

I've yet to try a 'salmony' toned concealer although I used to have the maybelline one in shade 2 which was very orangey. The IT one looks super pigmented like acrylic paint! (mind the comparison!)

Thanks for sharing! :))

CuteDumpling said...

I've nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award.. <3

Eden-Avalon said...

I need concealer, badly. But I honestly almost NEVER wear it. ; w ; Sigh.

Rola said...

I have tried the Maybelline one and I liked it. The Benefit Erase Paste did not work for me, I like the Bobbi Brown corrector much better.

t said...

Right now I'm using a Cover Girl concealer

http://initialed.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is a nice post-- I am also a concealer addict but I haven't used ANY of these (said to myself with a hint of surprise). I actually really like the Sephora brand concealer, mostly because it is the most perfect match for my skin, and a good thickness-- not too thick, not too watery. I also use Bobbi Brown's corrector (amazing), and Laura Geller's The Real Deal concealer which is probably like the IT cosmetics one-- super heavy duty. I DON'T leave the house without undereye concealer!

Beauty Box said...

You are so funny!! I think the one I can talk about the most is foundation. Concealers are the opposite for me...They are a pain in the butt but necessary for those "insane" days. I use Clinique Anti-blemish concealer (not sure if the salicylic acid actually works in such a small amount) for general redness and scars. For huge pimples - Laura Mercier Secret Concealer which doesn't work well under the eyes because it is quite thick. I have a MAC studio sculpt wand-type of salmon concealer for under the eyes that is quite useless for me because I realized that I don't have dark undereye circles...just big eye bags! So my next concealer purchase will be the famous Cle De Peau one!! I used it on my wedding day and it literally erased 95% of my bags!

Anonymous said...

i love my benefit erase paste! :D i also really like ysl touche eclat for under the eyes currently x

Unknown said...

Oooo great choices! The It Concealer really does look super opaque. I always have lots of darkness under my eyes so that one would probably be perfect for me. I've heard a lot of good things about the Maybelline Minerals concealer but I am normally very weary of purchasing drugstore face makeup because of the shades and colors.

Mana said...

OMG! I'm so glad I read this post because I'm quite the concealer junkie! I've got really dark circles too and am always looking for a nice moisturizing concealer since I've got fine lines underneath my eyes =( I will definitively try some of these. I'm most interested in the tarte one and the first lancome one posted (the names are too complicated for me to remember right now haha) Thanks so so much for this post!

Mana said...

P.s Concealer is my weapon of choice if I were to leave the house with only one make up product on my face!

Oreleona said...

thanks for the review! now i know what concealers to buy h=that work :) i keep having problems with finding the right one