Friday, December 16, 2011

Best of 2011 Series: Skincare

2011 is coming to a close very soon - in a matter of days! There's never enough time in the year for blogging right? So many things to try, so little time! It's about time to start a "best of" series that will cover everything  I've used this year that I loved and the standouts and notable mentions from skincare to makeup.

I'm starting with skincare because it's the first and last things I use on a daily basis - very much an understatement to praise its importance.


Best High End Cleanser
Philosophy Purity Made Simple One Step Facial Wash 


This is a holy grail product. It's the best cleanser I have ever used. I currently don't have any pictures of it because I am due to order soon. I wish I did a formal review, but sometimes you overlook the best things ;) I couldn't find any fault in it. None! It lathers nicely, and dissolves dirt and cleans exceptionally well. I love the scent of sage.

Best Drugstore Cleanser
Loreal Skin Genesis Cream Cleanser 
I absolutely love this cleanser. It has little micro beads in so it's stronger than the Philosophy one but it's equally as awesome. The cleanser is a clay texture but once it gets in contact with water, it lathers up really nicely. This is definitely going to be a repurchase after repurchase because it leaves no residue and has kept my skin supple and soft - and most importantly - clean.


It also smells like the Ralph Lauren perfume in the blue bottle ;) Is that a bonus or what?

Avalon CoQ10 Face Wash - Notable Mention

This is one of my favorites along with the Vitamin C one (not pictured). Avalon makes amazing cleansing gels. I love it for many reasons - calming, ease of pump, and value. It never dries out my skin, ever :) This is definitely a go-to cleanser always. And priced at less than $10 at most drugstores and online, it's one of the best I've used. 

Best Toner - Alba Hibiscus Facial Toner
It's an all natural refreshing and crisp toner that is jam packed with flower and fruit enzymes. It provides a conditioning base before your face cream(s) and prevents breakouts. Another added bonus is the lovely smell of citrus and bergamot! Very pleasant.

And for a drugstore toner, this is all wins! Retails less than $10 and is a joy to use.



Best Sunscreen - Shisedo Ultimate Sun Protection


You can read my past review here. There's not much to say about this sunscreen except that it's everything I wanted and more. It's moisturizing, matte and comfortable upon wearing. I wouldn't part with it if I had a choice, and something that will be on my repurchase list over and over again :)

Estee Lauder Daywear Plus - Notable Mention ;)


I really like this cream for a variety of reasons. One being that it is really light and highly moisturizing and two because of it's antioxidant rich. This day cream feels luxurious the moment you wear it and the scent is lush and garden-like. Aside from my fanatical love for this cream, the price is too steep to continuously purchase ($40+ for 1.7 oz) but i know CCO's regularly have discounts so it may work out.


Best Eye Product- SkinCeuticals NighttimeEye Renewal Gel 


This product is by far the best eye serum I've ever used. Good value for the price ($36/1oz), hydrating and Because it is in gel form, the ingredients are absorbed easily and doesn't just sit on top of your skin like a regular eye cream.

+ 5% hydroxy acid to help exfoliate and promote skin turnover.
+ Hydrating gel formula for easy absorption

I also love that it has a little dropper and you only need a little bit to use all around your eye. I've noticed my eyes are more hydrated and softer around the area.

Best Facial Serum - Philosophy When Hope is Not Enough

Serums are seriously the most important part of the skincare routine because of its potent ingredients and the extra antioxidants to keep your face looking youthful. I've tried a handful of treatments throughout the years, but this is a standout. This serum gives that extra boost of vitamins. Granted, the only complaint I have is that the scent is gross. It's like a strange concoction of laboratory smells, but overall it is the best serum I've used to date.

+ Oil free
Pentapeptide-3 imparts elasticity, firmness
vitamin C, and vitamin E
Sodium hyaluronate lightly hydrates the skin
Chaparral extract minimizes unwanted facial hair (random...? yes.)
+ Made without Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances, Synthetic Dyes, Phthalates, GMOs, Triclosan


I also have another serum that cost over $100+ that I won in a giveaway (luckily) but it's nothing compared to the Philosophy one! This one is mid-range around $40 for 1 oz. Amazon is currently selling it for $37.00.

Best Day/Night Moisturizer - Origins Start Over 

I use this moisturizer day and night after cleansing my face. It's lightweight and has a wonderful texture which i love. It claims to reduce fine lines and wrinkles with a variety of ingredients, but all I really love it for is how it softens my skin.

Laneige Snow Crystal Leave-in Mask - Notable Mention

Ever since I was gifted this from a friend, I haven't stopped using it. It's a liquidy gel-like texture that emphasizes maximum hydration for overnight. See my detailed review here. It's an amazing skin booster, truly. I haven't had one bad experience with this moisturizer and have continuously purchased it. Using it once or twice a week, this lasts me about 7 months!

Best Overall Skin Treatment - Vitamin E Oil

I've only raved about this. See my reviews here and here. It's pure love. One of the best things I've ever used on my skin.

So that's it! This list seems pretty extensive but it's actually a very low maintenance routine that involves good products with tried and true methods. I don't believe quality skincare should cost a small fortune, but looking at the ingredient list to make sure what you're using is good is important. From time to time, I like to find comparable ingredients to high end skincare. It makes the search fun and worthwhile, especially if you land a gem that works for you.

Stay tuned for my next best-of series! What do you guys want to see first? Foundations, blushes, lip products? :)

32 comments:

Alexis the Honey B said...

i LOVE the way philosophy products smell!!!! This is an awesome post. I have to add some of these on my list of things to get!

Larie said...

I have been looking for some extra care for my skin - maybe a night cream or a serum. I will have to look into the Philosophy one. Great post - there are so many skincare options out there, it's always nice to see reviews :D

Amy said...

Oooo!
I've seen the philosophy cleanser on tons of blogs, but I'm not ready to commit yet! Haha! :D
This is a nice~ Thanks for sharing!

MissS.elle said...

I loveeeeeee all of your skincare posts! :D Philosphy purity made simple is definitely my all time HG, but I was searching for a drugstore one and I think I might try the L'oreal one :P I've been thinking trying the taiwanese line Naruko too but I'm not too sure of it.. Have you ever tried the Naruko line? :)

mizzsandychau said...

goodness! thanks so much for this post, so many products i haven't even heard about before but would love to try now after reading!

dani@callitbeauty said...

Ooh! I shall have to try the Skin Genesis cleanser coz I looove the makeup remover wipes!

Unknown said...

great picks, some of them i have never heard of but am interested in trying now! thanks for sharing :)

http://www.dear-diary.dawnelia.com/

Unknown said...

Purity made simple is hands down the best cleanser I have ever used. I bought the extra large bottle when I had the chance! Simple amazing.

Alex Elkins said...

Great post! Laneige is my FAVORITE skin care line (most of my routine is from it) but I haven't ever tried the snow crystal mask!! I'll have to try it one time :) I love their Strawberry Yogurt Pack! Also, Ralph is one of my favorite perfumes!! I'll def have to check out that cleanser too :)

Petite Gorgeous said...

This review is very helpful. In terms of drugstore products, I have been using the Olay Regenerist line. I will certainly check out the Loreal cleanser. Have been using the Sheseido sunscreen for years now :).

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

Good list. I want that Este Lauder day cream.
http://www.thegirlieblog.com

Stella said...

I love the Langeige mask, too. Will try the Vitamin E oil. Thanks. :)

Angela Ricardo said...

Great share for beauty list! I am into beauty products too... but lately I have decided to save up more for clothes and shoes. :)

Gloria said...

Oh thank you. I was looking for new eye cream and trying to explore skincare :)

Anonymous said...

I love this list!!! I just discovered Alba and am loving it!!

Makeup and Mutts said...

I need to try that toner! Fabulous post & really helpful

Jen said...

So much skincare.. somehow I feel bad for not having such a huge routine like this XD I haven't tried that specific Laneige mask but I'll definitely keep it in mind :D

P.s. i'd love to see your best of 2011 foundation series next :D

Unknown said...

OMG I've been so curious about that Alba toner. I've seen it at my local RiteAid. Thanks for the quick review.

By the way, thank you for the sweet comment you left on my Nutcracker post. It's so cool that you did ballet too! They are going to have it again next year, and if you're ever in L.A. I'll hook you up with tickets. I promise!

WICKERMOSS said...

oh shoot this is a good post- best of 2011 series!! i loved all your products:)) now I regret not getting that shiseido spf last week:)

sugar sugar said...

i like your list! i see that we use the same products LOL! xD

Unknown said...

HI BEUTIFUL GIRL!!!
I THINK THAT THIS POST IS REALLY INTERESTING....AND YOUR BLOG IS SO FASHIONABLE!!!

WE COULD FOLLOW EACH OTHER!!!! I'LL WAIT YOUR ANSWER ON MY BLOG....AND THEN I'LL FOLLOW YOU BACK.... :)

http://thechicetoile.blogspot.com/

XOXOXOXO

Blush said...

Great skincare choices there! I haven't tried any but have heard of a few so I might give a few of these a try in 2012 :)

Eugenia said...

Ooo I need a new toner, that one sounds good!

Bravoe Runway said...

Shockingly, I've not tried any of these products. I am a die hard clarins and clinique loyalist, and yes I know how it feels to be buying $80 creams...let's not think about it... Philosophy is a great line I'm definitely interested in that cleanser.

나니 said...

I'm a SUCKER for the purity cleanser as well! I LOVE IT. It does tend to be a bit rough on my poor, sensitive skin (lolz), but I get by with a good moisturizer (that I'm currently not the lucky owner of.. "-__- whoops~)
Either way, I just wish it was available in my country :C

Angie | Pandaphilia.com said...

it's amazing that you have the patience to put all this on your face. no wonder you have such radiant and beautiful skin :D i'm a pimply freak during exam weeks hahaha

Anonymous said...

this is a great post! I think i may do something similar although everything I've used hasn't changed that much. The eye gel sounds really good!

ShinyPrettyThings said...

i love Shiseido sunscreen. the milky texture is so easy to spread.

Lisa said...

i've never used serums before i'm kinda embarrassed to admit it but i've always been confused as to what serums really do haha but now that you've recommended one and have listed the benefits i will definitely try it out!!!

Lisa said...

I have a HUGE bottle of Philosophy Purity that I'm waiting to use as soon as my other cleansers run out.

Unknown said...

How come you only use Laneige once or twice a week? O.o;

jessie said...

Hi there! i was wondering if this product is still available in singapore? thanks!

J.