Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Review: Dior Icone Foundation

I am back from sunny San Diego! It was one of the best weekends I've had all year, and probably one of the busiest. Theme parks galore. I am not kidding. I went to Seaworld, the Wild Animal Safari Park and the zoo. All in one weekend. I also ate at Hodad's, Hash House and some other SD hot spots.

Anyway, I wanted to briefly review the Dior Icone Foundation. Actually I meant to review this nearly a year ago. Gah, how time flies! Well, if you continue to read my review, you'll see why it took me so long to properly review it. It's also a discontinued product now, but I'm still compelled to write about it because you can still find these everywhere.



This is a mattifying cream to powder foundation that's conveniently packaged for travel in a twist cap tube. It reminds me of a bb cream. Aesthetic-wise, I always picture Dior foundations in luxurious glass bottles.


The texture of this foundation is light and airy. I'd say it's like between Maybelline mousse foundation and powder in a tube. It goes on completely matte on your face and has decent oil control throughout the day. The scent is the signature Dior smell in all their foundations.


Shade: Linen (21)



The coverage is pretty good, sheer to medium but it's not enough for dark circles or blemishes.

I'm not normally a huge fan of very matte foundations. It looks so flat? But then again, it's a personal preference and many people swear by the MUFE mat velvet+ (review here). I prefer dewier/satin finishes because it makes my skin look more youthful and natural. But the matte finish is perfect for photos and videos. It's a pretty nice foundation, but I suppose it's discontinued now because many women prefer something more moisturizing. Yeah.

Do you have a go-to matte foundation? Or do you also prefer satin finishes? I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)

23 comments:

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

San Diego - brings back beautiful memories. Sure could use some sun right now.

I think the foundation looks great on you, even if you are not a fan of matte.

www.geekettegazette.com
www.thegirlieblog.com

ShinyPrettyThings said...

oh wow, im surprised by how simple the packaging is for this foundation! i def imagine the heavy glass bottles they usually come in too. i've never seen this before! i think it looks great on you even if u prefer dewy finishes =]

glad u had a great time in SD!! haven't been back to sea world in years!

Jen said...

OOh... i hope you had a great trip, so many theme parks makes me feel young ;DD

Foundation looks .. average? no offence.. it looks like it hasn't done much to your already almost perfect skin :O

Beauty Box said...

Def satin/glowy finish for me...it's more youthful looking too.

herroyalbleakness said...

Hey, welcome back!

The foundation looks good on you. I honestly don't think it's flat matte to look at, at least in the photos above. It's just like second skin!

mizzsandychau said...

you're back! can't wait to see pictures from your trip!
nope, i'm not Taiwanese, it's actually my first time in Taiwan! i love it there so much.
yeah i loveeeee the airport, can't believe every gate has its own theme!

Amy said...

Yeah, I prefer the dewy finish too! It's a really small preference thing. I just prefer the look that it gives me like I'm glowing haha. Thanks for the review!

Unknown said...

Oh SD? Haven't been there in a while. I am not a huge fan of So Cal, since I live in North California. Lol. Sounds like you had fun though ^_^
This look really nice on you! I do prefer dewier foundations as well though.

welldressedmaker said...

YAY! glad to hear you had a fun weekend! I haven't been to a theme park in FOREVER! I need to think about going to one soon.... I wanna feel like a kid again! hahaha.

I'm like you, I prefer dewier foundations... but this looks really good for everyday use!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Bravoe Runway said...

This is very simple for Dior! I was imagining a frost glass bottle with gold lettering and a navy blue cap with gold finish that has CD embossed! Anyways, it sounds like it'd be a great finish, I get Smashbox Studio wear foundation. LOVE IT!

MereMakeupManiac said...

wow, i love theme parks - am sure you enjoyed big time!

personally, i would love dewy foundations if it didn't only make me look uber shiny! i've oily skin. i envy that your skin can properly wear them! been reading and hearing a lot of Dior and other high-end brand foundation raves but i don't want to give in as they are just so so expensive. at least for MUFE i can only use some and it'll last for a long time. count me as a MUFE Mat Velvet+ fan! :D

Unknown said...

I also prefer dewy or satin finishes but since I started using massive amounts of sunscreen, the finish with using matte products on top is better.

Mai said...

a very nice finish on skin, great review

CMPang x
http://maisecrets.blogspot.com/

Jamilla Camel said...

Thanks for the review. I will confidently ignore this one! Can't wait to see more on SD!

Kim said...

waah your skin looks super healthy on the pic, thx for your comment too, I didn't know that the mist is really popular right know. lulz. but that's definitely my HG >.<~

??? said...

ive used the icone primer, and i had an allergy out break from it...since then i tend to steer clear of Dior foundies...but i think they look good on you though



Jessy
threenothing.blogspot.com

MizzJ said...

Wow it just disappeared into your skin! That's great shade matching. Hmm dewier does sound nicer, but I haven't found many foundations that actually do that?

Unknown said...

The shade you got matches you perfectly! It looks very good on you, but I agree that I do prefer slightly more dewy foundations too. Matte finishes are okay in the summer, but I have very dry skin in the winter and feel like matte foundations just exaggerate the dryness of my skin even more.

Roxanne said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I really hope you find the Wet n Wild I <3 Matte Palette. I was so excited when I finally found it in my local Walgeens. It is a Walgreens-exclusive product. I found it in a separate area from the main Wet n Wild display. So far, I've only seen the Revlon Lip Butters in that grocery store. Walgreens and CVS hasn't had any in their displays so far. But if you should find it and buy one, I'm prety sure you'd want the other shades!

FOLLOW MY BLOG:
http://mestisa18.blogspot.com/

ice pandora said...

A Dior product should be in a glass bottle!
Anyway... thanks for the review :)

xx

Haus of Style said...

I've never been much of a foundation girl - I always stick to bare minerals and only when I need it. As I get older though I think I might need more coverage. I don't know if I would spend so much on Dior though but it's good to see different things and compare. Thanks for the review.

Unknown said...

I love matte foundations and I actually love the flat look lol...this foundation looks really nice on you. You're skin looks really good.

Dang girl, you were all over SD. I'm glad you had an awesome time!

The Beauty-Addict said...

glad you had a fun weekend sweetie! you look so gorg on those photos! :)