Tuesday, May 11, 2010

ELF, elf and more ELF!

Hello everyone! =) I hope everyone had a good Monday. Summer is rolling around and I see a lot of people are going through the stress of finals. I wish you all luck on any finals/tests you have. I remember how it is! I hated every moment of it. But just remember, one test taken is one less to worry about and one step closer to your goals :)

I also wanted to share a few contests everyone should sign up for. Also, visit their blogs. If you're into makeup like I am, these gals are hardcore =p I'm sure they have their limits, somehow.



Cover Girl lipgloss or CG Shadow Stick 

 
Visit Serena's blog for more details :) 

And also!
 

Visit Littomokaa's blog for details! 

Anyway, as I've mentioned before, I did a little shopping during ELF's 60% off all studio line items. I bought 3 blushes, a bronzer/contouring duo thing, HD powder and a pressed powder for a little over $15 including shipping, which was around $6. LOL

I don't know why I have this sudden discerning interest in ELF products. I guess I haven't been let down by them and their products seem to be competitive quality to many makeup brands that I am loyal to. Here's what I got!


From R-L, these are my blushes! Glow, Peachy Keen, Candid Coral, and Blushed/Bronzed. The last one is a contouring/bronzer type thing. I thought they were really nice shades :) It was what I expected them to be.
It was a little hard to get a lot of color, which is the only flaw that I experienced while swatching them. I can see where the lasting power won't be TOO great but it might be good for layering the more pigmented blushes that you own. A lot of people are comparing the blushed/bronzed (last picture) to Nars Orgasm. I guess the packaging is similar, and the shade (pink one) is close. But Orgasm has that highlighting sheen to it that is very absent in the ELF one. However, price wise. That's where all the differences end. Orgasm retails about $25ish and my ELF one, with the 60% off was probably less than $3. Do you guys think this is dupe material? :) Again, for layering purposes, you cannot go wrong with these. Glow is also a great highlighting finish. Very pretty! A little subdue in terms of color, but it gives that dewy look to your cheeks when applied right.

Next, my face stuff.
 
 
Pressed powder, HD powder and concealer/highlighter duo (bought that one separately). The HD powder really peaked my interest because I've seen some reviews online about it. It's a very fine, extremely milled powder. Silky consistency. When I rub my fingers against this product, it's more fined than mineral foundations. This product is used to enhance parts of your face that you'd like to highlight. It gives off a nice reflective radiance to your face and softens up any look. I think it's perfect for nighttime use simply for its the "glowy" components in it. Very finely milled and comes with a little puffer for convenience. I haven't used it long enough to say if I love it, but I do like it. It's interesting! :) 

The pressed powder is wonderful! It's very soft and glides onto your skin like melting butter! =P It doesn't have a very "dry" consistency which is what most women hate in a pressed powder. Having blotches on your skin and product seeping into lines is the worst! But this powder has a little oil to it and feels really nice. I used it as a setting powder after applying my Dior sculpt foundation and it looked lovely. My face is not goopy, nor "cakey" and the powder settles in doing a great job on oil control. Also, the compact has a separator for the sponge!

Last, the concealer/highlighter duo. I actually really like this! I mixed the two colors onto my skin and blended it together. What came out of it was good coverage, and a very nice satin finish. I really like the white part of it which is supposed to highlight the darker areas like under your eyes. A little blending is all that it requires :) Wonderful product..
 
 With flash. I like how the powder didn't enhance any of my skin imperfections. It covered the pores pretty well and gave me a clear complexion. 

Light from my lamp to dim lighting. I used the blushed/bronzer duo, and a bit of Glow in the last picture. 

Here's everything I used!
 
 
 
FACE:
Diorskin Sculpt 
ELF blushed/bronzer duo
ELF Glow 
ELF pressed powder in porcelain 

EYES
Mac gel liner in Blacktrack
Estee Lauder bold volume lifting mascara
Clinique eyeshadow (forgot the shade! not pictured)

LIPS
Lancome gloss in Burning Up. One of my HG lippies.

I hope this review was helpful and/or informative! =D

Goodnight!
 

23 comments:

Lulu said...

hmm i've never seen glow before! and what a great deal on those elf stuff!! ahh i missed the 60% sale! i like their studio line brushes :)

s said...

Ooh I thought about getting that blush duo, but the shipping was too high for just 1-2 items. I can see it in that last photo, even in the dim lighting, and I like it!

I don't have pressed powder, and I'm not quite sure what it's for. Is it to control oily skin?

Sorry to hear that you couldn't spend Sunday with your mom, but you guys can celebrate when you do get to see her! Since I was on the east coast I didn't see my mommy either :(

Miss ♥ Nikka said...

Ugh! I missed their sale also! Seems like everyone is buying the ELF blushes! Am I missing out?!

Great FOTD, very natural. Pretty! :]

ectini said...

Thanks for the reviews/swatches! I was interested in the pressed powder but was afraid it would be too "cheapy" and powdery, and wasn't sure about the shades. It sounds really good though, and it looks great on you!<3 What shade did you get? I think maybe I would be similar.. thinking of getting one with my next ELF order : )

Edwina said...

ooo, i'm so glad you took advantage of that sale :) Great haul! I might get the contour / bronzing duo next time when there's a sale!! :D

- susy - said...

Ahhhhh I missed that sale.. I'm too lazy for online. I hate waiting for it to ship but I have ELF products at my local Target >.< Do you?
I've been skeptical about trying their face products but maybe i'll give it a try after your review. Have you tried their lip glosses? They are AMAZING!!!!! Not sticky at all!

ChyiX2 said...

Dang, I can't believe I missed the 60% sale. I must've been in a cave or something. Your skin looks really good.

Leenda said...

Great and thorough review! I find myself addicted to ELF products too lately. hahah The ELF Glow blush reminds me of Nars Albatross blush. I've never used it, but I've heard it great for highlighting. =]

Gizelle Faye | Vanilla Ice Cream said...

wow, you sure do buy lots of amazing products.
wish i can try them out...i don't have we have ELF here yet...

♥ vanilla ice cream's 200 followers giveaway! ♥

Mary said...

awesome haul! I don't own much of ELF, but you def gave a good perspective of the line!. I would def check it out!

Angelique said...

Hey Babe! love all the stuff you got. Crap, now I have to take a look at those blushes again. I didn't want to buy them before.. but maybe... now I will. LOL

Shia-Shia said...

awesome make up...looked very natural (^^)

please do visit & follow me
http://natalieshiashia.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

LOVE your FOTD! I am always interested in buying ELF products but also always hesitated to pay the shippping cost lol. Anyway I got you the sweet Blog award tho you probably got it before from Edwina.. well the whole point is I want to say thank you for supporting along the way (*tears)I have a mini giveaway but i put u in already :) ok i suck at talking so i should stop now, bye!

beneath the glass said...

i love elf because they're so cheap, but nice quality (i'm not super picky, lol). I think i have that last blush/bronzer duo, i use it all the time :)

Angie | Pandaphilia.com said...

I absolutely love ELF. In fact, I'm quite jealous you bought all these nice Studio blushes! I've been wanting to try the hot pink ones :)

Yeah, Fiberwig was an investment that I risked and boy it works! I managed to rationalize myself into buying such an expensive mascara, but if it works better than 3 drugstore ones combined, why not use it? Awww, maybe you can nab another one on sale ;)

I'm an ELF makeup addict, as you can see from all my FOTD's lol. I should compile a list of what to get and what not to get someday and post it! ^__^ There's some crap that's just awful and some amazing finds.

Lol my skin is barely flawless, but the trick is ELF Studio Concealer Pencil & Brush in Light (perfect for asian tones), then ELF Studio Complexion Complexion to matte-ify and unredden :)

mel said...

loved reading this, it was helpful:) make up posts are always so inters3ting and the products are always great
xx
mel

peterbellandtinkerpan.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

HiHi :D thanks for the comment and following!

Lovely ELF haul.. I havent bought them in a long time, looks like they come a long way! I heard many good things about the orgasm dupe blush!

Anyway I love your FOTD, very cute and pretty! I really liked how you lined your eyes :D looking forward to seeing more posts from you :)

*Anita* said...

what an amazing deal for the ELF stuff! i like their brightening eyeshadow quads and shimmering facial whip highlighters from their regular line. i also have a couple of blushes from their Studio Line and they're decent. i haven't tried out their powders before. i guess some things are either a hit or a miss! nice review! :) xx

Lesley said...

Great post! I'm going to have to check out ELF makeup!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone!! :)

-AnGiEpInK- said...

Awww darl..You look gorgeous as always..=)..Love your big eyes..^_^..

Babybubblz said...

I love the ELF studio line too! I'm so jealous you took advantage of the deal =) The best item for me is the flat top 'powder brush,' it's great for blush.

You've peaked my interest in the pressed powder!

I will be following too =)

Mindy♥ said...

Hi! I will now be YOUR new follower! LOL! Nice blog hon! and I love ELF products. :)