Monday, March 8, 2010

Physicians Formula Review

I recently bought the Physcians Formula powder foundation with SPF 50 in Natural Beige. After applying it recklessly for a few days, I have come to the conclusion that it's good, but not great. The wow factor isn't off the charts or anything although the neatly packaged goodie is fun to look at. Orangey, small and compact, purse-ready for any gal.



The product itself was a-okay. When you apply it, the powder is extremely compressed and you don't get much of anything from the sponge. I wouldn't try it with a brush either, because you'd have no luck. Think compact foundation in a fridge for the whole day. Compressed. Even dehydrated. It's hard to believe that there is SPF 50 in here, because I thought it would be a little more oil based of course but it's more on the drier side. If you don't moisturize yourself properly, the powder will sink into all the lines and pores on your face. I made the mistake of using a light moisturizer and then using the powder for light coverage but I ended up looking very dry and my nose was peeling! I even exfoliated the night before. So instead, I used a richer day cream, Burt's Bees Radiance Day Cream, and the powder set perfectly with my face. The powder is more for oil control since it absorbs everything, so I'd definitely recommend it for people who have oily/combination skin.

There is a funny smell to it after the product is on your skin. It's hard to notice at first because there is no smell from the compact but I think once the zincs release onto your face, you walk around inhaling the metal-y smell of the powder. Yuck! I didn't like it one bit. It wasn't so much that the smell was overwhelming but you'd definitely notice.

Overall, I would rate this product a 3/5. It really is a great buy for $9 and while it isn't powdery smooth and soft, it is a good oil control compact. I don't think I'd repurchase it.

1 comment:

Mai said...

Ooh this sounded interesting, especially since ELF also came out with an SPF 45 powder.

I think I'll just stick to liquid sunscreens, sounds like it'd be more effective