Friday, September 18, 2015

Makeup Forever Smoky Extravagant Mascara


One of the most loved high end mascaras on the market, how does this actually compare to other high end brands and drugstore brands?

After trying this out and wanting to love it, I was wholly underwhelmed by this mascara. Sephora describes it as having a 4D technology that creates volume from any distance. Very ambitious!



Upon first application, I could already tell that the formula is really heavy. It's more hydrating yes, but the ratio of hydration to heaviness is unbalanced. The brush is also a cone shaped applicator which i didn't think separated my lashes. In fact, I felt that it was more clumpy than usual and very hard to maneuver because of the gigantic brush head.  



I didn't see any lengthening effect. I did see a bit of volume, but just a bit. Unfortunately, the formula smears across my eyes and does not look flattering. It also rubs off very easily as well. It's an OK mascara, and it might be great on others but it is just ok for me. I didn't love it, but what I do like is the intensity of the color. It's VERY black. 



In comparison to other high end brands, I would much rather prefer Lancome mascaras, particularly the Hynose line or the Hynose Doll Mascara). Read my review here :) 
Another favorite is the Benefit They're Real Mascara, which I think is an excellent alternative. Read my review here.
Also the Tarte Lights Camera Lashes mascara is quite nice too. You can read my review here.
My favorite drugstore mascaras are all from the Loreal line, particularly the Telescopic one (the one with the skinny brush) :)

All the mascaras above have one thing in common and it is the drier formula. Drier formulas tend to adhere to lashes in a more lightweight way, creating the "lift" easier. It also lasts longer, and comes off easier (non waterproof). Beyond that, there are lots of great mascaras out there, particularly drugstores. They're relatively inexpensive and you can try a whole bunch without busting your wallet.



Have you tried the Makeup Forever Smoky Mascara? Thoughts? :)





No comments: